New wheels - what tyres should i get.

Jonse

Reaction score
Hi Guys

just picked up my new wheels today :) BBS CH

null_zps5d137adc.jpg
[/URL]

They are staggered with 8J front and 9J rears. Im currently running on standard suspension but with the plan to go to HR lower springs next year.

What tyres do you recommend? The company suggest 225/40/18 all round.

I was thinking 225/40/18 on the front and 245/35/40 on the back.

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks

Ryan

225/40 is perfect on 8J but on the rear I think 245 would have clearance issues considering they are 9J! I guess back needs to be down on 225 also.

I would also suggest 225 due to clearance problems.
What offsets are the wheels?
I was looking at the BBS vz but was concerned about clearance issues as they are 8j et 44 and my S3 is lowered about 25mm and I don't really want any rubbing!

the ET is front 8J ET45 backs 9J ET42. So we saying 225.?

Would that be alot of stretch, i dont want to lose that much grip.

They would be stretched but if you fit anything bigger you will get quite bad rubbing.
I think I will get rubbing with 8j et44 and yours will sit another 14mm further out!

Wow how do you work out how much further it sits out then standard.

Dont know alot about ET.

Wow how do you work out how much further it sits out then standard.

Dont know alot about ET.

Here you go mate

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Just plug in standard wheel width and ET (7.5J ET54) and your preferred or new wheel size and it will work out it out for you.

ET is just about how much further the wheel sits from the hub to the arch in other words A3's standard is ET54 and the maximum which most go for is ET45+. I Personally am on 8J ET43 with 225/40.

Hope I ain't off topic :) and helped

Wow im not sure if i know how to use it but it shows my rear wheels will stick out my 31mm thats sounds like it will stick out loads :( i was hoping for flush

245s on the rear is doable but you'll need a fair amount of camber to avoid rubbing.

At the front it's a different matter and we had a serious amount of work getting 245s under there.

oh ok. Im looking to get some tyres today. Is it best to go for 225 all round then? or 225 on the rear and 215 on the front?

oh ok. Im looking to get some tyres today. Is it best to go for 225 all round then? or 225 on the rear and 215 on the front?

Its best to have the same tyre size all round.
225s should fit under the arches as mine was on 225x40x18s from stock but that assumes the offset of your rims is correct.

I know nothing about offsets but I do know that with everything very carefully worked out on mine that we had to go to adjustable topmounts to get sufficient front camber to get the 245s fitted.

Not a cheap option.

Its best to have the same tyre size all round.
225s should fit under the arches as mine was on 225x40x18s from stock but that assumes the offset of your rims is correct.

I know nothing about offsets but I do know that with everything very carefully worked out on mine that we had to go to adjustable topmounts to get sufficient front camber to get the 245s fitted.

Not a cheap option.

This, not forgetting if you run Quattro you need to ensure rolling diameter is within a stupidly fine tolerance.

This, not forgetting if you run Quattro you need to ensure rolling diameter is within a stupidly fine tolerance.

Absolutely.

Like all things Quattro and then check camber etc regularly.

225/35 will be fine, I'm on eibach sportline springs and running front and rear on 9J's front is 215/35 with spacer to give clearance, and rears on 225/35

Lovely wheels mate.....I agree with everyone and reckon a 225/40 will work perfectly on them.

Could you do me favour though.....post some pics up of the 9j rears please.

Thinking of buying some CH's later this year and I want to see how much concave there is on them.