New tyres

Check out the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4. That's a velvet like material on the sidewall. Pretty cool.

Uploadfromtaptalk1454230582251

Reactions: Rob2k68
My Contiinental Sport 5 tyres were pretty good. I had no real issues with them.

Just over 14.5k covered and probably could have eaked out a bit more mileage from them (if i had swapped about) as had about 3.3mm on front and about 4mm on back.

But saw a great price on Tyreleader for a whole new set and have a big road trip ahead shortly so thought why not and took the plunge.

Plumped for the New Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 3 tyres with MFS. Glad I didnt need them in a rush as Tyreleader although cheap (£73 each) and in stock with a 48/72 hr delivery window actually took a week to deliver.

Had them fitted this week.....

From this - Old Continental Sport Contact 5 - which I thought were pretty good- even wear and still grippy despit being just over the bar indicators

To these new Eagle F1 Asy 3's

They feel pretty good , although still bedding them in. Havent noticed any significant reduction in noise ( apparently a quiter tyre ) but turn in is very confident. But they are new tyres!

Wheel protection however is non existent. Compared with the Asy 2 s and the pics people have ppsted there is zero overlap. You cannot put even 1X £1 coin on the tyre.

Alloygators deff going back on.

It's all going to come down to individual wheel width and alloy design ultimately .

I can't see them changing the asset of a USP.

2016 02 06 120507

Choose a max width tyre as on the right of this table and the Goodyears should give epic protection .

Untitled-35.png

This is a 235 on a 7.5"

IMG 1705 zpsab079377

But going wider with the tyre has its own drawbacks so ultimately its an unnecessary wheel width problem that also carries more unsprung weight .

Last edited:
The Asy 2's had two versions I believe one with and one without rim protection - does yours say rim protector on the sidewall like this :-
kCjiicDJ

Would be a shame is they've dropped or reduced this on the Asy 3's.

Hi Guys..

Mine are 18's with standard S3 alloys.

Ordered the MFS versions as I knew the ASY2's had 2 versions with and without protective flange... (Got to love that word )

Anyway just popped out and double checked all mine.

Yep all state the protective flange. All I can say is lord forbid if u order without the flange as its non esistent with the standard alloys and standard fit 18 tyres with the new ASY 3's!!

Gators back on

Reactions: Zak0123 and Rob2k68
That is very disappointing that the Assy 3 has nowhere near the same amount of Rim Protection as the Assy 2.

That is very disappointing that the Assy 3 has nowhere near the same amount of Rim Protection as the Assy 2.

Indeed V8, and exactly why I posted incase anyone else thinks these tyres will offer protection like the ASY 2, because on the standard alloys they do not !! ( well not on mine anyway ) Gators well and truly back on!!

Indeed V8, and exactly why I posted incase anyone else thinks these tyres will offer protection like the ASY 2, because on the standard alloys they do not !! ( well not on mine anyway ) Gators well and truly back on!!

Thanks for sharing - would prob make me look elsewhere next time.

Any Pirelli P zeros on here ?

Like I said it will all come down to individual wheel width and wheel design.

Luckily I have images of someones ASY 2 on my exact alloy with epic rim protection.

And further images with another after market alloy and ASY 2 tyre of the same sizes still with epic rim protection .

I will probably just order 1 ASY 3 and have it fitted and compare , if it's not the same as ASY 2 I'll reject cause they certainly are marketing ASY 3 with epic rim protection .

2016 02 06 120507

Jungle and I have the same 7.5J C0Z Standard S3 alloy.

From post #41 this is a photo of the Assy2 on that wheel.

ZDrqBrY.jpg

His photo of the Assy3 (post #84) on the same 7.5J wheel shows no rim protection.

The design of the standard S3 C0Z 7.5J 18" alloys is such that the outer bead of the tyre sits more inboard compared to other alloys, thus negating the generous rim protection afforded by the Assy2. And it looks less with the Assy3 on the same wheel.

Jungle and I have the same 7.5J C0Z Standard S3 alloy.

From post #41 this is a photo of the Assy2 on that wheel.

ZDrqBrY.jpg

His photo of the Assy3 (post #84) on the same 7.5J wheel shows no rim protection.

The design of the standard S3 C0Z 7.5J 18" alloys is such that the outer bead of the tyre sits more inboard compared to other alloys, thus negating the generous rim protection afforded by the Assy2. And it looks less with the Assy3 on the same wheel.

Exactly... Thx V8.. Jungle.

^ They sure are.

Designed to easily damage the diamond cut face! ;)

When I got my tyres fitted, the fitter who did the job said to me that he loved the Assy2's, he had them on his Focus ST, and loved the generous rim protection on them.

When he put the Assy2's on my car, he was shocked at how the wheel had negated the rim protection, he had to triple check that it was the correct/same tyre as his!

Just had 4 F1 Assy3's fitted and can confirm no rim protection. I have the standard S-Line alloys on my S3, so not just the standard S3 wheels have the issue. I didn't check before buying and fitting them and was surprised with the lack of protection. So beware if you are going for these tyres.

Reactions: jungle650 and Rob2k68
Pirelli P Zero 235/35X19 on 8Jx19 saloon alloy, £2.50 id say almost £3 :-

Reactions: traindweller, jungle650, pburv and 2 others
Got a tapping screw in my rear left and need to replace my conti 5.

Both rears still have 7mm on, can I get away with replacing the 1? How much do they come with fresh?

Was looking at the goodyear eagle assy 3 but both EVO and AE didn't rate the assy 2's that highly, coming 4th/6th, both had the conti 5 as best tyre in the majority of tests and overall winner by a margin. Performing well in both dry and wet.

But obviously guys on here don't seem to rate the conti's?

Road noise seems one of the main reasons but they came above the goodyear and michelins in cabin noise tests.

Last edited:
The Conti 5's fitted at the factory are the AO version

The Conti 5's fitted when the reviewers test them are the non AO version

Slightly different compound

Even so nobody seems to go for the non-AO when changing. Looked up and they usually come with 8mm on new so have only lost 1mm in 15k miles!

FWD I guess, fronts are down to 4. As don't really need to do the other tyre I guess best to keep the same and go for the conti.

What's the actual difference?
Are they all suitable for an S3?

I was going to order these

These confuse me... Audi badge but crap economy rating...

Reactions: pburv
What's the actual difference?
Are they all suitable for an S3?

I was going to order these
View attachment 80992

These confuse me... Audi badge but **** economy rating...
View attachment 80993
I might be wrong but I think the Audi brand ones have a slightly different compound to the non Audi brand but they both have the same tread pattern etc. There won't be much difference between both so I should imagine they will be ok for the S3..:friends:

I might be wrong but I think the Audi brand ones have a slightly different compound to the non Audi brand but they both have the same tread pattern etc. There won't be much difference between both so I should imagine they will be ok for the S3..:friends:

but £40 more (I'm buying 4) and they'll give worse economy... just don't get it... :shrug:

but £40 more (I'm buying 4) and they'll give worse economy... just don't get it... :shrug:
Don't worry about it and go for the lower price ones..You would be silly not to..:friends:
The only visual difference you will notice is the lack of AO letters on the side wall...:readit:

Don't worry about it and go for the lower price ones..You would be silly not to..:friends:
The only visual difference you will notice is the lack of AO letters on the side wall...:readit:
I had a similar dilemma when I purchased a set of Conti's for My old A3 and when I quoted the price difference to the tyre depot. They just matched the price of the Ao tyres.From what I remember they were roughly £10.00 more expensive for each tyre.What helped with the haggling was I ordered 4 tyres..:shrug:

I had a similar dilemma when I purchased a set of Conti's for My old A3 and when I quoted the price difference to the tyre depot. They just matched the price of the Ao tyres.From what I remember they were roughly £10.00 more expensive for each tyre.What helped with the haggling was I ordered 4 tyres..:shrug:
Can't remember what I originally posted here, or afterwards.... so I will say "huzzah"

Rim protection on the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 19' OEM wheels. Not quite as good as Pzero as its a flatter/Squarer design but better than Eagle F Asy3.

About 2 X £1 coins

IMG 2677

IMG 2678

Jungle

2 £1 coins is still very good .

Agreed , I will take that!

For pure Tyre rim protection on the OEM Diamond Cut wheels the Pzero's though take some beating!

Jungle

@Rob2k68 posted a pic above, but what it doesnt show you is how the wall protrudes out on the Pzeros. See below

IMG 2644

IMG 2680