New tyres, which are good value?

Ajcman

Reaction score
Hey guys and gallstones

I'm looking for some new tyres for the front of my 2.0 Tdi A3 245/45/R18. Currently there GY Eagle f1 assymetric 2's and the backs are assymetric 3's.

Is it worth going for 3's on the front to or go for something else? I enjoy the 2's more as they have that extra curb protection over the 3's but I'm open to other brands entirly of they are a better value tyre.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1488970313439.jpg
    FB_IMG_1488970313439.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 179
Just stick with the 3's and match the rears. They are still a great tyre.

Reactions: Ajcman
I've just put two AS3's on my one, but the seller, my son and another A3 owner, swears by Hankook for about £30.00 less a corner.

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
I didnt know A3s could come with 245s? Are they genuine Audi wheels?

I would tend to keep the same brand of tyre on all four wheels, but I do have to recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - great tyre!

Reactions: danielwaghorn and S.
+1 to recommendation above: get all corners same.

I just bought 4 x Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2.

Recently put Michelin Pilot Sport 4's all round on mine and cannot fault them. There's a good bit of kerb protection with them, and nice and quite on the motorway whilst still gripping well.

Reactions: Raiden and Ajcman
Don't rule out Vredestiens, we have 3 sets on 3 different cars and love them, can't really say till some of tehm are bald how they will wear in teh longer term but may do a wee write up when I get to that stage. In your position I would probably match the Goodyears to keep them as close to the same as possible.

Barum Bravauris 3HM (Continental made). i can't speak highly enough of these, you DONT need to break the bank on tyres, these are superb for the price.

I've just come from Avon zz5s £75 a corner and onto Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, £103 a corner, and its night and day, PS4s are a superb tyre.

Reactions: S.
Whatever you select, make sure you swap the wheels round so the ones with the most grip are on the rear.

I've found f1 autocentres are doing Goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 3's at £82 a tyre all in online so I think I'm going with that option as I'm currently looking for new tyres

Just before winter I put on Cross Cilmates. Have to say, other than a bit more road noise they have been great in all conditions, including snow