New Tyres Required

Phil_RS3

Reaction score
I'm shortly going to need 4 new tyres for my 2018 RS3 saloon. It currently sits on OEM Pirelli P Zeros, 235/35 R19 all around. I don't do many miles, less than 5k per year, and generally just poodle around on fairly local journeys with just the occasional burst of 'quicker' progress. However, I will be tracking it a couple of times a year. So, which tyres to fit; stick with the P Zeros or switch to the Michelin PS4S, or something else? I don't want to fit track focused tyres like the Toyo R888r or Cup sport 2s.

So what do you suggest?

Phil

MPS4's............... Dont go for pirellis! Just swapped mine OEM tyres out for Michellin's, much better the originals and ive been lead to believe there'll last longer........ time will tell though

Reactions: RS3 S.
The new Michelin Pilot Sport 5 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 ?

I think it has been confirmed that the PS5 is the replacement for the PS4 not the PS4S.

Personally I would be waiting until the PS5S comes along before moving of PS4Ss

I'm shortly going to need 4 new tyres for my 2018 RS3 saloon. It currently sits on OEM Pirelli P Zeros, 235/35 R19 all around. I don't do many miles, less than 5k per year, and generally just poodle around on fairly local journeys with just the occasional burst of 'quicker' progress. However, I will be tracking it a couple of times a year. So, which tyres to fit; stick with the P Zeros or switch to the Michelin PS4S, or something else? I don't want to fit track focused tyres like the Toyo R888r or Cup sport 2s.

So what do you suggest?

Phil

I ran Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports for 2 years on my 8V. Great tyre and a pretty close rival to the MPS4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what do you suggest?

Phil
I've been using Continental Sport Contact 6 after watching a couple of tyre review videos. There still going on strong after 8000 miles (thats how long P Zeros lasted me).

I think it has been confirmed that the PS5 is the replacement for the PS4 not the PS4S.

Personally I would be waiting until the PS5S comes along before moving of PS4Ss

Screenshot 20220209 011750 Chrome

Reactions: L1ARR and Spencer589

Yes but there were situations also where the 4 could be quicker than the 4S in the wet. Doesn't make it a better tyre all round. Typical marketing speak. There is a 5S on the way and that is what I would be aiming for. RS3 can be hard on its tyres and the 4S copes well.

I like the PS4 too, good tyre. I have them on 2 of my cars and I am sure the PS5 is better but I doubt it is better than the 4S all round. I would want to see it in a couple of proper independent tyre tests (not just read the Michelin marketing) before I put them on a car.

Reactions: Gazwould
Sure will be interesting .
On YouTube in that 14 tyre reviews test where there are both UHP and UUHP .

Dry handling
3rd MPS4S
5th MPS4

Wet handling
1st MPS4
8th MPS4S

Personally I'd much favour wet handling over dry and considering MPS5 will be an evolution over 4 .

Personally I'd much favour wet handling over dry and considering MPS5 will be an evolution over 4 .
Agreed, that is why for the winter the RS3 sits on all-seasons that are particularly good in the wet.

I always say that there is no perfect tyre and you should pick your tyre for the driving you do and the conditions you see most. For you the PS5 may be the right tyre, for me it isn't.

For me the PS4S does really well for what it is capable of. Most of the capability of the Cup 2 but won't kill you in the wet like the Cup 2 will. For me it is the best compromise between handling, steering and being quiet and comfortable on runs. It takes the rough edge of the crap roads but I can still feel what the car is doing if I crack on.

Good write up on where the PS5 sits

What's your average speed over X amount of miles ?
Nothing out of the ordinary, I normally just poodle around on the public road with just a quick burst every now and then over a mile or two, as and when conditions allow. On track, my only experience is a few trips to Fay de Bretagne, which is a twisty circuit near Nantes built as a test track for Venturi cars. Around there I'd probably be looking at a high 60s (mph) as a lap average. However, I'm due to go to Goodwood at the end of April which should be 'interesting'!

Continental Sport Contact 6. There is an Audi spec tyre.
The best tyre I have ever used for road. Much better than the MPS4S that I had before.
So far I have the conties for bout 6000 miles and the are holding very well.

Continental Sport Contact 6. There is an Audi spec tyre.
The best tyre I have ever used for road. Much better than the MPS4S that I had before.
So far I have the conties for bout 6000 miles and the are holding very well.
There's a Sport Contact 7 now, been using the Sport Contact 6 myself and there holding up well for me.

7 has just done the impossible for a UUHP tyre as top dry handling comes at the expense of poorer wet handling where a UHP tyre prevails.

Hopefully the predecessors achilies heel of wear is addressed .

7 has just done the impossible for a UUHP tyre as top dry handling comes at the expense of poorer wet handling where a UHP tyre prevails.

Hopefully the predecessors achilies heel of wear is addressed .
Not sure about the wear issue. Have 10K on the conti 6, and I like heavy cornering and launching, about 50% thread life left.

Reactions: Spencer589
They're doing well for 10k, lol .

Screenshot 20220222 233039 Chrome

After much faffing about, and a number of non-car related delays, I've just had new Continental ContiSport 7s fitted all around. I'll post a comment on them once I've had them on a couple of months. (FYI - they cost £147 per corner fitted & balanced in Surrey).

After much faffing about, and a number of non-car related delays, I've just had new Continental ContiSport 7s fitted all around. I'll post a comment on them once I've had them on a couple of months. (FYI - they cost £147 per corner fitted & balanced in Surrey).
Almost a year on can I ask how you are getting on with these now? Just about to change tyres myself and the Conti7s are looking a good option. I'd love PS4/5s but they're silly money for the front 255 width tyres right now :(

They're very good, much better than the Pirelli P Zeros that were originally fitted. They're much better on turn-in, better grip both in wet and dry conditions and generally more stable. There braking performance is excellent, much better that the Pirellis. On the down side, the ride is a little harsher - stiffer side walls would be my guess, and very slightly noisier.

On a track day they performed very well, taking many more consecutive fast laps than the previous Pirellis on the RS3, or the Conti Sports 5s that I had on my previous S3. Very good, and consistent lateral grip and incredible braking grip.

Reactions: adzmofo
They're very good, much better than the Pirelli P Zeros that were originally fitted. They're much better on turn-in, better grip both in wet and dry conditions and generally more stable. There braking performance is excellent, much better that the Pirellis. On the down side, the ride is a little harsher - stiffer side walls would be my guess, and very slightly noisier.

On a track day they performed very well, taking many more consecutive fast laps than the previous Pirellis on the RS3, or the Conti Sports 5s that I had on my previous S3. Very good, and consistent lateral grip and incredible braking grip.
Thanks for the response. I'll get them ordered then :). Only strange thing is the wider 255 tyres seem to have the RP (Rim Protection) on them but the 235s don't.

Thanks for the response. I'll get them ordered then :). Only strange thing is the wider 255 tyres seem to have the RP (Rim Protection) on them but the 235s don't.
I've got the conti sport contact 7's in 235 on aftermarket wheels, they look a tiny bit stretched on 8.5j wheels but there's still rim protection. I have them in 255 on my stock wheels but they make the traction control a little bit sensitive. Next time I'll go 245/35.

Reactions: adzmofo