New Tyres and Tracking Done - ESP Issues now

Geoff-R

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me, I jut had 2 new tyres on the front of my car and had the tracking done at the same time. All good but I drove down the road and noticed my traction control kicking in, it seems worse when taking a left hand bend. Tyres on the front of the car are the same width and profile as the ones removed. Can anyone advise? Before anyone says no I didn't turn around and go back as I was in a rush to get back to work. If no one has any idea I will just call back and explain the problem, this can't be the first time it's ever happened I'm just apprehensive about having to take my car back down there and spend hours standing about.

ESP kicks in when the car detects wheelspin so maybe the tyres you put on have inferior grip to the ones you had on before hence the ESP kicking in more. you could try swapping your fronts to the back and vice versa to see if anything changes.

Is the steering wheel on straight?

<tuffty/>

I think I know what you're getting at here, possibly an issue with steering angle being thrown off? Steering wheel appears to be straight. Would it be worth my while re-calibrating the G85 sensor to remove any doubt?

vrbob, thanks for the suggestion, might be worth me swapping front to back but a bit dubious as to whether this will sort the problem. The new tyres have to be better than the old ones, they were shot to be honest.

Have seen an issue where the ABS sensor cable (in this case nearside front) had a fracture in it and the ABS would twitch when turning etc... you could feel it trying to kick in as you drove... I suspect this is what you are feeling maybe?

A scan with VCDS would most likely give you some info too... tbh it sounds like an ABS sensor issue to me...

<tuffty/>

I'll give it a scan with VCDS Lite tonight. My only issue is the ESP kicks in and then leaves no lights on the dash once it's done it's bit. Will the car log that as a sensor failure even if there is no light present on the dash during the scan? A quick search on other posts does indicate a sensor issue as well.