New tyre time for the b9

WesT-gefül

Reaction score
Finally getting a set of two tyres to go onto the car. Really looking forward to having these on. Goodyear Eagle asymmetrical 5. I have used asy3 in the past and found them to wear really well. Got the car with cheap tyres so I’m going to put the new set on the back as per good practice.

I run 255/35/19 (96Y) with FP (Rim protection) £129.84 each delivered which was a cracking price.

They come highly recommend by the tyre reviews guy.

Loads of good reviews too. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-5.htm

Great price, looking forward to hearing your experience of them. My 3's are still wearing really well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Camskills normally pretty keen on price .. (he says after just buying alloys and winters from mytyres.co.uk ..!)

Got the tyres delivered today. Man the tread is deep. The asymmetrical 5 looks mint. The rim protection on these 255/35/19 looks good as it’s a very deep inset, something I could tell just by looking at the tyre. Going to run down the tyres a little more before I put these on.

cb2a86fa9b8a90d95b12ff9a25389cd8.jpg

d69971ccac2244a81838fe06e6de6a8e.jpg

(See above rim inset) reminder these are for 255/
c5385fd9ecbd7183e3d53b544e25e565.jpg

0bd6c7f7317dedab519c459ec2fab51c.jpg

c6fd4c33df64f378cd3b741d7739c2ba.jpg

2cfff10d4b15efef36157e5f4014511f.jpg

2334de1140d15933fcd5bc48cf919c80.jpg

49b887e6a6d2510cd565dc5311bb49a1.jpg

f02a25ac3fdb18cad71a191cafb2d069.jpg

534c462fbdae8adc996b4a445b40f75f.jpg

bdcfb9368cd2e6b1bf593d4d6a3fdfb9.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the reviews you have made an excellent choice as they appear to be highly rated.
Hopefully they will be less noisy than the Michelin PS4S which I ditched after 1000km.
Currently using Conti 6 and my good lady's tweaked Tiguan R-line using the asymmetric 3s which are proving themselves to be a very good all-round tyre.
Look forward to an update/report after a few thousand miles.

Reactions: SMI77 and WesT-gefül
Getting all 4 of my tyres changed tomorrow to the Assy 5’s.

Been running Assy 3’s and over 16k miles still 4mm left, only changing as have an unrepairable puncture so just replacing all 4 a bit early just to keep the tread depth consistent on the Quattro.

Looking forward to the 5’s!!

Reactions: And1 and WesT-gefül
...Hopefully they will be less noisy than the Michelin PS4S which I ditched after 1000km.
Currently using Conti 6.......
We have had PS4S's, 255 x 19 on 9"rims, for 7ks, incl Brissy to Melb & back. Sorry to hear your story, after P Zeros these are fantastic. Noise is a little harsher, but prepared to put up for the gain. The tyre guys mentions that in the review. What pressures were you running? The Avant runs 39 f/r.
With the Conti's, are they Premium or Sports?

The earlier post of the comparison between the 3 tyres was on a fwd Golf GTI, which is some 400+kgs lighter.

I've a set of four 245/35/19 Goodyear eagle f1 supersports to go on the car next week (s4) I stuck with 245 even through 255 are cheaper, this is due to the fact that reports on the mounted width of the supersport being closer to 10mm larger than stated (A lot of UHP tyres and track tyres are constructed this way it seems).

I plan to scrub them in and compare 0-60 times on dragy to the best times I got on the OEM hankooks

I've a set of four 245/35/19 Goodyear eagle f1 supersports to go on the car next week (s4) I stuck with 245 even through 255 are cheaper, this is due to the fact that reports on the mounted width of the supersport being closer to 10mm larger than stated (A lot of UHP tyres and track tyres are constructed this way it seems)......
When we went from the P Zero's to the PS4S's, we did contact Michelin because had heard of the extra tyre width on the road. They confirmed this was correct, by wouldn't say any exact width.
The concern was, as we bought 255 vs OEM 245, with wheel/tyre clearance, particularly the front suspension/arches. As it turns out, 265 on 9" rims will fit & clear.

Getting all 4 of my tyres changed tomorrow to the Assy 5’s.

Been running Assy 3’s and over 16k miles still 4mm left, only changing as have an unrepairable puncture so just replacing all 4 a bit early just to keep the tread depth consistent on the Quattro.

Looking forward to the 5’s!!
HI what is your thoughts on the new goodyear asymmetric 5 Compared to the 3 are they as quiet?

When we went from the P Zero's to the PS4S's, we did contact Michelin because had heard of the extra tyre width on the road. They confirmed this was correct, by wouldn't say any exact width.
The concern was, as we bought 255 vs OEM 245, with wheel/tyre clearance, particularly the front suspension/arches. As it turns out, 265 on 9" rims will fit & clear.

Good to know actually

I suspect UHP tyres all cheat in this respect. To show an easy advantage over a competitor, just add a few mm to the rubber footprint.

They have all cottoned onto this now clearly!

OP,
How are you finding the Goodyear Assy 5s? Are they noisy? Considering getting them for my A6 in 255/40/R20 size but read some reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk that they're noisy as hell in 255/40/R20 size! I know you're bought them in 19" but would appreciate your thoughts!
Cheers

For what it's worth on my 2018 V6B9S4 fitted with 19s I tried/tested OEM fitted Hankooks, Micheline PS4S and Conti 5s during the first 5000kms and the latter were the quietest and most forgiving tyre at 40psi. Michelins incredibly noisy, Hankooks a close second to Contis. Driving in a sane manner with judicious use of the significant post-DTUK power available really nothing to choose between Conti and Michelins in the sharpness, turn-in and handling department. Wife's Tiguan fitted with Goodyear Assy 5s and we find them quite noisy noting those are 50 section 18s. Previously fitted with Assy 3s and we do not find them any quieter. If you can find some in the right size, the Pirelli PZero with NCS are almost silent - as though your ears are blocked after a rapid descent - I'd buy them again and every time if only I could find some in the correct size.

Safe motoring when you are allowed to leave home.

Dingah

Reactions: Filipão
Hi Dingah
Thanks for your feedback. Yep, its not easy to find a quiet tyre in the 20" segment. My A6 Avant (brand new) came with Pirelli P Zero's and like you say, they are damn quiet - I think they had some kind of foam blocks fitted for sound proofing. However after heavy snowfall in Scotland in Feb, they were pretty much dangerous in Wintry weather so got rid of them immediately. Replaced the Pirelli's with Vredestein Quatrac Pro all season tyres and they're far, far better than the Pirelli P Zero's in pretty much all weather conditions - except that they're noisy on certain road surfaces, especially rough tarmac. TBH I'm not too keen on the Conti SC 6 as I've read they wear out very quickly and at £210 a corner, they're not cheap to replace! I may decide to stick with my Quatrac Pro's and accept the noise as a minor inconvenience because I can't imagine many Summer tyres allowing me to drive to such places:

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

I’ve tried a few different tyres on our A4, but found the OE Hankook tyre to be really good. Just got a new set on the fronts a few weeks back.

OP,
How are you finding the Goodyear Assy 5s? Are they noisy? Considering getting them for my A6 in 255/40/R20 size but read some reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk that they're noisy as hell in 255/40/R20 size! I know you're bought them in 19" but would appreciate your thoughts!
Cheers
In the end I bought 4 x Continental Sport Contact 6 'ContiSilent' AO (Audi OEM) tyres in 255/40/R20. They arrived today and will get fitted tomorrow. They have an inner lining of foam which I presume helps reduce road noise...looks rather crude though lol. Will post my feedback after I've got them fitted and take the car for a test run.... sorry I meant driving to Tesco :)

I'm a big fan of the Goodyear Assy range and had them on my Impreza WRX - wear was good, quiet, and grip excellent in dry and good in wet. My S3 came with Hankook Advans which were equally impressive and incredibly quiet (might have been the move from the Subaru though !!).

So when I was buying my 67 plate "approved used" S4 a few months ago, it needed 2 new tyres, and I didn't think to ask what they would be, and they had fitted Falken Azenis FK510 (245/353/ZR19) and I decidede to pay for the other two to be replaced and have been well impressed - as quiet as the Hancooks or F1, maybe a touch quieter, and great grip wet and dry and it looks like you can get them for £125 a corner.

Not many people have heard of Falken, but I used them on the Subarus for years, and they were good in all respects (especially wear), and when I was in a Toyota (sorry to use that word here) and Falkens were fitted as OEM on some of the sportier models, so they've obviously come up in the world!

Reactions: psychopomp1
Yeah I would have loved to gone for the Goodyear F1 Assy 5's as this is arguably the best tyre wrt comfort, and performance is supposed to be amongst the best....yet its considerably cheaper than the Michelin PS4's and Continental CS6. However reports of annoying tyre drone in the 20" variants on tyrereviews.co.uk made me choose the CS6 instead. Hopefully the 'ContiSilent' technology on the CS6 does it job!

Got the Conti CS6 tyres fitted by a mobile fitting co this afternoon. Happy to report that there is no more annoying tyre drone like I was getting with the Vredesteins. The Conti's feel slighly more comfortable and the grip on them is really good.

I'll still keep the Quatrac Pros for winter use as they're excellent in the snow. Only thing with the Conti's, i'm getting tyre vibration when doing >50mph and the steering feels a bit unbalanced. I suspect one (or more) of the wheels hasn't been properly balanced and/or the wheel tracking or alignment needs to be adjusted. But I'll check the tyres pressures first when it stops raining, I asked for 40psi all round (as Audi recommend for 255/40/R20's) but he may have put in 50psi lol.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and cuke2u
So have people replaced their 245 tyres with 255s? If you have would lyou say they're better and worth doing?

Sorry if this has been answered my mind is frazzled in this lock down

I'm a big fan of the Goodyear Assy range and had them on my Impreza WRX - wear was good, quiet, and grip excellent in dry and good in wet. My S3 came with Hankook Advans which were equally impressive and incredibly quiet (might have been the move from the Subaru though !!).

So when I was buying my 67 plate "approved used" S4 a few months ago, it needed 2 new tyres, and I didn't think to ask what they would be, and they had fitted Falken Azenis FK510 (245/353/ZR19) and I decidede to pay for the other two to be replaced and have been well impressed - as quiet as the Hancooks or F1, maybe a touch quieter, and great grip wet and dry and it looks like you can get them for £125 a corner.

Not many people have heard of Falken, but I used them on the Subarus for years, and they were good in all respects (especially wear), and when I was in a Toyota (sorry to use that word here) and Falkens were fitted as OEM on some of the sportier models, so they've obviously come up in the world!
Had A Subie Liberty/Legacy turbo wagon & stayed with OEM Bridgestone RE050a's. More$$'s, but consensus of owners was definitely worth it, & was.
Out here Falken is popular & a good tyre, but more with Asian vehicles. Still have PS4S's & love 'em. 265 x PS4S (9" rims) next.
Heard of Yokohama Advans, but not Hankook Advans.

Had A Subie Liberty/Legacy turbo wagon & stayed with OEM Bridgestone RE050a's. More$$'s, but consensus of owners was definitely worth it, & was.
Out here Falken is popular & a good tyre, but more with Asian vehicles. Still have PS4S's & love 'em. 265 x PS4S (9" rims) next.
Heard of Yokohama Advans, but not Hankook Advans.
Oops - yes, Yokohama!

Just had 4 Continental Sport Contact 6 Tyres fitted on the drive for my summer wheels. Wheels were already off the car, cleaned with balancing weights removed. Good job done by the mobile fitter taking care not to damage the alloys. Impressed with the rim protection on the Contis, seems just as good as the Hankooks that they replaced. Ordered RO1 spec but they brought RO2 which is fine with me.

Just been out to check my tyres, and all 4 are just under 4mm (car coming up to 2 years old / 14k miles)... at what point do people replace theit tyres? Should I be looking to get another 6 months out of this set before changing? I've got a new set of wheels ready to go on, but wondering if I swap the tyres over or stick on a new set

My S4 Avant’s tyres needed replacing at 2 years old & 14k miles also. So after some research & deliberating I opted for Michelin’s Pilot Sport 4S
Over the Goodyear Asymmetric 5 based purely of better braking distances. From new my car came with Pirelli’s that I was never happy with they just never felt right. So when they were worn enough to justify replacing I was happy to spend the £700 to replace all four. The turn in & connection to the road is far superior to the Pirelli’s & are just a superior product. Not sure if I tested I would notice any difference between PS4S & assy 5 but you pay your money and make your choice.
I have noticed you haven’t said what car you have & PS4S are not available in 18 inch sizes so my not be relevant.

Thanks

It’s a 2018 S4. I’m looking at 255 35 19 going into a 9x19 rim

Have seen Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 at £128 fitted and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 at £143 fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Happens a million times over like the old Continental CS5 , 13x a test winner but the longer term customer reviews suggests otherwise .

Tried almost all the contenders during the past year - PS4S, Asssymetrics, Hankooks, Contis and PZero.
Bit like Goldilocks and the three bears - too, soft, too hard, too noisy ........
Ended up running Conti 6 which has the best combo of noise and handling.
PS4S far and away the noisiest tyre and they went out early because off that - couldn't fault their handling qualities but they detracted so much from the joy of driving due noise from our cold mix coarse chip road surfaces.
Preference was for PZero with NCS but they are like hens' teeth here, Pirellis with the NCS inserts are extremely hard to find.
Would love to get hands on Conti 6 with Conti silent inserts but cannot be found here in other than giant sizes.
I was looking at 245/35/19 and could go to a 255.
Unless you drive at near-lunatic speeds, all those tyres are more than suitable and it becomes a personal thing.
I place a high score on noise as I bought a V6 S4 not a Ford Fietsa and don't want a tyre that negates much of the pleasure.
AS a closing note I highly comment the Hankook Ventus S1 which came as OEM fitted - darn good tyre and nearly as quiet as Conti - very under rated tyre and could find their way back on idc.

Dingah

Reactions: Filipão and WesT-gefül