New to VCDS a little advice please.

Matt268uk

A3 Sportback
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Well being new to VCDS i'm after a little advice please. Being quite used to Lexia 3, then impa/ediabas, Vcds is all new to me. So i have already connected my car and reset the service indicator but then went through some of the other settings shown on select on the opening screen of vcds. This is a couple of screen shots of what i was then shown. Capture

then this one Capture 1 on the first picture i never had the nerve to click "do it" as i didn't want to make any changes unknowingly then on the second was unsure of the numbering next to each item.

I wonder if anyone could shed any light on this for me, as i say i'm just learning this new software.
Thanks in advance. Matt.

Well i was just looking through everything. After reading through Ross-Techs site, when i click on any of the box's after hitting select, i was thinking i'd see a window that had a button called long coding helper, instead i was greeted with a window that gave me options to do it, but do what i ask myself ? i didn't want to risk changing anything so closed it. Also wasn't sure about the pic in my second screen shot. even after reading all i can find on RT's site that made no sense to me.

You shouldn't change any part of the code if you're not 100% certain of the components fitted to your car.

The second image shows different portions of the single code that configures your car's options. If you don't already have an option fitted, DO NOT enable a feature.

In your example:

Capture

Capture 1

The first 4 digits in the first image are represented in the second image as ????xxx! you would add (+) the features of each fitted option to create a 4 digit code, then write it down.

The next is a single digit, it's sets the country code and is represented as xxxx?xx
It will be any of 0 > 9, depending on your country. If your Country spec was Japan (left hand drive) for example, you would write the 5th digit as 5.

Capture 1 2

so you should now have a 5 digit code written on your piece of paper which matches your car's spec list - there are two more to add.

The 6th digit (xxxxx
?x) is your Seatbelt Warning and should be between 0 > 8, Append the correct one to the end of your written list. Yours is set at 2.

Capture 1 3

The 7th digit (xxxxxx
?) isn't differentiated from the 6th in this case, but you can see where it recycles to 0 and it's concerning your Dials\Needles, etc

Capture 1 4

...but wait!!!

Before you write down the last digit, you should add 5 (example: 3+5=8) if you want your Washer Fluid low Warning to work. So now you have your 7 digit code, right?

Now you know how this works, and it should already be set correctly! if it isn't, there's a chance something has changed from the factory and you need to know what it is before you can set it correctly - so don't just go changing anything willy nilly.

Maybe contact @NHN (Nigel) for help! He's the forum deity when it comes to all things VCDS. ;)

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for your reply. Wow this is quite confusing when compared to other makers diagnostic tools. Can i just ask a question please.Do the four 0's change with the different options when looking through the different modules ? I get the fifth number being GB etc. then the part where mine is set to 2, where does this number come from ? then i just get completely baffled by it...... I'm not understanding where all these numbers are coming from..... maybe i've just bought an expensive paperweight that will get sold on.....

2 is the 6th digit, and sets your Seatbelt Warning option: 2 = Seatbelt Warning (EURO NCAP NEW excl. Passenger).

View attachment 72136
...but wait!!!
Before you write down the last digit, you should add 5 (example: 3+5=8) ...

The 8 is the 7th digit, and as explained above: 3 = Needles ON and Scales ON (Term 15 ON/Term 58 OFF & 2nd Dim).
+5
for the Washer Fluid Warning.

Sometimes the digits can come up blank as your first four 0000 have! This could be a software glitch or maybe when VCDS reads the module??

Last edited:
Ok thankyou for your help, i'm usually pretty good with all this stuff but to be brutally honest this doesn't make alot of sense to me. I have read through Ross-Techs website but i cannot find any manuals for new buyers of VCDS. I think i'm missing something somewhere.

I should probably point out that not all of the modules have the "long code helper" button you mentioned in your original post, but many do. Keep opening different ones and you'll come across plenty.

They're much easier to made changes to and generally won't allow you to make damaging selections.

Thankyou again for your help, I shall keep trying to make sense of the code and adding digits to make a usable number.