New to the S3 club

Danf05

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm new to the S3 8P club after swapping my A4 b7 a few months back and joining the big boys club. Just looking for some advice and pointers really, looked at a few of your guys cars and they are beauts I've got to say.

So i'm currently running pretty standard (pictures to follow) and looking to move on a little with some OEM+ mods and maybe a few more in the near future.

Info I'm looking for?

So my S3 comes with the Audi Navigation console for all my entertainment needs but i find it somewhat lacking and boring, any advice on upgrades? also looking to add a AUX if this is easy enough?

Brakes, so i've had a little too much fun and they got a little warm on me and lost some of there stopping power so looking to replace and upgrade, was thinking grooved and drilled if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Remaps, Anyone had a stage 1 done and noticed much difference? didn't get to the stage of remapping my A4 so bit of a mapping virgin, did anyone notice any difference on fuel economy? up or down?

Thanks, I'll add some pics soon,

Dan

Welcome, Stage 1 is definitely worth doing and usually the start of a very slippery slope :)

Reactions: TimWills28
Welcome to Audi-sport.net Dan. Enjoy the forum :) x

The S3 club is the best fun.
I'm on my second 8P.

Stage 1 rocks. Get an induction kit if you can. The standard air box sits on a very hot engine!

Then, as mention...it all gets worst after that. Especially as anyone with an S3 and a pair of balls gets a remap. Then you'll lose a race with one, then you'll be straight out ordering new bits for your car.

Haha welcome

Reactions: s3_trev
As for brakes...a decent set of pads is best.

EBC must be steered away from if you drive your car hard. I leaned the hard way. I had drilled and grooved with their pads (red stuff I think) They warped almost immediately. EBC themselves do not take responsibility either. They are arrogant fools in my opinion. EBC are not liked by many S3 owners.

Reactions: COSTA_P
Welcome.

Stg1 will give you a bit more power and torque,and if you use the torque,mpg does improve,but if you use the extra power,it won't.

I think that Stg2+(i.e. remap,CAI,uprated HPFP and exhaust) is by far the best option in terms of value for money,but it is quite an investment.
Since it's where most S3 owners end up,it may be worth considering.

Brakes...you've already found that the stock items aren't great....the RS brakes are a good cheap upgrade,and packages like APRacing are better but more expensive.
I don't like EBC pads but some love them....I use Minetx 1155 pads on mine,but they are a bit more track oriented and need some heat.

All this will show the car's tendency to understeer,and decent coilovers and ARBs will be required.

Welcome to the money pit! i had EBC discs and pads on mine, rubbish is being kind. Ive since upgraded to a ttrs set up with mintex 1155 pads. 1144 are more road orientated but i can't grumble about the 1155's. its a daily and they work just fine. stage 1 map is virtually a must but its just opens a can of worms as I've found out hunting for stage 2+ and I've only had it since christmas just gone! But enjoy and enjoy the forum its a wealth of knowledge.

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist and S3Alex
Thanks for the overall consensus of stage 1 as a priority, we don't buy them to make money i suppose,

Yeah ive heard less than impressiuve stories of EBC sets so will most likely avoid, the RS upgrade sounds intresting though and an intake could be on the cards too.

Thanks Guys

Some good advice above! The good thing about this forum and I think the s3 8p is that most avenues have already been pursued, so there will nearly always be someone that has done it before to give you advice, which is great!

I would now be planning my route to stage 2+! However when I first started out someone recommended to me not to rush the process, and that way you will really appreciate the differences between each stage. This was the way I done it, more so as I got the money to afford the next stage haha.

Anyway welcome to the s3 club!!! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist, COSTA_P and S3Alex
Some good advice above! The good thing about this forum and I think the s3 8p is that most avenues have already been pursued, so there will nearly always be someone that has done it before to give you advice, which is great!

I would now be planning my route to stage 2+! However when I first started out someone recommended to me not to rush the process, and that way you will really appreciate the differences between each stage. This was the way I done it, more so as I got the money to afford the next stage haha.

Anyway welcome to the s3 club!!! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Agreed,but still a few avenues being explored!

The good thing is that most parts required for Stg1 and 2 etc are required for the next,so little is wasted.

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist
The Audi satnav is very dated and lets the 8P down so it'd be interesting to see what others have replaced it with.

The Audi satnav is very dated and lets the 8P down so it'd be interesting to see what others have replaced it with.
That would be this in my case:

Image is a year or so old now as don't have ashtray anymore, but you get the idea as far as the new screen goes. The eagle eyes amongst you may notice ive had to put the earlier buttons on underneath the screen, due to its size (8") the facelift buttons would not fit. But this wasnt an issue in the slightest for me, as I actually like this version of the indicator button.

Reactions: leshkin, COSTA_P and voorhees
So much better Trev

Reactions: s3_trev
Looks exactly what im looking for trev, you got any details or parts? was it relatively simple?

Its the Alpine 928r. I chose it because I fell in love with the 8" screen. Its amazing.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/p/Products/bluetooth-and-usb8/ine-w928r

It pretty much does everything you could ever want it to do, including all of the main things like sat nav, phone kit, dvd player, play from USB pen, aux in, in for reverse camera etc etc etc.

I got mine professionally fitted. I dare say I could probably have done it myself but me an the missus left the car for a few hours and walked round the shopping center and it was done when I came back!

I have never had a single issue with it. I just updated the maps in it there last week actually, and the price for that was very reasonable indeed.

Oh and it works with the steering wheel controls. I cant think of a single way the RNS-E beats this, other than the price. This wasnt cheap.

If you want a cheaper option, you can get the RNSE to run Apple TV on its display, Air play things from your phone to the display, TV, movies and music in pretty good quality on the later RNSE's. All for under £200

Not exactly, but it's really simple.

If you get a Apple TV first edition then you can hack it to have the Xbox dashboard on it. It does look really cool, and it's different yet still retaining the OEM aspect.