New to the boards, previous cabriolet owner and about to be silly?

Legarcon77

Reaction score
Hello all, nice to see boards like this still around.

I used to own a Cabriolet, loved it and am now looking to buy a car as a second car, summer fun car and have found a lovely S6 Cab. The question is, am I being stupid. It’s in gorgeous condition. Garaged through winter, 50 odd thousand miles not had the water pump or the chain followers done but the owner (3rd from new) waits 15 seconds before starting the engine etc.

I could of course go for a 3 litre TDI but I really fancy the B7 A6.

has any one had one, should I avoid like the plague or just go for it and have some fun?

thanks all!

I’ve had mine for over four years now. Like you I considered the 3.0l diesel as a more sensible choice but still with reasonable performance. However I really wanted the V8 and after viewing several finally found “the one”. I haven’t regretted it for a second, the sound is worth it alone. They aren’t a cheap car to run though with the usual B7 cab issues to consider as well as S4 specific ones. The cam chain is the big, expensive, one to be wary of but I’ve had no issues with mine (just ticked over 50k miles). I service it myself yearly and just the oil and filter alone is around £100. On a run I can eek out 30mpg but I normally see low 20s. I’ve replaced the roof motor, coil packs and just fitted new discs and pads all round. The roof storage box can stop raising and lowering as the plastic becomes brittle as it ages and I’ve fitted a replacement to mine. Ive also had the cam position sensor, both engine rocker cover gaskets (they’re prone to oil leaks) and lower front suspension arms replaced during my ownership.

Last edited: