New To The Audi S3 8V

-Lewis-

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the audi s3, pick her up a week saturday moving from a M135i. Im looking at getting a set of Bilsteins B14 coilovers put on, where is best to get these from online? I see there have been a few threads on them in the past only good reviews, and then getting the geo done to a golf r is this still the best?
Also what else is good to do to these cars, i've been looking down the APR stage 2 route is this the best choice?
Spacers once the coilovers are on what the best size to go for?
Anything anyone else recommends would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lewis

Hi, I came from an m135i too a couple of years ago :)
I ended up with B16s and love them, but I've never used the adjustment on them so B14s would probably have been just as good. It was cheapest for me to get them from German ebay at the time, not sure what the currency changes have meant for them.

@-Lewis- I'd just enjoy it to start with and see what you've got to work from mate. As above, B14s are probably best if you don't intend to play with it much lol. There's lots of info on the forums for tuning, so have a look at the search function :welcome!:

Ive had both cars but kept them standard, both were in warranty.

Hi, I came from an m135i too a couple of years ago :)
I ended up with B16s and love them, but I've never used the adjustment on them so B14s would probably have been just as good. It was cheapest for me to get them from German ebay at the time, not sure what the currency changes have meant for them.

Do you miss the M135i? I had the B14s on my M135i are they were great. Thanks ill check out the german eBay.

@-Lewis- I'd just enjoy it to start with and see what you've got to work from mate. As above, B14s are probably best if you don't intend to play with it much lol. There's lots of info on the forums for tuning, so have a look at the search function :welcome!:

Cant help myself but do things to my car, My M135i had a bit of work on it and was in the 400bhp region so the S3 will feel a little flat, but feels like a good platform. Will do thanks.

Ive had both cars but kept them standard, both were in warranty.

Which do you prefer?

Reactions: Mark_86
Do you miss the M135i? I had the B14s on my M135i are they were great. Thanks ill check out the german eBay.

Cant help myself but do things to my car, My M135i had a bit of work on it and was in the 400bhp region so the S3 will feel a little flat, but feels like a good platform. Will do thanks.

Which do you prefer?
The S3 is a better all round car, 4WD for winter and the clutch on the m135i is offset so did bad things to my back. The engine and exhuast sound was great in the M135i, annoying satnav etc display that was fixed. Couldnt really translate all that power to the road, god knows what it was like after you modded it, needed an lsd...or x drive ! M135i a lot cheaper, but a bit marmite, fugly front end.....I did like it but it did my back in....I had the manual version....absolutely no problems in the S3 in manual.

Hi I'm new to the audi s3, pick her up a week saturday moving from a M135i. Im looking at getting a set of Bilsteins B14 coilovers put on, where is best to get these from online? I see there have been a few threads on them in the past only good reviews, and then getting the geo done to a golf r is this still the best?
Also what else is good to do to these cars, i've been looking down the APR stage 2 route is this the best choice?

Thanks,
Lewis
Welcome to audi-sport.net. Look forward to seeing the car. Try our site sponsor @DPM for price on coilovers. Enjoy the car and the forum :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DPM

Which do you prefer?

I found the M135i really missed an LSD and struggled out of low speed corners, it also rolled far too much! I ended up putting AC Schnitzer springs on it which improved it a bit but ruined comfort mode on the adaptive suspension.

The only thing I missed was the drama of the engine, but giving a big chunk of money to MTM has cured that lol.

Overall the S3 is the best car I've had, I've passed 40k in it and have no idea how I'll ever replace it as I can't afford anything better, don't want anything worse and don't want a standard new s3...

Thanks,
Lewis

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Look forward to seeing the car. Try our site sponsor @DPM for price on coilovers. Enjoy the car and the forum :)

Please don't hesitate to let me know if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: Sandra and Rob2k68

Thanks,
Lewis
Welcome, @Rob2k68 knows a thing or two about modding :racer:

Reactions: Sandra and Rob2k68
HI Lewis, Welcome to ASN and congrats on the purchase. Are you buying hatch, saloon or sportback ? Does it have magride ? The saloon has 19" wheels and mag ride standard - you may like the adaptive suspension and prefer to do springs only to cure some of the bounciness that the sportback suffers from rather than binning the mag ride and going straight to coilovers. Also again if removing mag ride shocks you need to investigate a mag ride delete kit so that the car doesn't through error codes at you.

Spacers are again a personal choice how 'flush' you want to go. The saloon has a wider track and wheel coverage but generally speaking 12/12 is a popular choice on the sportback with maybe 12/15 slightly wider rear. The saloon 15/15, 15/20 or even 20/20, best to search for a spacers thread of which there are many the pictures are sure to help you.

Tuning again a bit of a minefield lots of choices biggest discussion point seems to be over a 'generic' or 'custom' map. I'm Revo stage 2 (mods in my sig) and very pleased with it. Choice of tuners is a bit like the Apple/Android debate LoL with fanboys for both. My advice would be get to a show like VAG Tuner and talk to them yourselves. Dealer location will also be a strong influence. You mention stage 2 so sounds like you've already decided for a map over a tuning box.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Sandra
The S3 is a better all round car, 4WD for winter and the clutch on the m135i is offset so did bad things to my back. The engine and exhuast sound was great in the M135i, annoying satnav etc display that was fixed. Couldnt really translate all that power to the road, god knows what it was like after you modded it, needed an lsd...or x drive ! M135i a lot cheaper, but a bit marmite, fugly front end.....I did like it but it did my back in....I had the manual version....absolutely no problems in the S3 in manual.

I had the auto box on the M135i and i loved it, along with the engine and exhaust sound i think ill really miss the pops and bangs. I see that the newer S3's have this over run pops hopefully this can be added to the earlier models. Like you say only a hand full of the days you can really use all its power.

Thanks, ill definitely give them a call when it comes to ordering a few items for the car.

I found the M135i really missed an LSD and struggled out of low speed corners, it also rolled far too much! I ended up putting AC Schnitzer springs on it which improved it a bit but ruined comfort mode on the adaptive suspension.

The only thing I missed was the drama of the engine, but giving a big chunk of money to MTM has cured that lol.

Overall the S3 is the best car I've had, I've passed 40k in it and have no idea how I'll ever replace it as I can't afford anything better, don't want anything worse and don't want a standard new s3...

Couldn't agree more,they really do struggle for traction. I didnt have the adaptive suspension but the B14's really helped with the handling side that needed attention.
Hopefully a few mods to make it my own car and ill enjoy it even more.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Ill give you a phone about coilovers in the next week or so.

Welcome, @Rob2k68 knows a thing or two about modding :racer:

HI Lewis, Welcome to ASN and congrats on the purchase. Are you buying hatch, saloon or sportback ? Does it have magride ? The saloon has 19" wheels and mag ride standard - you may like the adaptive suspension and prefer to do springs only to cure some of the bounciness that the sportback suffers from rather than binning the mag ride and going straight to coilovers. Also again if removing mag ride shocks you need to investigate a mag ride delete kit so that the car doesn't through error codes at you.

Spacers are again a personal choice how 'flush' you want to go. The saloon has a wider track and wheel coverage but generally speaking 12/12 is a popular choice on the sportback with maybe 12/15 slightly wider rear. The saloon 15/15, 15/20 or even 20/20, best to search for a spacers thread of which there are many the pictures are sure to help you.

Tuning again a bit of a minefield lots of choices biggest discussion point seems to be over a 'generic' or 'custom' map. I'm Revo stage 2 (mods in my sig) and very pleased with it. Choice of tuners is a bit like the Apple/Android debate LoL with fanboys for both. My advice would be get to a show like VAG Tuner and talk to them yourselves. Dealer location will also be a strong influence. You mention stage 2 so sounds like you've already decided for a map over a tuning box.

Thanks for taken the time with the in-depth reply. Ive bought a hatch back which i assume its the same as the sports back dimensions when it comes to the spacers. The S3 i have doesn't have the mag ride so i won't have any issues when it comes to replacing the whole lot. Ill have to see if i can find this thread to see what i would like in terms of the spacers.
I was considering going to Ecotune who is reasonably close that do APR tuning or maybe REVO at a different tuner, but ill see whats looking better at the time and with a bit more homework. Being up in Scotland its a lot harder to make shows unfortunately, so probably easier for me to go on the feedback from people on here with the experiences they have had on the above brands. Yeah definitely looking into a map as the audi warranty is almost up.
What is the most desired intake to go for Forge enclosed one or the APR one, the only difference i see between the two is one has the front panel bit and the other uses the standard part.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Rob2k68
Hi Lewis
I've not long traded in a black S3 to mr Arnold Clark and notice it's sold already, was wondering if you had maybe bought it?
What with you saying warranty ready to expire and ecotune not far!!