New (to me) S4 Avant - Dashcam Query

JonnyJR

Reaction score
I have just bought an S4 Avant and looking to install a Nextbase 522GW dash cam. I have searched the threads looking for advice on a permanent live location. However I haven't found a definitive answer and don't want to remove a fuse that will cause a problem. I am looking for a permanent live feed so that I can benefit from the parking sensor function of the camera. The camera allegedly will shut off after 5 minutes of inactivity, so draining the battery shouldn't be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would test the camera switches off first before doing wiring, plug into the cigar lighter first to test, its permanent live.

Thanks Norad, I shall test it first. My cigar lighter isn’t permanent live however, it only has power when the ignition is on. I was looking for a fuse that supplies power regardless of ignition status. For example my radio works regardless of whether the ignition is on or not.

Do you have a B7 A4, never seen a B7 without permanent live cigar lighter?

I'm 99% sure I went with the lighter fuse as it was switched with ignition on my B7.

Do you need a permanent live? The Nextbase dashcams have an in built battery. It charges and operates from the car whilst power is being supplied. The parking sensor function activates if g is applied (ie someone hits the car) then the camera starts recording again.

My cigarette lighter is permanent live.
You want a switched live otherwise the camera will not switch itself off as it wont know whether the engine is running or not.
The camera will also have a small battery in it to enable the function you want to work.

I connected the dash cam to the MMI fuse in the end. My understanding was for the parking mode, it required a permanent live, as in not dependant on ignition position. When it detects no movement for 5 minutes it switches off. Here is an extract from the manual -

"Parking Mode. When Parking Mode has been turned on, the Dash Cam enters standby mode when the 12Vdc supply has been turned OFF (typically removing your ignition key).

The Dash Cam will also enter standby mode if no physical movement is detected for 5 minutes, this is designed to allow use of a permanent 12Vdc supply, i.e hard-wire kit."

Maybe I have misinterpreted the manual.

I don’t have a Nextbase dashcam in my S4 but I do have one in my other car. It’s hardwired to a power supply that’s only live when the ignition is on. If it senses motion when the car is parked it starts recording using power from its own internal battery.

I interpret the user manual extract you’ve provided as saying IF you have a permanent 12V connection that it won’t drain the battery as it’ll enter standby mode after five mins of inactivity.

Reactions: Sidrick