New to me S3: top strut mounts, any advice?

ChrisH370

Reaction score
Any opinions on whether it's best to get both done rather than the one making the clonk when reversing on right hand on lock?
it would seem to be a better idea then it's all sorted rather than find it still clonks.
What make and are there any heavy duty mount kits available that will last longer?

Replacing both sides would be better as old top mounts would be compressed by this time, which would make an imbalance if only one side is replaced.

I would get LCR Top Mounts when mine break as they are OEM, harder rubber then all other MK4 top mounts, yet more road-friendly than the Poly ones.

OEM S3 ones last for years, that some people still have the original ones from factory (probably worn though!). So, I'd believe LCR ones would last long enough to forget about them.

Bad thing is that they are expensive, much more than the price of standard S3 mounts.

You should get the bearings replaced as well.

Part numbers:
LCR Strut Top Mounts: 1ML 412 331
Bearings: 1J0 412 249

Other threads to help:

Top Mounts

Tuffty's Minor Modding Thread: Post# 1248

My first post, hope it helped. Although searching the board would have helped quicker.

Me personally I'd change both seeing as 1 has gone the other probably won't be far behind! Get some powerflex polly bushes!

As I thoght.
Can you explain polybushes as GSF told me top mounts comprise the mount and a bearing cost <£20?
I thought polybushes were only for ARBs.

That's the item number for a set on eBay. The bearing is separate it just sits in the top of the top mount rubber bush. They do numerous different polybushes, lwr arms, steering rack etc

Ok guys, the LCR top mount is the way to go, I'll see if GSF stock it. Not a DIY job then as spring needs compressing.
I will visual check if the strut protrudes as Paul said.
Maybe this will improve the steering feel as it's rather heavy and lacks feel but never an s3 before getting mine.
Thanks

I upgraded to LCR top mounts after my s3 ones (original) had play in them. The LCR ones feel a little stiffer but I have not noticed any other difference, I fitted new bearings too.

OK, thanks. Im going for the LCR type, are there any other bushes worth replacing whilst the struts are out, seeing as I'm paying labour, is it >1hr per side?

GSF says Top Mount is Pt. No. is 1JO 412331C but its the SAME for all Mk 4 Golf, LCR S3 etc., nothing different for LCR.
Are they wrong, if so who else supplies the LCR top mount pt no you gave, TPS?

LCR top mounts are different, and yes, TPS should sell them.

It's a diy job with some spring compressors and the usual selection of garage tools, spring compressors are only £20 or so.

Depends if you're a practical sort really, but otherwise 60-90 mins a side should be well within the capability of most garages.

You'll need an alignment afterwards too.

As for other bushes worth doing, the wishbone bushes will be well worn by now if they're original and I just replaced both wishbones complete with bushes etc when Eurocarparts had one of their many 30% off sales! and you may as well do ball joints and track rods whilst you're at it. A pair of drop links and some ARB bushes are usually not far from the top of the 'to-do' list either.

A garage would charge a fair whack for that lot, but diy it's a pleasurable day on the car and knowing it's sorted for a good while yet.

Thanks Tooks, TPS have got the LCR top mounts for 22 + each. I am a bit chicken about jobs involving compressing springs and ball joints.
Assume nothing else needs to come apart from your list of to do items.
Regards the alignment would this need doing again if any of your listed items replaced?

Wishbones, top mounts, ball joints and track rods would all need alignment afterwards really.

Drop links and ARB bushes, no.