New to me S3: new rear prop shaft coupling

ChrisH370

Reaction score
Got under my S3 on ramps today for techie to have a nose round.
He found rear prop shaft coupling is on the way out, rubber is beginning to break up.
Ordered one from GSF, not cheap at over 200 quid. Apparently the coupling needs exhaust off to access so a few hours labour.Any comments on this before I get this done?
Also a top mount needs changing as knocks on lock. Parts about 15 quid.
Could not see an earth wire for the Haldex, as it's a 2000 model that's probably the way it's built. Electrical connector looks in good condition. He said I would know if it wasn't working but will get oil and filter changed to be on the safe side.
Could change rear disks in time otherwise looks ok.

Nobody had propshaft coupling break up, I'm wondering if it really needs replacing, the rubber looks a bit perished but not bad he said.
Don't need the high cost if getting this done when front mounts defo need doing. Surely the coupling only gets loaded when the rear wheels are driving?

That's what Im asking, obviously the techie needs to make a living so wonder if he's just pointing it out as on the way out, but its several hrs work to replace. For £75 maybe worth getting the part. The coupling does not get stressed unless the rear drive is working, it connects to the link to the rear diff. but no load on it. Is he being too fussy?

epox, thanks but GSF say this is the front coupling not the rear, never supplied a rear. Something not right here.