New to me B7 3.0tdi…

Gmac

Reaction score
Hi folks

Got myself a brilliant red 3.0tdi quattro, going to be a daily. Impressed with it so far…… A few things to sort, but its been looked after. 78000 Miles 2 owners, serviced every 5k miles too!

First problem to address is a flickering left xenon, so before i go out and buy a replacement bulb or ballast, is it easy enough to change to bulbs out? Not had a look yet. Going to swap left to right and see if the problem moves with the bulb or not. At a guess id say it’s probably the ballast though. So looking on eBay, theres ballasts for about £35, are these worth it? Always a bit sceptical of cheap parts on eBay, chinese stuff can vary in quality shall we say.

Also for those running 19” alloys, whats the option on best tyre profile/width to go for, don’t want anything too low profile? Thanks

Think id like to go rs4 style front grill, but i believe i have to be a bit careful as theres a difference with the s-line grill being slightly longer/deeper at the bottom. Will have a look for some inspiration on here.

I’m sure there will be other questions as i go, but thought id start a thread on the car… Any pointer/comments welcome.
91458B61 BF1D 4559 861D 3D70D7E943B8
91FF577E 16B4 44CA 892A 5461AF772AC9
A3FBAAA3 5D3F 4816 AD3A 7930E230F24C

Reactions: Greeny233, tr7, B7Tourer and 1 other person
235/35 19 is the best size, tyre choice will make a big difference.
Rs4 grille is a direct fit for your car .
Xenon’s bulbs can be a pain to change but doable in situ , many opt to remove the headlamp unit but it’s not required, drivers side is easy replacement, passenger needs a bit more patience and requires moving power steering reservoir and screen washer bottle top section, not a massive issue though.

Reactions: Gmac
235/35 19 is the best size, tyre choice will make a big difference.
Rs4 grille is a direct fit for your car .
Xenon’s bulbs can be a pain to change but doable in situ , many opt to remove the headlamp unit but it’s not required, drivers side is easy replacement, passenger needs a bit more patience and requires moving power steering reservoir and screen washer bottle top section, not a massive issue though.
Cheers Charlie, will have a look for some 235/35/19s, and will see what aftermarket rs4 grills there are. Had a look through some of the photos on here, what front splitter do most go with? Aye, had a wee look at YouTube and look pretty doable leaving headlights in situ. Cheers

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Most go with the LCR splitter as it has a nice oem look finish wise otherwise there are a few options just depends on your preference.

RS4 grilles are a bit low on the ground used but do pop up occasionally, still available new from Audi at there premium price of corse.

Most go with the LCR splitter as it has a nice oem look finish wise otherwise there are a few options just depends on your preference.
Something gloss black would be good, if i go down the gloss black grill, it’d be good to have the splitter tie in with it. The lcr will be Matt black i think?

LCR is matt black, so its there but not shouting out .:icon thumright:

235 35 without doubt ,got them on 3 sets of alloys
225 35 on another set when I feel like going flush fitment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your not pushing out with your et or lowered I have some good year eagle f1s for sale
245 35 19
£100 for a fellow member here

Auto or manual? ,egr delete and remap ..impressive step up from factory,if it’s an auto get the gear box oil checked ( if it’s not already in the history ) if it checks out a gearbox remap removes the response time in lower gears ,can also have the torque limiter removed

Auto or manual? ,egr delete and remap ..impressive step up from factory,if it’s an auto get the gear box oil checked ( if it’s not already in the history ) if it checks out a gearbox remap removes the response time in lower gears ,can also have the torque limiter removed

It’s a manual..lol. Thanks though. Still trying to get my head around what alloys to go for, ive a set of 19” bbs ch reps from my mk5 golf, which might work, but not many pics of a b7 on this combo, which probably means they dont really work. Really need to get some winter tyres too.. whats the tread on the eagle f1s? Could be a goer, cheers

Lol ,forget all that then
5mm on 3 ,7mm on the other
IMHO if your running reps u want a decent buffer (no skinny tyres )

It’s a manual..lol. Thanks though. Still trying to get my head around what alloys to go for, ive a set of 19” bbs ch reps from my mk5 golf, which might work, but not many pics of a b7 on this combo, which probably means they dont really work. Really need to get some winter tyres too.. whats the tread on the eagle f1s? Could be a goer, cheers

3.0l manual nice choice

As Rob (Charlie ) above always says it’s a matter of choice ,personally I think bbs ch aren’t really suited to the b7 ,too much of a motor sport look for the subtle looking b7

As Rob (Charlie ) above always says it’s a matter of choice ,personally I think bbs ch aren’t really suited to the b7 ,too much of a motor sport look for the subtle looking b7

Yeh really torn on them. I’ll try them on to see what they look like, and if they look okay, i’ll give you a shout about the tyres if thats okay. Where about are? I’m Aberdeenshire

check for clearance on the inside where the outside edge of the tyre passes the closest point on the strut, 8.5j et42 can rub with 235/35 19 and more likely with anything wider .
Resulting in this if left unchecked.
IMG 2201abc

Last edited:
Had a test fit this afternoon, think they’ll work! Look better than i thought they would.
EF6FFA34 7CF9 462F AD73 61C1E03A6D72

Reactions: Jamsmoo
check for clearance on the inside where the outside edge of the tyre passes the closest point on the strut, 8.5j et42 can rub with 235/35 19 and more likely with anything wider .
Resulting in this if left unchecked.
View attachment 261552

My bbs 19 8.5 with 245 35 19 did just catch catch ,et 48 ..10mm spacers sorted the issue

That's a mighty fine looking Avant, with a very nice engine. What's the mileage? I personally think it'd be a shame to change the grill - it looks elegantly 'wolf in sheep's clothing' right now, with the S-line one. Those alloys were standard on the B6 RS4s and are very nice too. If it was mine I'd get chrome tips for the exhaust - maybe they just need a clean though.

That's a mighty fine looking Avant, with a very nice engine. What's the mileage? I personally think it'd be a shame to change the grill - it looks elegantly 'wolf in sheep's clothing' right now, with the S-line one. Those alloys were standard on the B6 RS4s and are very nice too. If it was mine I'd get chrome tips for the exhaust - maybe they just need a clean though.
Mileage is pretty low, 78k, serviced about every 5k too! I think the grill will probably stay, can’t see me shelling out for an RS one. I may dechrome the car so would do the surround black. Will definitely get round to seeing if i can clean up the exhaust tips. Probably a typo but there wasn’t a b6 rs4, guessing you meant b5. The b5’s et was way different too, an et20 on theirs. The 3.0tdi is very nice, smooth and actually sounds decent too, first diesel i can say that about!

Reactions: B7Tourer and tr7
Probably a typo but there wasn’t a b6 rs4, guessing you meant b5.
Yes it was, cheers! There's a lovely one down my local pub, owned by a guy who works for Audi, apparently - there were only 500 of them ever in the UK. This one is light metallic blue, v good, apart from rust on the wing lips. They are very similar interior wise to later B7s, which must have been very modern in 2000/1. The alloys look very similar to yours, to my eyes. Don't dechrome it mate, ha ha. Not even run in at 78K!

Last edited:
Not much happening with the car. Put some winter tyres on a set of 19“ BBS CH reps that i had left over from the golf that this car replaced. They work well, no spacers and no issues on full lock etc. tyres are 235/35/19’s. Few other wee bits… Bought Rob’s Alpine HU and have got that fitted and working, bought myself a DAB aerial, roof mounted one. Have bought a rear view camera, the type that replaces the rear handle, have powered it up to see it working, so now need to find the time to run an earth to somewhere at the rear of the car, wondering if there is anywhere in the boot lid Behind the trim that i need to take off anyway? And then run the video cable to the front of the car. Also got some replacement number plate lights to do at the same time, one has been working off and on and the other one, the plastic is all decoloured.
354A64BA B6D5 42B4 81A1 DB8EEEC434C1

Reactions: S4 Muzza, quattrogone and tr7
Steering rack replacement required on this. Currently on the ramp awaiting removal. Got it all detached and just struggling to get it out past suspension upright and out of its hole!
Also going to replace front left drive shaft, noisy clicking outer cv joint. So just going to replace drive shaft as complete unit.

Took the two top arms off and the shock off at the bottom, which allowed the room for the rack to be removed. Picked up the replacement rack at lunch time today, and have transferred the servotronic wiring loom to it from my one, also transferred over the tie rod ends as they looked in better condition on my one. Picked up 1ltr of CHF11s fluid too. Will hopefully get down the garage tonight and start putting it back together.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and tr7
Getting there with the rack, lining it up to put the bolts back in from the top would be a whole lot easier with two people! Got there though, will need to slacken them both off again a bit though, as the third one going up from the bottom isn’t lined up perfectly so wont go in. Got the fluid lines back on too, then had to undo one of them slightly as when it tightened it moved the pipe so that it was then in the way of getting third bolt up and in the hole. All fine though, getting there. Should hopefully get it sorted today.

never straight forward with some jobs.

Well, fingers crossed! All back together and it seems to be working again. Will give it a couple of days and then check for any leaks. I’m sure the system appreciated the new fluid going in. I’ve checked the level of the power steering fluid, on the dipstick whilst the engine is off, would that be correct?

Steering went progressively heavy, wife had the car at the time, and she reported it getting ‘funny steering’ in corners. Then when i put it up on the ramp, i could see brown fluid leaking out of the drivers side boot.
37C7C1F7 1C01 44CB 8541 97F68B7B6921

Steering rack in, topped up the fluid and all working again! Happy days… also got a new nearside front drive shaft on…. Copied from the cv joint thread..

Took the guard plate off, held in by three 6mm hex bolts. I also then took out one of the top arms, the rear one, and that gave me enough room/movement to get the old drive shaft out. New one in, and got everything back together. Getting the top 6mm hex bolt back in was a right fiddle. anyway all good. Took it for a test drive and all fine from front end, power steering working fine too. No apparent leaks either, touch wood. I did however hear a rattle coming from the rear of the car, argh! So back on the ramp and found the culprit, loose bit of heat shield near the offside back box. So secured that, and out for another wee drive. Could still hear a blooming rattle! SO back on the ramp and another poke around, and the dust shield behind the offside disc Was rattling too. So removed the caliper, removed the pads, unscrewed the wee retaining screw (T30) on the disc, and thankfully the disc comes past the carrier. The could see the very rusty t30 screw, which wasn't doing anything. Cleaned it up and added heat before attempting to undo it. Worked a treat, as although very stiff, it came off without rounding off. Sourced a washer and reattached the screw so the shield was now secure and not rattling! Result. Third road test, an no more rattles. I did however discover that the key fob was no longer locking and unlocking the car remotely. I guess as the battery was off for a period it would need pairing with the car again. It was working manually in the lock. So a quick YouTube and process of holding the unlock button for three seconds and having the key in the first position in the ignition barrel and all sorted. Car just needs a wash now!

Reactions: Sloppy_1 and tr7
So the derv is back to daily duties… the b5 can be washed and desalted, and put away again! Phew..:friendly wink:
CBA504E7 137E 49F3 A8C0 B6036B665ECB

Reactions: Jamestnewson, tr7 and Charlie Farley
Steering went progressively heavy, wife had the car at the time, and she reported it getting ‘funny steering’ in corners. Then when i put it up on the ramp, i could see brown fluid leaking out of the drivers side boot.View attachment 263787
yes i can see a problem there! :chuncky:

Not much to update on this… got all the intake side of the engine off and de-coked it all, messy job but it most definitely needed it! Nearly 5mm thick in places! All went back together and I’m now considering a remap.
Put some S3 8P wing mirrors on today, easy enough swap for the red ones. Real like how it looks with them on. Must be about 15 bhp gain too! Haha.
Plenty still to do, want to do the front grill, also get the lower fog grills changed out too for honeycomb/hex style ones. Would definitely benefit from new wings and a front end respray, but will have the see how money goes.. Would like to de-tango the headlights too. Must Do some reading/YouTube on this.
IMG 1457
IMG 1348
IMG 1351
IMG 1347

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
Making good progress chap. :thumbs up:
Well worth it too.

Unless you have pothole-free roads up there i'd stick with 18" and 235/40 rubber, 35 profile and potholes are just a nightmare, at least with 40's you have a fighting chance....

Unless you have pothole-free roads up there i'd stick with 18" and 235/40 rubber, 35 profile and potholes are just a nightmare, at least with 40's you have a fighting chance....
Yeh, agreed with that. Need to work out what sizes i can get away with in 19” ie max profile.