New to Audi

Stephen Payne

Reaction score
So here I am. First time owning an audi and I've gone for a 2009 A5 2.0 tfsi S line quattro in Aruba blue with pearl effect. Loving the car so far but wishing I'd done a little more research first as tomorrow it goes to the garage to start the oil consumption test as it's going through 2 litres or so in 400 miles. As long as audi sort all that though then I'm looking forward to being a long time audi owner. Anyone got any advice/tips etc for me I'd love to hear them.
IMG 20180513 WA0007 01
20180507 180019 02

Reactions: THQuattro and NevMan
Very nice colour!

As a former A5 2009 2.0TFSI owner who went through the oil consumption fix, refuse to pay a single penny towards the fix! A good dealer won’t even mention payment and give you a courtesy car and just fix it, but some still chance their arm and try and collect some payment. Just put your foot down.

There are loads of users documenting their experience on here (A4 B8 section) and over in A5OC (search oil consumption). There is also the WatchDog report that happened a few years back that admittted it was a fault and Audi UK will foot the bill.

Good news is that once you have the fix, the oil issue will be a thing of the past and you’ll be able to enjoy it as you hoped :)

Reactions: NevMan
Very nice colour!

As a former A5 2009 2.0TFSI owner who went through the oil consumption fix, refuse to pay a single penny towards the fix! A good dealer won’t even mention payment and give you a courtesy car and just fix it, but some still chance their arm and try and collect some payment. Just put your foot down.

There are loads of users documenting their experience on here (A4 B8 section) and over in A5OC (search oil consumption). There is also the WatchDog report that happened a few years back that admittted it was a fault and Audi UK will foot the bill.

Good news is that once you have the fix, the oil issue will be a thing of the past and you’ll be able to enjoy it as you hoped :)

Yeah to be fair audi being good so far but I'll continue to be sceptical until it's done. A new development with it today is mmi showing oil below minimum but warning on dashboard not on yet is that something i should be concerned about?

Also out of curiosity what did you used to get mpg wise? I'm currently getting bang on 30 after a week and a half of mixed driving just wondering if this is about right?

Yeah to be fair audi being good so far but I'll continue to be sceptical until it's done. A new development with it today is mmi showing oil below minimum but warning on dashboard not on yet is that something i should be concerned about?

Also out of curiosity what did you used to get mpg wise? I'm currently getting bang on 30 after a week and a half of mixed driving just wondering if this is about right?

Not sure mate...keep us updated though!

Sounds about right. Mine wasn't quattro, but I got around 30ish.

So dropped off at dealer today for stage 1 of test etc and he has advised me that this could take over a month to get sorted and that Audi may only contribute 90% towards costs. I'm not happy about this and will be expecting them to pay 100% for something that is their fault and nobody else's. Am I right to think this?

So dropped off at dealer today for stage 1 of test etc and he has advised me that this could take over a month to get sorted and that Audi may only contribute 90% towards costs. I'm not happy about this and will be expecting them to pay 100% for something that is their fault and nobody else's. Am I right to think this?

You are completely right to think this. Tell them, under no uncertain terms, that you are not paying anything towards this repair.

If they are agreeing to foot 90% of the bill, they are clearly admitting liability to the fault. It's not 90% their fault, it's 100% their fault! As I said earlier, point them in the direction of these threads which prove how hundreds of customers have had the fix free of charge...

A month sounds about right. I was given a 3.0TDI A7 whilst mine was getting done. It was a diesel, but still quite nice :p

So 50 miles into the test and the oil level hasn't moved on the mmi have noticed the car smoking like mad out the exhausts though so I'm assuming it's getting through it.

So here I am. First time owning an audi and I've gone for a 2009 A5 2.0 tfsi S line quattro in Aruba blue with pearl effect. Loving the car so far but wishing I'd done a little more research first as tomorrow it goes to the garage to start the oil consumption test as it's going through 2 litres or so in 400 miles. As long as audi sort all that though then I'm looking forward to being a long time audi owner. Anyone got any advice/tips etc for me I'd love to hear them.
View attachment 155490 View attachment 155491

Love the colour and alloys. Once your oil consumption fix is done by Audi UK, all is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question did these cars come with an adjustable steering wheel as standard? I can't see anything obvious to do this so wondering if the car has it or not.

Don't use the mmi to gauge oil level. They are very hit and miss. Go by your dipstick . If you haven't got one , it's not expensive to get one .

I do find it a bit of a joke that the dealer suggested that Audi UK would only pay 90%, and not for the obvious reason. In other cases where it's not wholly their fault and they are making a goodwill contribution one would imagine that something between say 30% and 50% might be appropriate. Even when it really is their fault but the owner has to take some responsibility (like not following the service schedule), then I might imagine they'd pay up to 70% or even 80%. But at 90% the money they save is really inconsequential. I can imagine that some ****head at Audi UK has spat his dummy out about fixing out of warranty cars and has decided that owners should be asked to pay 10% just as a matter of principle.

@Stephen Payne - it is reasonable that the oil level could be below the MMI min before the warning.

What colour is the smoke? Is it only at start-up or is it constant? I'd advise that you take a video of it in case (you never know) the dealer concludes that the test shows nothing is wrong. As I'm sure you are aware, smoke from the exhaust, particularly on a petrol car, nearly always indicates a serious issue in the engine.

I do find it a bit of a joke that the dealer suggested that Audi UK would only pay 90%, and not for the obvious reason. In other cases where it's not wholly their fault and they are making a goodwill contribution one would imagine that something between say 30% and 50% might be appropriate. Even when it really is their fault but the owner has to take some responsibility (like not following the service schedule), then I might imagine they'd pay up to 70% or even 80%. But at 90% the money they save is really inconsequential. I can imagine that some ****head at Audi UK has spat his dummy out about fixing out of warranty cars and has decided that owners should be asked to pay 10% just as a matter of principle.

@Stephen Payne - it is reasonable that the oil level could be below the MMI min before the warning.

What colour is the smoke? Is it only at start-up or is it constant? I'd advise that you take a video of it in case (you never know) the dealer concludes that the test shows nothing is wrong. As I'm sure you are aware, smoke from the exhaust, particularly on a petrol car, nearly always indicates a serious issue in the engine.

Thanks yeah I have told them in no uncertain terms they will be paying 100% as it's a manufacturer defect and nothing else. I'm 150 miles into the test now though and oil level has started dropping like a stone so will probably be back to audi by the end of the week.

Gone in for the fix today. Been given a new a4 diesel as a courtesy car. It's nice but can't wait to have mine back already.

So got the car back yesterday and all seemed well except for it being a bit clunky to start. I thought nothing of it and then go to start it today and it's taking 2 or 3 attempts to start up. Never had this issue before so a call back to audi is going to have to be made.

Back into audi now with an engine warning light on and the starting issue. I wait to see their response given they've already started with "it's probably nothing to do with anything we've done"

So been back in with them now for best part of 2 days with them telling me they can't figure out what's wrong with it. Wasn't doing it before it went into them for the engine fix so has to be related surely? Feel like this could be a long one

So good news bad news. They now think they've traced it back to a faulty high pressure fuel pump bad news is it means another weekend without my car!

Getting very frustrated now another weekend gone without my car phone Cardiff audi today having been told i should have it back today and the part hasn't even arrived yet! They're hoping it will arrive tomorrow but at this point I'm not holding my breath that a) the part will arrive and b) it will even fix the issue. This has been my first experience of audi ownership and have to say after all this it'll probably be my last experience of it as well.

So today I finally got the car back! It's taken ages and it turned out to be the first thing they thought it was but the part they got sent was faulty so having finally fitted another one all is now rosey! Looking forward to driving it a bit now and actually enjoying my car!

Reactions: RS5 JON