New to Audi and am I just being paranoid ?

Desmond Hanson

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the group and I just picked up a new A4 Avant S-Line TFSI 190ps on Tuesday :)

So far really happy with the car and glad I got the Tech package.

Only problem is that I have noticed when I put my car in Reverse or Drive there’s a slight bit of lag about a second or two.

For example this morning when the auto start and stop came on while I was on an incline the car rolled back a bit before moving forward.

Also anytime I engage reverse and am on an incline a roll forward for a bit before it kicks in.

Am comparing it to my Partners’s C class and also my 3 series which don’t experience similar issues ( in saying that their both rear wheels and this is not )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I do have it but am more worried about the response time as both of our cars seem to respond a lot quickly than the Audi when D or R is selected from a stop.

If that makes sense ?

The car will have hill assist but the handbrake should automatically release anyway. Sounds like some driving is needed just to get aquainted with the setup...

The gearbox is an absolute joke full stop I genuinely can’t believe that the car was released and Audi were happy with it to go on sale.

Joke? whats wrong with it? Mines is perfect and i wouldnt go back to a manual.I guess you cant please everyone all the time ......

I think I’ll get a few miles on it and see how it goes.

For now here’s some pics !
81c832211400cfaa420e3cf2262e4e05.jpg
6e8ab011f399a701fd81054fb96bee99.jpg
ccc379e4ef6e6d07b5c3ebe3d28afaaa.jpg

Reactions: WesT-gefül, Psychoscot, psychopomp1 and 1 other person
Joke? whats wrong with it? Mines is perfect and i wouldnt go back to a manual.I guess you cant please everyone all the time ......
I’ve owned plenty of automatic cars, this is the worst auto box I’ve driven by far, I guess some people are easily pleased!

:)

I’ve owned plenty of automatic cars, this is the worst auto box I’ve driven by far, I guess some people are easily pleased!

Yea compared to ZF and 9G tronic this a bit poor. Will second you on that but apart from that is a great all rounder.

Reactions: Ssteve

Not just me then, the box is silky smooth but I was going to ask the dealer to check it due to the lag from D to R and also I find it difficult (not impossible) to creep slowly in traffic, take the foot off the brake and it wants to creep at c5mph start to brake and I feel it's looking to disengage.

Maybe mine, maybe the characteristics of the DSG I'm not sure, but coming from an 8sp ZF this is hard work.

Reactions: Desmond Hanson
Can't comment on your 'box issue as I've always been a manual owner, but welcome to the forum and nice pics too!

Not just me then, the box is silky smooth but I was going to ask the dealer to check it due to the lag from D to R and also I find it difficult (not impossible) to creep slowly in traffic, take the foot off the brake and it wants to creep at c5mph start to brake and I feel it's looking to disengage.

Maybe mine, maybe the characteristics of the DSG I'm not sure, but coming from an 8sp ZF this is hard work.

The Stronic is very different from a BMW ZF. I’ve had both and personally prefer the ZF as it’s less of a compromise, smoother and quick to change with hardly any of the lag associated with old generation torque converter boxes.
The dual clutch boxes take a little getting used to in order to drive smoothly, more like an auto changing manual, which, as you probably know, it is.
The box really comes into its own in spirited driving, so preference is down to driving my style. However, the auto start/stop implementation is just plain dangerous, cutting out at the most inappropriate times e.g. when turning across traffic, slowing for roundabouts and/or junctions, just when you need instant response. It would be much better if it didn’t cut the engine until a total stop was reached.
On quite a few occasions, I’ve gone to leave a junction or enter a roundabout just as the engine cutout and having to wait until it restarts, engages a gear and then finally wakes up, all whilst traffic is bearing down on me and my wife is telling me off.
Now its the second button I press after starting the car to turn it off.
I must admit though, the S line suspension and Quattro drive is much better than my BMW as it’s smooth, not hard riding (and that’s coming from a Lexus IS 300h).
I think as someone else said, you’ll get used to it with time and enjoy the rest of the car, which in my view, is vastly superior to the competition.

Yea I do have it but am more worried about the response time as both of our cars seem to respond a lot quickly than the Audi when D or R is selected from a stop.

If that makes sense ?

I find the pause between D and R a little frustrating too, I suspect it’s just the box shifting gears.

Doing 3 point turns with the s tronic is actually a chore. you end up looking a complete idiot when youre sitting there just waiting for the gear box to catch up.

Mine too, cannot complain at all and my three point turns are perfectly executed...

Mine too, cannot complain at all and my three point turns are perfectly executed...

Its not about ‘pleasing’ everyone... the gearbox is shabby compared to rivals such as bmw and mercedes.. jerky in low speed traffic, takes an ache to respond when doing 3 point turns too. My big toyota hilux responds quicker when doing 3 point turns..

..perhaps its time to move to bmw or merc then.....

What is it with some of you on this forum lol? Do you actually get that emotional when someone critiques a car? Get a grip lol, I will do whatever I want thank you v much.

Reactions: thewanted
Im not really that emotional about the car ,but i do find it funny that after driving loads of autos and no doubt drove the A4 before you bought it that you find the gearbox rubbish? If i disliked it that much i wouldn't have invested my hard earned in the first place.

Im not really that emotional about the car ,but i do find it funny that after driving loads of autos and no doubt drove the A4 before you bought it that you find the gearbox rubbish? If i disliked it that much i wouldn't have invested my hard earned in the first place.

Well now I have it... I have complained about the gearbox in comparison to others... afterall all this is a forum and I gave my view of the car.. good for you that you have had the car before me, would you like a reward for that my love?

Not exactly following your reply there? Good luck with those 3 point turns.!!

Thank you holly. I will have a better time with my 3 point turns knowing that your opionion is worse than my gear box :thumbs up:

Its not about ‘pleasing’ everyone... the gearbox is shabby compared to rivals such as bmw and mercedes.. jerky in low speed traffic, takes an ache to respond when doing 3 point turns too. My big toyota hilux responds quicker when doing 3 point turns..
Look I am not the one who hijacked the thread just to have moan. Just as many find as pleasing and efficient in doing what it should comparing like for like. You don't like it, fine, but don't have a go at those who do...

What is it with some of you on this forum lol? Do you actually get that emotional when someone critiques a car? Get a grip lol, I will do whatever I want thank you v much.

I thinks it’s a valid point rather than an emotional response tbf . You’re right about 3 point turns though, but I can’t remember the last time I did one.
Admittedly, a ZF is smoother in general but the flip side is the over revving until the torque converter catches up.
A ZF with a 3 litre diesel or petrol is the sweet spot but expensive to buy and run, I think the Audi 2 litre with a twin clutch robotised manual is reasonable compromise, and that’s what autos are, a compromise.

Reactions: Syed Shah
Look I am not the one who hijack the thread just to have moan. Just as many find as pleasing and efficient in doing what it should comparing like for like. You don't like it, fine, but don't bitch at those who do...

Saying its shabby compared to other rivals is having a bitch then is it? Oh lord

I thinks it’s a valid point rather than an emotional response tbf . You’re right about 3 point turns though, but I can’t remember the last time I did one.
Admittedly, a ZF is smoother in general but the flip side is the over revving until the torque converter catches up.
A ZF with a 3 litre diesel or petrol is the sweet spot but expensive to buy and run, I think the Audi 2 litre with a twin clutch robotised manual is reasonable compromise, and that’s what autos are, a compromise.

Its like anytime someone critiques a car, they get told to buy stuff from that brand. Its very annoying.. every car has a flaw and that is the a4s flaw to me.. i dont need to be told to buy another car.. i have chosen the a4 for a reason. But that doesnt mean that i cannot say i dislike a feature.

Well something we both agree with, but then if you say you should be able to critise something equally there should be the same for those who praise a car.
For me the stronic happens to be one of the best things about the A4, smooth, refined and sublime despite my early issue....

... in saying that there’s so much good to love about my new A4 Avant :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Well something we both agree with, but then if you say you should be able to critise something equally there should be the same for those who praise a car.
For me the stronic happens to be one of the best things about the A4, smooth, refined and sublime despite my early issue....

By telling someone ‘go buy a merc or bmw if you prefer their gearbox’ is such an annoying reply.. I got the A4 for a reason.. just because I think the gearbox is not as good as its rivals, it does not mean that I dislike Audi and the car... it just means that the gearbox in a rival car is better and Audi could do better.. but fair enough

Syed, I get where you are coming from - your experience of the gearboxes in other cars is preferable to that in the Audi but obviously the overall package in the Audi was good enough to get your business.

Personally I'm in the camp that doesn't really have an issue with the s-tronic though but I have had dsg for about 9 years now and also wonder if it has something to do with the engine as much as the gearbox as I don't have any delay with selecting R or D and the car then moving in the required direction, also never suffered with hesitation other than occasionally the stop start kicking in at the wrong moment or too high a gear for a given situation but a firm press of the loud pedal sorts it all out pretty much instantly.

Reactions: Syed Shah and Desmond Hanson
Syed, I get where you are coming from - your experience of the gearboxes in other cars is preferable to that in the Audi but obviously the overall package in the Audi was good enough to get your business.

Personally I'm in the camp that doesn't really have an issue with the s-tronic though but I have had dsg for about 9 years now and also wonder if it has something to do with the engine as much as the gearbox as I don't have any delay with selecting R or D and the car then moving in the required direction, also never suffered with hesitation other than occasionally the stop start kicking in at the wrong moment or too high a gear for a given situation but a firm press of the loud pedal sorts it all out pretty much instantly.

Thank you for understanding, that is exactly what I am getting at. I still love the Audi, the car is a superb drive and a lovely cruiser. Interior is matched by none in its class for me either.

My opinion of the S Tronic is due to the amount of times i find myself in traffic and the car has just taken a tad too long to respond and jerked when it did.. the lag of the 1.4 could also be a factor but I am not sure. However apart from the lag at times, the car is a treat..

There’s more to a car than just a gearbox, but you also need to take into account the very substantial thread on here about the problem, all of those people cannot be wrong.

I’ve driven thousands of cars and the gearbox in the new A4 falls short of its apparent credentials.

Reactions: Desmond Hanson and Syed Shah
There’s more to a car than just a gearbox, but you also need to take into account the very substantial thread on here about the problem, all of those people cannot be wrong.

I’ve driven thousands of cars and the gearbox in the new A4 falls short of its apparent credentials.

Thousands? Out of interest, in what capacity? Also, not sure what you mean by apparent credentials so if you wouldn't mind elaborating. As far as I was aware, the dsg/s-tronic/pdk and other mechanised manual gearboxes were introduced to satisfy economy gains whilst also improving performance due to the faster gearboxes than the torque converters of their time but they have always suffered with a less smooth transmission take up that can take some getting used to. Torque converters now seem to be as fast with gear changes and so will probably be adopted by Audi once again when the investment costs for the dual clutch have been paid off. I'd also add that previous Audis also had CVT transmissions and I wouldn't have wanted one of them at all!

Thousands? Out of interest, in what capacity? Also, not sure what you mean by apparent credentials so if you wouldn't mind elaborating. As far as I was aware, the dsg/s-tronic/pdk and other mechanised manual gearboxes were introduced to satisfy economy gains whilst also improving performance due to the faster gearboxes than the torque converters of their time but they have always suffered with a less smooth transmission take up that can take some getting used to. Torque converters now seem to be as fast with gear changes and so will probably be adopted by Audi once again when the investment costs for the dual clutch have been paid off. I'd also add that previous Audis also had CVT transmissions and I wouldn't have wanted one of them at all!

My dad owned a car sales business and my father in law owned a car and van hire business, I also worked for VAG for 3 years.

Credentials, a quality brand with a less than quality gearbox.

Oh, and to the o.p. - apart from the sh!t storm over gearboxes that you've re-kindled - Welcome, and nice looking car. Hope you enjoy.

I agree, the new 8 speed ZF torque converters have all the benefits of an auto without any of the pitfalls of an S-Tronic.
BMWs can’t compete on ride or interior quality though, but they may level up on the new model.