New thermostat fitted... Is it failing again?

gkf9

Reaction score
Drove home this afternoon, and noticed my temperature gauge only got up to 1/4 hot on display.
I changed the sensor a few weeks ago only to find out it made no difference, so booked it into Awesome for thermostatt fitting, all as been well for the last week or so till I drove home today.

Is it possible the new thermostat is faulty?
Rung Awesome up, said I will have to pay if it's not thermostat ( fair enough ). worried now I'll be folking out again.

Anyone had a new TS fail?

Thanks.

By setting up the climatronic to show engine temp you can then look at the dial on your dash and if they are reading about the same then you know your temp sender is working correctly.

I think :)

Just found this which may help further I hope

VWVortex.com - Climatronic diagnostic codes

Last edited:
By setting up the climatronic to show engine temp you can then look at the dial on your dash and if they are reading about the same then you know your temp sender is working correctly.

I think :)

Just found this which may help further I hope

VWVortex.com - Climatronic diagnostic codes

Well I drove to work this morning and the gauge hardly moved, when I got to work I left the car running and set the climate control to the lowest temp I could using the trick in the video ie: 64 degree. Now the gauge needle moved slowly up to about 64 degrees on the display ( gauge) no more, but the temp display on the climate control didn't move from 64 degrees.

Does this then point to the thermostat.?

TIA

I bet your Temp sender has FAILED

I bet your Temp sender has FAILED

I ****** hope not! I've got it booked into the garage tommorow saying they've fit me a faulty TS. How can I find out for certain what it is? I can't afford another £90 again if it's not the TS.

And would I be able to get my money back from VW for the Temp Sender if it turns out to be that?

Starting to get fed up with this car now, starting to cost to much money.

Thanks.

Buy your temp sender from TPS or GSF

Took the car back to the garage today to get a new thermo fitted after I told them the one they had fitted was faulty. Guy put it on the vagcom and after 30 mins said the problem was not the thermostat, he checked the gauge out put and watched gauge and measuring blocks ( science I don't understand ) anyway after paying £33 for them to check it and telling me it was all good I drove home.

Turned back round after it wasn't right, and demanded they fit a new thermo, still said he didn't think it was the thermo so I said I would get it fitted somewhere elseand they could reimburse for all money lost if it was the thermo.

1hr later agreeded to fit me a new one and all was good again, said they had fitted me an uprated thermo no extra charge, and apologised saying they have never had a faulty one before. Got my £33 refunded for the vagcom and off I went.

Thanks to this forum I told them I was adamant it was the tempo after the advice and symptoms mentioned on this forum.

Sorry it's a bit long winded but just shows new tempo's can be faulty.