New steering wheel question

Fast J

Reaction score
Hay guys
I'm new to this forum
But i have a question.
Just got my first Audi A3 from 2003 a few days ago but i was wondering if i could possibly replace my current steering wheel for a newer model.
I already bought myself a new wheel but after some research i don't think it will work because of the airbag constraints of single and dual systems. Could i buy a 2004 - 4 spoke steering wheel instead, will that work? Hopefully you guys can help me out.
My current wheel audi a3 2003
a3%20int.jpg

The wheel i bought 2013 (without the multifunction buttons)
s-l225.jpg

The 4 spoke wheel i want to buy instead
147.jpg

Last edited:
as far as i know yes it will fit :)

since it doesnt have multifunction, there is no problem.
and the airbags, i'm pretty sure your old steering wheel airbag is single stage, and that new one is single stage too.

you just need to make sure the pins on the airbag connector are in the same position

as far as i know yes it will fit :)

since it doesnt have multifunction, there is no problem.
and the airbags, i'm pretty sure your old steering wheel airbag is single stage, and that new one is single stage too.

you just need to make sure the pins on the airbag connector are in the same position

so it doensn't matter which wheel i choose i guess?

Last edited:
Are you sure not all newer model steering wheels are dual?

The steering wheel you want is surely 2stage and you have 1stage now in your car.
Check how many connectors the airbag you bought has.

The steering wheel you want is surely 2stage and you have 1stage now in your car.
Check how many connectors the airbag you bought has.

i have only bought the steering wheel without the airbag but if what you say is true i won't be buying it and i'll sell this new wheel. What other wheels do you recommend that have single stage airbags and are of a newer A3?

I believe you should just get airbag to suit your newly bought steering wheel, the newest Audis work on 1stage system, so possibly this wheel will fit your car.
What car is that 2013 steering wheel from?

If i have a 08 A3 TDI what year steering wheels could I look at which would be an easy swap? Thanks!

I believe you should just get airbag to suit your newly bought steering wheel, the newest Audis work on 1stage system, so possibly this wheel will fit your car.
What car is that 2013 steering wheel from?
I think it's from the Audi A4

is there some sort of diagram for reconnecting the wires for the airbag?

You are not adding any additional functions to the wheel, current slip ring is carrying all required wires: horn+airbag :)
Most probably you will need just to swap connectors (depending if you get airbag with or without wiring), leaving pinout the same. At least airbags are in the same pins, maybe horn, ground wires a bit different.

Thks for the respons. I'll post the result when it's done ;)

Any update on this ? I'm in exactly the same spot, got the Old (Like yours but 3 spoke) and what to change to the newer but also get MFSW

so setting aside the MFSW ECU+slip ring Whats the word on airbags ?