SQ5 New SQ5 Plus owner

BurgoS3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been on the forum a while with my S3 8P running a tte420 but due to the arrival of my baby girl the mrs wanted a bigger car than her BMW X1. Managed to convince her that the SQ5 ticked all the boxes for both of us and that I can keep my S3 too. I'm taken aback how well the car is and she loves bed it too.
808cd9a1691f7aea39f01aff3eb70778.jpg
0b38f3f2df37ffc63567317b0a8fe13e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT, Pinky1959, Greywolf55 and 6 others
Lovely car mate. Just a small point, you describe it as a 'plus' but it looks like a 326bhp SQ5. Plus has diamond seats and full blackpack, including black mirrors and roof rails as standard. Exhaust is also a bit different. There's also some other less obvious differences.
I'm sure you're already aware and I don't mention this as a negative, purely in case the dealer who sold it has told you it's a plus, about £4K difference in OTRP when new.

H
I've been on the forum a while with my S3 8P running a tte420 but due to the arrival of my baby girl the mrs wanted a bigger car than her BMW X1. Managed to convince her that the SQ5 ticked all the boxes for both of us and that I can keep my S3 too. I'm taken aback how well the car is and she loves bed it too.
808cd9a1691f7aea39f01aff3eb70778.jpg
0b38f3f2df37ffc63567317b0a8fe13e.jpg

Hi

Lovely car!

I currently have a 16 plate S3 saloon but thinking of my next car and the SQ5 on the list as looking for something bigger but still with good performance.

How do you find it compared with the S3?

Obviously I'm sure it doesn't feel quite as nimble but I've heard great things on the acceleration and the sound.

H

Hi

Lovely car!

I currently have a 16 plate S3 saloon but thinking of my next car and the SQ5 on the list as looking for something bigger but still with good performance.

Obviously I'm sure it doesn't feel quite as nimble but I've heard great things on the acceleration and the sound.

Order books are closed for the current bitdi, the new SQ5 is a petrol, £60K+ for a decent spec and available to order now. Not sure when the first models will get here though.

H

Hi

Lovely car!

I came to SQ5 ownership from a 8v S3 via a A3 cab (don't ask) and don't miss the S3. Yes it's a pocket rocket but also an osteopaths delight. The Sq5 ride is more compliant (stillbfirm on 21's but they are a must) and the performance is not wanting. 0 - 60 in 5 seconds for a 2 ton vehicle not bad plus I average around 40mpg on a long run. Steve McB is correct about the spec of the one in the thread - its identical to mine apartvfrom the lack of privacy glass. Buy one, you won't regret it.

Reactions: SteveMcB and paul wev
SQ5's are lovely, and make a great family choice. Agree that this is not the + version though.

I agree, I've got a 2013 sq5 ex demo, and put nearly 50k miles on it, I can't think of anything I would rather have? The trip computer hasn't been reset from new and it's showing 34 mpg, but like said before I can get it up to the high 40's mpg in a hundred mile trip. And it's neck and neck with my brothers e46 m3 (until you get to some twisty bits)

SQ5

Wouldn't worry no difference I found from sq5 and sq5 +

Main difference is the sports diff, but you only notice that when pushing on, others are mainly cosmetic, the extra 14 bhp and 50 NM of twist are probably barely, if even, noticeable. Residuals on the plus are slightly (not much) higher.

I came to SQ5 ownership from a 8v S3 via a A3 cab (don't ask) and don't miss the S3. Yes it's a pocket rocket but also an osteopaths delight. The Sq5 ride is more compliant (stillbfirm on 21's but they are a must) and the performance is not wanting. 0 - 60 in 5 seconds for a 2 ton vehicle not bad plus I average around 40mpg on a long run. Steve McB is correct about the spec of the one in the thread - its identical to mine apartvfrom the lack of privacy glass. Buy one, you won't regret it.

Agree, I've never owned an S3 but had extensive use of a 10 plate a few years back. Coming from scobbies I really liked the S3, it was a comparable drive but a much nicer place to be.
The SQ5 doesn't have the same level of chuckability but, apart from the Macan, it's by far and away the best handling SUV I've ever driven, it's a great allrounder, loads of grunt and decent on fuel, it's certainly the best car I've owned.
The end of line plus SEs were fully loaded and could be had for about £47K after discount, a real bargain.
The new petrol version looks good, apart from the ipod!!, but on paper they are slightly down on performance, quite expensive and will no doubt be much heavier on fuel.

Reactions: paul wev
I came from M3 but too small for grandkids looked at Macan but I found too expensive SQ5 is as good as it gets for suv.

I'm off to the dealer this afternoon as every bit of paperwork I've got refers to it as a SQ5 +. Does anybody know what the 2 different engine codes are. I do really like the car but if it's been missold to me then it will be going back unless we can agree on something

It's a totally different drive to my S3 as I have modified it quite a bit and it should be pushing 420bhp+ at the end of the week. The SQ5 is still a lot of fun when giving it some and surprises a lot of people off the line

I'm off to the dealer this afternoon as every bit of paperwork I've got refers to it as a SQ5 +. Does anybody know what the 2 different engine codes are. I do really like the car but if it's been missold to me then it will be going back unless we can agree on something

It's a totally different drive to my S3 as I have modified it quite a bit and it should be pushing 420bhp+ at the end of the week. The SQ5 is still a lot of fun when giving it some and surprises a lot of people off the line

Can't help you with codes but the plus is rated at 340bhp with 700NM of torque. Off the top of my head the standard equipment over the SQ5 is
Sports diff (brilliant bit of kit),
Diamond stitched seats,
21" alloys,
Full black pack,
Dark tint on rear windows,
Bench seat plus
Edit: Powered tailgate
I think the tech pack including nav was a higher spec but yours probably has that ticked as an option anyway.

The SEs came out about 66 plate and also had a load of other stuff including pan roof, smart key, BnO, folding mirrors etc.

If you need an engine code let me know and I'll try to find it.

Last edited:
Agreed. The lack of black door mirror housings and the other black pack are a giveaway to it being the 'standard' model.

So it appears you are right. Thanks for the heads up All my paperwork from Audi state that it's an SQ5+ including the vehicle order form and finance details. However the v5 and insurance docs claim it is a SQ5. So basically it's been missold to us as we where told it was a +, the salesman and dealer manager also believed that. The manager has to speak to the regional manager about what to do next But he said there are a few possible options
- return the car and all money returned
- They find us a plus at no extra cost to us
- They reduce the payments on the current car
- I also enquired about just a straight swap for a RS4 avant that they had in that's 6k dearer and they said that shouldn't be a problem

We should know more in a few days

So it appears you are right. Thanks for the heads up All my paperwork from Audi state that it's an SQ5+ including the vehicle order form and finance details. However the v5 and insurance docs claim it is a SQ5. So basically it's been missold to us as we where told it was a +, the salesman and dealer manager also believed that. The manager has to speak to the regional manager about what to do next But he said there are a few possible options
- return the car and all money returned
- They find us a plus at no extra cost to us
- They reduce the payments on the current car
- I also enquired about just a straight swap for a RS4 avant that they had in that's 6k dearer and they said that shouldn't be a problem

We should know more in a few days

Result - that's a pint you're due me ;-)

If it were me I'd be sorely tempted by the RS4 but it'll be much more expensive to run and probably not the ideal car for transporting your new precious cargo?

If they are prepared to give you a £6K upgrade why not push for a plus SE, they've got almost every extra as standard?

Last edited:
Yep good result but as Steve said the running costs of the RS4 will hit your wallet harder than an SQ. Having driven the RS4 I would be tempted too but do you really fancy £500 pa road tax and 20mpg?RS front brakes and discs are £1000 a shot too!

No need for beer, unless you find yourself in Bonny Scotland ;-) just let us know what option you eventually go for :). I'm obviously biased but the SQ5 plus is a great car and won't hit your wallet too hard.
Who knows for sure but if they don't introduce a bitdi into the new range I think that could be good for current model residuals.

Edit: Kufatec make a little box that plugs into the active exhaust so you can fine tune it to get it sounding from anything between almost silent and very loud. It won't compete with an RS but still sounds pretty good IMO. It can be switched off with ADS for when your passenger needs a kip.

Last edited:
No need for beer, unless you find yourself in Bonny Scotland ;-) just let us know what option you eventually go for :). I'm obviously biased but the SQ5 plus is a great car and won't hit your wallet too hard.
Who knows for sure but if they don't introduce a bitdi into the new range I think that could be good for current model residuals.

Edit: Kufatec make a little box that plugs into the active exhaust so you can fine tune it to get it sounding from anything between almost silent and very loud. It won't compete with an RS but still sounds pretty good IMO. It can be switched off with ADS for when your passenger needs a kip.

I'm a man of my word so if I venture up there I sort you out.

They loaned us the RS4 while the SQ5 was having a scratch in the steering wheel repaired. It was fun to drive for me but the mrs didn't like it too much and didn't like being in low down position compared to the SQ5 so that and the higher running costs rules that out. I've still got my s3 for when I want to go and do some spirited driving

The dealer has managed to find us a SQ5+, same year with all the standard features and a couple more . This one is in sepang blue which is the original colour we wanted, this one has an extra 10k miles on it so I convinced them to include the next service. We are getting it at cost price as a gesture of good will, it's going to cost us a extra£1.50 per month. Just waiting for all the paperwork to be finalised before we swap the cars here is the new one
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703073025465

No flat bottom wheel, advanced key or drive select :-(

Nice car - best colour too :)

Picking it up tomorrow, got them to chuck in the next service and it turns out that the wear on the brake discs and pads where at the limit for selling an approved Audi so they have put new discs and pads all around

Reactions: SteveMcB
Picked it up today and more than happy with it and really like the colour
ea463b78db87afa16180ba2011675a52.jpg

Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT, Pinky1959, Riko0073 and 2 others
That's more like it! Congrats and enjoy.

Reactions: BurgoS3