New saloon ordered - what wheel query

steelfish

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally decided my B8 A4 was a bit big and barge like for just me in it 99% of the time so I decided to go for the better looking A3 saloon. Can't wait for it to turn up in lovely Daytona Grey.

My question is: I recently bought some 19" (ET 45) alloys and winter tyres that I've been using on the A4, I know I'll need a spigot ring to cater for the smaller CB of the A3 but do we think they will look nice on the A3? I can't remember the name of these alloys, so I've added a pic of both. Just wanted some opinions really.

Oh and what's the general consensus on using spigot rings? As I understand it, they're used just for locating the wheel properly when you change wheels - torquing up the 5 x bolts takes all the load, and therefore using spigot rings is safe. Is this correct?

IMG_1294 by Joe Harrison, on Flickr

And the wheels I have now on the A4:

F10A5395 by Joe Harrison, on Flickr

Defo the bottom set if you can get em on !!

well they're only 8Jx19 ET 45 so I was thinking they'd be OK, spigot ring query aside. I've never used spigot rings before and just a little surprised they're just polycarbonate.

Tyres are 255/35 R 19 96 W and almost new so it would be a shame for me to have to flog them off cheap.....maybe I should have thought of that before I got all excited and frothing over the A3! haha

Great. Thanks for the replies so far. Spigot rings ordered.

I know the S3 standard tyre is 235/35R19 on an 8J wheel so I can't quite work out why my A4 8J wheel has 255/35R19 tyres on. That's 2cm wider, right? Maybe the standard S3 tyre has a little more natural 'stretch' versus the A4 standard 'bloat'.

Reactions: Simon L