New S5 Sportback Order

nunp

Reaction score
Hi all. I have today placed an order for a new S5 sport back from dealer stock. Fairly basic spec, ibis white, flat bottomed steering wheel, heated rear seats, extended LED light pack and folding mirrors. Can't wait to pick it up on Monday, coming from a A4 allroad 3.0 TDI 272. Amazing engine which just kept on pulling but was so wallowy in the corners but comfortable. Couple of questions I'm hoping people on the forum can help

- what is the ride like on the stand non adaptive suspension. I've live in the country and the roads around me can be on the bumpy side
- crazy question, any sport back owners have a toddler / baby? How practical is the car with child seat/boot?
- average mpg?

Will post some pics when collected but looking forward to owning a S5 for 2 years (car on a 2 yr lease)

Hi

Congrats on new order.

Passive suspension is firm but it's also compliant and not crashy. I would have adaptive out of choice but I also took a stock car which didn't have this option and I've no complaints about the ride.

I've got a 3 year old and the S5 SB is loads more practical than my previous 3 series saloon BMW, loads more leg room in the back, bigger boot and a hatchback so easily more practical than a 3 series - if that helps at all...?

Congrats on the new car.

Space wise the car is excellent. We have two young(Ish) boys and no issues. They were be reason i went with a SB rather than coupe and zero regrets.

Suspension is firm but I actually find it fine - it's certainly better than my last car!

Congrats for the car m8!

I can't comment on the firmness of the ride as I have the adaptive suspension, and it is silky smooth.
I have an 18 month old boy and its a very good car with a baby. Boot space is huge and baby sits comfortable behind me in an ISOFIX childseat. Easy to put him in an out as the doors open quite wide.
My average MPG is around 25, that with very little motorway, about 60-70% country road, rest in town. I don't really drive to safe fuel to be honest, but with a car like this I don't think you supposed to :) Doing a lot motorway mpg goes above 30, no more than 35 tho, so I cant fathom how they've did the official 37mpg.

Cheers folks. I was actually looking for an S4 Avant to begin with but was concerned I would get bored if having another A4 variant. Good to know on the ride quality, I expect it to be firm but all the reviews talk about excellent ride quality on the adaptive suspension. My car will be used occasionally to ferry us around so as long as the car seat fits we should be fine however our little man likes to be able to see out so as the car does not have privacy glass he should be fine. The rear doors seemed a little narrow but should be ok. Looking forward to it, by far the fastest car I have owned and found on the 272 diesel it's all too easy to get carried away and be over the speed limit

Sooo today was pick up / handover. Too busy at work to get excited during the day but left the house nice and early to make sure I was at the dealers early so to enjoy the handover / new car feeling - especially for a S5!! Arrived, car was looking great in the handover area but had a Tech sat in the passenger seat. Salesman comes over and says we're just trying to set up Audi connect and you'll be on your Way shortly. 30 mins later we sit down and he says there is a connection issue, appears to be an issue with the SIM card so audi connect is not working. I was presented with two options, take the car as is and book it in so to get fixed or leave it with them and delay collection until Friday but would give me a suitable courtesy car until then.

Needless to say I'm still absolutely gutted and part angry and ****** off and understsnding at the same time. I also noted that the passenger leather seat base bolster was severely creased, almost looks its sagged probably as the tech was sat on the edge of the seat. Looks pretty unsightly and remember it looking like new on Saturday when I looked at the car. Asking for that to be rectified.

Anyway I have left the car with them and have been given a TTs which incidentally is brilliant! But what a balls up though. I guess they could have just let me drive off and not let me know.

So what are people's thoughts, do I push for some goodwill for loss of new car handover experience!! Or genuinely have a case to ask for something in return. Sounds dramatic but it's left a bit of a sour note and feel like going elsewhere and ordering something else considering I had to raise a complaint re the same dealer as my original enquiry was not responded to twice only to receive an automated message to say sorry you did not order a car from us, what can we do next time. Urr respond to customers! Sales director was great in responding though.

Anyway just wanted to share my frustration and ask for peoples opinions.

Sooo today was pick up / handover. Too busy at work to get excited during the day but left the house nice and early to make sure I was at the dealers early so to enjoy the handover / new car feeling - especially for a S5!! Arrived, car was looking great in the handover area but had a Tech sat in the passenger seat. Salesman comes over and says we're just trying to set up Audi connect and you'll be on your Way shortly. 30 mins later we sit down and he says there is a connection issue, appears to be an issue with the SIM card so audi connect is not working. I was presented with two options, take the car as is and book it in so to get fixed or leave it with them and delay collection until Friday but would give me a suitable courtesy car until then.

Needless to say I'm still absolutely gutted and part angry and ****** off and understsnding at the same time. I also noted that the passenger leather seat base bolster was severely creased, almost looks its sagged probably as the tech was sat on the edge of the seat. Looks pretty unsightly and remember it looking like new on Saturday when I looked at the car. Asking for that to be rectified.

Anyway I have left the car with them and have been given a TTs which incidentally is brilliant! But what a balls up though. I guess they could have just let me drive off and not let me know.

So what are people's thoughts, do I push for some goodwill for loss of new car handover experience!! Or genuinely have a case to ask for something in return. Sounds dramatic but it's left a bit of a sour note and feel like going elsewhere and ordering something else considering I had to raise a complaint re the same dealer as my original enquiry was not responded to twice only to receive an automated message to say sorry you did not order a car from us, what can we do next time. Urr respond to customers! Sales director was great in responding though.

Anyway just wanted to share my frustration and ask for peoples opinions.

You've just bought a £45k+ Vehicle... you have every right to feel that way!

Hi all. So finally collected the S5 sportback today with Audi Connect finally working, required a simple software update apparently. Haven't had much of an opportunity to drive it but very happy with the comfort, cabin and effortless acceleration. One think is bothering me however is when I start the car after a while of being idle i.e the car shakes quite a bit whilst the engine warms up, it settles after you drive off but sat stationary it feels really a little uncomforble. I've never owned a car that shook this much when cold then again most have been diesels and not a V6 petrol. Is this the same for others on the forum or do i have a problem with my car already?

Errr, mine doesnt shake, it just purrs. Id say something isnt right, like an engine mount or its misfiring :(

Get it back to the dealers and see if it shows any codes

Enjoy the car...hopefully just a couple of teething issues that will be sorted out.

Ibis White is a lovely white.
Its not trying to be anything other than plain white. Easy to keep clean and doesn't show up the swirls too much.

As for my real life mpg.......I'm doing around a 13 mile trip Monday-Friday in "not too bad traffic" and I am averaging 30mpg.
Weekends with a bit of spirited driving brings that down :)