New S5 Sportback...getting ready to press the button...

Options are a personal thing and also depend on how much use / many hours you will spend driving per year. Is it a lease or buy?

Have you added up how much this would cost, I reckon this spec. would cost close to 60k? The launch cars were listed at 58k.

Unless you doing over 12,000 mls a year I think the Driver Assistance Pack, Dynamic Steering, Panoramic roof, Adaptive suspension and privacy glass, Sports diff. are expensive and difficult to justify.

I agree with Chris that options are personal and depends what you want from the car. However, I'd rate the steering, diff, suspension especially having got them. Privacy is good if you have kids (as I do) and they don't like sun in their faces. Sunroof is the only one I didn't go with. I've specced it on previous cars and never noticed the difference in light particularly and never opened it, so haven't bothered since and never missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Options are a personal thing and also depend on how much use / many hours you will spend driving per year. Is it a lease or buy?

Have you added up how much this would cost, I reckon this spec. would cost close to 60k? The launch cars were listed at 58k.

Unless you doing over 12,000 mls a year I think the Driver Assistance Pack, Dynamic Steering, Panoramic roof, Adaptive suspension and privacy glass, Sports diff. are expensive and difficult to justify.

I agree with Chris that options are personal and depends what you want from the car. However, I'd rate the steering, diff, suspension especially having got them. Privacy is good if you have kids (as I do) and they don't like sun in their faces. Sunroof is the only one I didn't go with. I've specced it on previous cars and never noticed the difference in light particularly and never opened it, so haven't bothered since and never missed it

Thanks, guys...I guess the options are personal. Joe, I cant seem to find any information regarding these massage seats? Are they standard even with the super sports seats? How do you control it? Most pics of interiors only show the heated seat sign on the midsection.

Thanks, guys...I guess the options are personal. Joe, I cant seem to find any information regarding these massage seats? Are they standard even with the super sports seats? How do you control it? Most pics of interiors only show the heated seat sign on the midsection.

On the standard set up for the S5 on the Audi website under seats it's says Pneumatic massage function. It's controlled via a multifunction knob on the side of the seat and in turn via the MMI. You can have 3 different styles of massage, wave is my favourite and each have 3 different strength levels. You won't see a button for it on the dash as it's all controlled via the knob on the seat base itself

Would you say the damping control has the biggest impact on the comfort level? I have it on my s3 saloon and to be honest I can tell very little difference between any of the settings in terms of ride quality and comfort.

I know Joe rates them. I originally spec'd Adaptive Dampers but several salesman at my dealership told me they couldn't tell the difference. The demo S5 I drove felt comfortable vs my current drive so I took it off. For £900 I would rather have B&O sound and folding mirrors.

I definitely feel my car is better damped and compliant than the demo car I took out than didn't have it. However I doubt it is terrible to live with so up to you. I do a long commute and the damping is definitely better than my old S3 but without a Which magazine level of testing I couldn't tell you hand on heart what percentage of that is the damping control vs just the difference in cars. I got it anyway just to be sure

Joe, I think you're right, it's more likely to be the set-up of the S5 suspension v's S3 that's gives improved comfort.
The other thing I found was that the S5 handled much more neutral than the S3 and isn't so prone to understeer. Probably the Torsen 4 wheel drive helps as I never feel Haldex adds anything to the handling in normal every day driving, except extra weight that is!
Haven't got mine yet so time will tell. Do you agree?

Joe, I think you're right, it's more likely to be the set-up of the S5 suspension v's S3 that's gives improved comfort.
The other thing I found was that the S5 handled much more neutral than the S3 and isn't so prone to understeer. Probably the Torsen 4 wheel drive helps as I never feel Haldex adds anything to the handling in normal every day driving, except extra weight that is!
Haven't got mine yet so time will tell. Do you agree?

Well I just took it for a spirited drive (supposedly to get fuel but took long route home) and I agree. I this warm weather it just grips and turns, not a hint of understeer, and dare I say actually felt a little RWD mod corner (probably the diff kicking in). Much more composed mid corner for sure

@Joetidman how you finding the brakes compared to your S3. I had loan S5 a few week back and had a couple of "whoaaaaa" moments and found them to be a little underpowered compared to the S3. I know the S5 is heavier but expected stopping power to be equally upgraded, that said you can stop an S3 on a sixpence, relatively speaking

@Joetidman how you finding the brakes compared to your S3. I had loan S5 a few week back and had a couple of "whoaaaaa" moments and found them to be a little underpowered compared to the S3. I know the S5 is heavier but expected stopping power to be equally upgraded, that said you can stop an S3 on a sixpence, relatively speaking
The S5 has very large front calipers, but breaking is not what it would seem. Had the 'whoaaaaa' issue once breaking heavily from 145mph coming up to a bend (I know, I know). They would be pretty crap on a track day, but for general use though they are fine.

Reactions: Daveotto
That's a mighty fine piece of "man maths", I like it.

Best discount I got offered on carwow was 14.1%, on finance from Coventry Audi. Trying to get local dealer to match - he said ' Coventry Audi again, they are killing us, don't know how they do it" so must be a good place to go.
Is that 14.1% discount including or excluding the £2500 from Audi. I believe the dealer contributes £1000 towards the £2500?

Is that 14.1% discount including or excluding the £2500 from Audi. I believe the dealer contributes £1000 towards the £2500?
It included the £2500 contribution, which the dealer pays ( or did earlier in their year anyway). Better discounts may be possible now the model isn't so new

The S5 has very large front calipers, but breaking is not what it would seem. Had the 'whoaaaaa' issue once breaking heavily from 145mph coming up to a bend (I know, I know). They would be pretty **** on a track day, but for general use though they are fine.

I can't say I've tested them to 145mph but at normal-ish speeds I find them very effective. However I would say they have a different feel to the S3. My S3 was very 'grabby' compared to the S5 where you need more pressure applied, but once applied you get significant braking force. I've done a few unexpected emergency brakes where I was doing a few miles an hour over the speed limit *ahem* and my face nearly touched the windscreen! So I completely get your comment @Daveotto about the brakes compared to the S3 but I think it's just the way they are set up vs actually stopping power

Reactions: Daveotto