New S5 Sportback...getting ready to press the button...

Joetidman

Reaction score
Hey all, I thought I'd start a thread here, as, unlike the S3 area, it seems a bit dead in here, so hopefully some people will respond! It's hard to get much information on what people are experiencing around the S5, and the S5 Sportback other than journos, so any thoughts welcome, as I contemplate ordering one.

I'm currently got an S3 Saloon, which is an awesome car, I still love it, but being a petrolhead its nearing time for a change. I think the S5 Sportback ticks all my boxes, which are a similarly fast, high quality car, with 4 doors, a decent boot, and still looking really nice.

I'm off on Wednesday to test drive an S5, so I can report back on that. I'm currently looking at potentially ordering one in Navarra Blue, with Magma Red seats, Privacy glass, Light and Vision pack, Storage pack, sports diff, hill hold assist, adaptive suspension, red Calipers, heated steering wheel, B&O sound system, folding mirrors, electric seats with memory, assistant pack - tour.

Any thoughts welcome on my options etc

Reactions: daytonamart
I'm another S3 owner jumping ship to an S5. In my case I'm looking for something a bit bigger and more mature than a hot hatch.
Hopefully there's a few other ex-S3 members doing the same so this forum will light up a bit.

I'm going to try leasing this time to keep capital in my pocket, do away with the hassle of trading in/selling and, hopefully, throw away less than the deprecation would be if buying outright.

Clearly you like your toys, Joe. My S3 is well specced but in all honestly I can do without the majority of the toys - adaptive cruise especially. In any case a downside of leasing is the on-cost of optional extras so I'm 'limiting myself' to VC, sunroof, hill hold asssist and flat-bottomed wheel.

Roll on March.

Reactions: Joetidman
I too am about to press the button on the S5 sportback. Navarra blue, adaptive dampers, light and vision pack and flat bottomed wheel.

Not coming from s3, have been driving BMW 330d GT which is a great car, but really fancy a proper sounding petrol! Test drive coupe last weekend and was blown away, it put a massive smile on my face.

Had a good look found the sportback today (photos on the pictures thread), seems the ideal mix of practicality ( I like to chuck a bike in the back) and sleek looks. A bit of further negotiation needed with the dealer, but in my mind it's on its way!

Sounds great guys, Navarra blue is clearly popular which is good. Dickie, do you mind sharing what your lease payments are coming in at? I'm never considered it, so clueless on that. I must admit, I do love the toys. To be honest, once I've mentally committed to dropping cash on a car, I just think f@** it I might as well spec it up. Clearly makes it more expensive, but going through Car Wow, I'm being offered a 13% discount which is mental on a car which is only been available for 2 months! It actually means that my options are coming 'free' which I'm using to convince my missus :)

That's a mighty fine piece of "man maths", I like it.

Best discount I got offered on carwow was 14.1%, on finance from Coventry Audi. Trying to get local dealer to match - he said ' Coventry Audi again, they are killing us, don't know how they do it" so must be a good place to go.

Great work! I never got anywhere near that amount on my S3 despite haggling and using car wow etc, so happy it brings the cost down. It's amazing how you can convince yourself of anything

Navarra Blue would have been my choice but I object to paying a premium for a pigment change. On lease you seem to pay roughly the on cost of the option during the lease period so I tried to contain myself.
As I recall the basic lease deal (9+23 with VAT) was around £340/m, metalic paint put it up to £360 ish and as specified (Black, red leather, sunroof, VC, HHA, flat bottom wheel) came in below £400/m. - 8k miles pa.

I ordered last November for delivery in Feb and I note its due to be built 13th March, so that's not going to happen. I'm hoping that when delivery slips into April they don't try to palm off the increase in VED, etc in increased payments.

Interested to know if anyone else is in the position of having a lease car potentially stradding the date of the increased rates.

I'll have a chat with the Audi dealer on Wednesday about it. Looks like a few options to work through, thanks for that. On another front, has anyone considered whether they will add a SIM card to enable in-car wifi? I didn't have Audi connect with my S3, and I'm wondering whether its worth the extra money to have an additional SIM, vs just hooking my kids iPads up to my iPhone 7 directly? I'm hoping that the Audi aerial is superior to my phone (which often drops 4G on the move in parts of the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm coming from a high spec S3 SB to the S5 Coupe. Order placed on 11 Jan and expecting delivery in April. Have gone for Daytona as my S3 is Estoril and wanted a change. Previous S4 was black so working my way through the various colours until I get a Vegas yellow R8

Had the connect in the S3 and worked okay for me in terms of the family hooking up to the car. Hope the S5 has this feature.

Hey all, I thought I'd start a thread here, as, unlike the S3 area, it seems a bit dead in here, so hopefully some people will respond! It's hard to get much information on what people are experiencing around the S5, and the S5 Sportback other than journos, so any thoughts welcome, as I contemplate ordering one.

I'm currently got an S3 Saloon, which is an awesome car, I still love it, but being a petrolhead its nearing time for a change. I think the S5 Sportback ticks all my boxes, which are a similarly fast, high quality car, with 4 doors, a decent boot, and still looking really nice.

I'm off on Wednesday to test drive an S5, so I can report back on that. I'm currently looking at potentially ordering one in Navarra Blue, with Magma Red seats, Privacy glass, Light and Vision pack, Storage pack, sports diff, hill hold assist, adaptive suspension, red Calipers, heated steering wheel, B&O sound system, folding mirrors, electric seats with memory, assistant pack - tour.

Any thoughts welcome on my options etc

Depends what's important to you. If you want to drive this car enthusiastically I would recommend dynamic steering coupled with sports diff. Ive tested the S5 and S4 both with and without these options, and the drive is way superior with dynamic steering (great balance and connectivity to the front wheels) whatever you might have heard (which is mostly based on the previous system).

I think damping suspension is a must on 5's as the suspension set up is firm, firmer than a 4 and damping gives great options on our varied road surfaces as well as your driving style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dippy
Best discount I got offered on carwow was 14.1%, on finance from Coventry Audi. Trying to get local dealer to match - he said ' Coventry Audi again, they are killing us, don't know how they do it" so must be a good place to go.

Supprised to see Coventry Audi's carwow discount on the S5, best they could do on my £55k spec S4 Avant
was 9.5% on carwow, one of the lowest offers I had.

Supprised to see Coventry Audi's carwow discount on the S5, best they could do on my £55k spec S4 Avant
was 9.5% on carwow, one of the lowest offers I had.

What was the best out of interest?

So I went to the dealer today and took out an S5 coupe (although looking to buy the sportback). First time out in it and I was impressed. The sound in dynamic mode is much more noisy and interesting that in the S3. It's often got a higher pitch under hard acceleration, which sounds much more sports like. I do hope its the same in the sportback as it is in the coupe (anyone know?). The gearbox feels much like my stronic which is reassuring, but perhaps a little smoother at low speeds. Interior is amazing, as is the virtual cockpit. Seats were great, although still not as much side bolstering as I would like. It's about the same as my SS Seats in the S3. A bit hard to judge the ride as i don't think the car had adaptive suspension, so I guess it can only get better. It was firm but not crashy. Hard to judge on absolute pace vs my S3. there probably wasn't much in it, but I'd need a longer run to be sure. It did feel like it had more go at higher speeds (there goes my licence!). Steering was a little different than I expected. It didn't have dynamic steering (which I'm used too) and I found myself putting on too little lock on tight turns. It's made me reconsider putting in on the list. Size-wise the boot is much bigger and more useful than my saloon, and the rear space is definitely better for the kids.

What I now need to decide on is whether I can make the sums add up. My S3 is still under 3 years on a 4 year deal so it's not making me much equity at all, so I'm going to have to throw in a fair bit of cash to get the payments where I want them. Audi are trying to sell me nearly £2K worth of insurance and SMART products, which I'm pretty sure I'll tell them to shove it and take them all off.

Any thoughts from anyone else on whether they are getting the smart products on theirs? I got the works on my S3, and honestly I don't think I've got my money's worth. When you add in the excess each time, and all the restrictions on what you can claim its a pain. Also I just can't tell that I had anything added to the paint of leather. They still picked up all the normal chips and scratches regardless. I'll welcome views however

So I went to the dealer today and took out an S5 coupe (although looking to buy the sportback). First time out in it and I was impressed. The sound in dynamic mode is much more noisy and interesting that in the S3. It's often got a higher pitch under hard acceleration, which sounds much more sports like. I do hope its the same in the sportback as it is in the coupe (anyone know?). The gearbox feels much like my stronic which is reassuring, but perhaps a little smoother at low speeds. Interior is amazing, as is the virtual cockpit. Seats were great, although still not as much side bolstering as I would like. It's about the same as my SS Seats in the S3. A bit hard to judge the ride as i don't think the car had adaptive suspension, so I guess it can only get better. It was firm but not crashy. Hard to judge on absolute pace vs my S3. there probably wasn't much in it, but I'd need a longer run to be sure. It did feel like it had more go at higher speeds (there goes my licence!). Steering was a little different than I expected. It didn't have dynamic steering (which I'm used too) and I found myself putting on too little lock on tight turns. It's made me reconsider putting in on the list. Size-wise the boot is much bigger and more useful than my saloon, and the rear space is definitely better for the kids.

What I now need to decide on is whether I can make the sums add up. My S3 is still under 3 years on a 4 year deal so it's not making me much equity at all, so I'm going to have to throw in a fair bit of cash to get the payments where I want them. Audi are trying to sell me nearly £2K worth of insurance and SMART products, which I'm pretty sure I'll tell them to shove it and take them all off.

Any thoughts from anyone else on whether they are getting the smart products on theirs? I got the works on my S3, and honestly I don't think I've got my money's worth. When you add in the excess each time, and all the restrictions on what you can claim its a pain. Also I just can't tell that I had anything added to the paint of leather. They still picked up all the normal chips and scratches regardless. I'll welcome views however

Nice write up, thanks!

Vast majority of the add ins are overpriced garbage. The GAP is many times more expensive and less adequate than online, and the paint protection is borderline fraud...it takes far longer than an hour or two to protect the car properly, and some people have reported that they haven't even applied anything.

Only thing I actually think is decent is the alloy wheel insurance, which I got for free. 6 claims a year and mine covered diamond cut (make sure you dealer does though, as it does vary). Flexible and paid for itself after just one claim.

I'm thinking of buying a used S3, but a hatch not a saloon, so can't help you there!

The guy who did my detailing told me some tales about dealer-applied paint protection. The fact that so little work is done was the least of his horror stories! Definitely not worth it.

The thing to remember is that insurance is intended to make money for the insurer.

In response to "seats were great, although still not as much side bolstering as I would like. It's about the same as my SS Seats in the S3" I don't know if you discovered the controls on the seat to bring the side bolsters in? Much like BMW's have.

Being of "small width" I sometime find I am being thrown around in the SS seats in the S3 so this will be awesome! But if you are after bolster with more depth akin to Recaro's from RS Cosworths etc then no not quite as big.

If you want a ceramic coating then go to a detailer... so much better and will be applied properly and would probably be cheaper also if the prep of the car from dealer is pants then corrections can be carried out... the stuff Audi try and flog you for £500 is about £40 on ebay and the people applying it are not experts!! Gap try ala.co.uk print the quote and tell dealer to match it at pick up.

I might consider the alloy wheel protection if they offer it at a cheap price like they did to my ex when we picked her A1 BE up £100 for 4 years!

In response to "seats were great, although still not as much side bolstering as I would like. It's about the same as my SS Seats in the S3" I don't know if you discovered the controls on the seat to bring the side bolsters in? Much like BMW's have.

Being of "small width" I sometime find I am being thrown around in the SS seats in the S3 so this will be awesome! But if you are after bolster with more depth akin to Recaro's from RS Cosworths etc then no not quite as big.

If you want a ceramic coating then go to a detailer... so much better and will be applied properly and would probably be cheaper also if the prep of the car from dealer is pants then corrections can be carried out... the stuff Audi try and flog you for £500 is about £40 on ebay and the people applying it are not experts!! Gap try ala.co.uk print the quote and tell dealer to match it at pick up.

I might consider the alloy wheel protection if they offer it at a cheap price like they did to my ex when we picked her A1 BE up £100 for 4 years!

Great advice, and no I didn't realise you can adjust the bolstering in the S5, how good is that!! I don't think I will take any of their products, I think I can get cheaper elsewhere on all of it including the alloys (they are asking £399)

So I have finally pressed the button, and ordered!! In the end I did add the dynamic steering, and I got the payments where I wanted them. Currently being told end of April for delivery, however given the comments on this forum I'm expecting that to slip into May once my build slot is confirmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ordered today too Joe? They didn't quote me a delivery, said they would have an idea this week. I am preparing myself for June delivery, anything earlier will be a bonus!

Have you ordered today too Joe? They didn't quote me a delivery, said they would have an idea this week. I am preparing myself for June delivery, anything earlier will be a bonus!

Yeah I ordered today. I am not holding my breath though as it was the salesman that said 3 months delivery, which is end-April. My experience is that they will say anything until they have your money. To be honest May is fine, I'm not in a massive rush, June would feel a long time I suppose as I'm car obsessed and will no doubt spend every waking minute thinking about it until it arrives lol

What discount are folk getting on S5 Sportback's?
Local dealer offered 7.5% on top of £2500 contribution. Not enough to tempt us even with a reasonable trade in on our current S5.

I got just over 13%

Does that include the finance contribution of £2500?
If so, pretty much what we were offered.

My wife's car is a one year old S5 Black Edition Sportback and, as amazing as the new interior is it doesn't merit the £200 extra a month to make the change.
Will wait until there is nearer 20% available (a couple of years perhaps).

Last edited:
I got offered 9.1 on the cash price, 14.1 including the 2500 contribution on finance through a dealer on Carwow. Local dealer matched and threw in a couple of extras.

You can buy GAP insurance for as little as £60, so don't pay for it through the dealer.

Yeah Craig it included the £2500. However I was quite happy with it. I got far less on my S3 and currently my wife is getting £363 off a Q2!! I know its a cheaper car, but at £35K you'd expect more off than that

Yeah I ordered today. I am not holding my breath though as it was the salesman that said 3 months delivery, which is end-April. My experience is that they will say anything until they have your money. To be honest May is fine, I'm not in a massive rush, June would feel a long time I suppose as I'm car obsessed and will no doubt spend every waking minute thinking about it until it arrives lol

So confirmation today from Audi that mine is scheduled for build in week 18 (1st may) which means delivery 'late may/early june' . Pretty much what I expected, but still disappointing as now that I have ordered I want it straightaway! Will be interesting to see how your date pan out as we ordered on the same day.

I note from other forums that the build dates do move around, forwards as well as backwards

I ordered mine end of September and was told 3/4 months and picked it up 28th November. This was back in 2015.

Hopefully yours will be around end of March/April.

I ordered mine end of September and was told 3/4 months and picked it up 28th November. This was back in 2015.

Hopefully yours will be around end of March/April.

Hopefully so, though to be honest I don't need it earlier as current car runs until July...I just WANT it earlier!!

So having only just ordered my car, I'm already wondering whether I have all the right options...! My current wobble is over the steering wheel (which I have specced as the heated one). I currently have the flat-bottom one in my S3 which looks the part, but the heated one, which sounded cool only comes in the standard wheel, not the flat-bottom. Any thoughts from anyone, should I dump the heating and go back to flat-bottom just on looks? My second issue is around the audi-phone box. I haven't specced, as I have an iphone 7 plus which doesn't support it. However, having looked on the net I can see its pretty easy to get a case/dongle to make my iphone Qi-enabled (and potentially the next iphone will have it too), so is it worth £325 to get, and an extra £20 for the Maxfield Qi dongle and future-proof the car? I don't know how long I have before I can't make any changes to the order (plus don't want to keep ******* about with the dealer and have them hate me already!)

I've read somewhere in the S4 section that when selecting the heating option, the customisable shortcut button on the wheel gets replaced by the heating button. For me I went FB and got a pair of warm gloves.

I had the same dilemma over the phone box, I'm sure the next iPhone will have wireless charging but knowing apple they would delevope a new system, not compatable with Qi. For £325 I've decide to go the plug in wireless charging pad for future proofing. I ordered my S4 3 weeks ago now so feel your pain lol. I was at BW14 but it has slipped to BW 16 so looking at mid May delivery

I can't ever remember driving thinking my steering wheel was too cold..! I went for the flat bottomed one, purely because it looks good and now when I see a picture of the standard wheel it seems boring! I do worry that I won't get on with the flat bottom one though..the flat palm on wheel technique spinning it round when I reverse out of the drive probably won't work. I did test drive one with flat bottom wheel, and was surprised how quickly I got used to it

The point about the customisable button made by Keef is a great one. I found the drive select button to be in an awkward place, clearly positioned for the left hand drive cars, and I have just seen someone else agree with that following a test drive today. I plan to use that programme that button for drive select.

Reactions: Keef
My steering wheel was ****** freezing this morning but of course it warms up eventually. The flat bottom is a bit of a pain for seriously fast driving, like putting on quick oppo lock, as it does get a bit in the way but for day to day it's fine for me...but losing that button would be annoying as I have mine set up for drive select like you are suggesting....decisions decisions

So I've caved in and changed my spec one last time! I switched the steering wheel to the flat bottomed one and added the Audi phone box thing as well. I got a phone call today from the dealer and I've been locked in at build week 10, which means an early April delivery which I'm very happy with. My S3 took 5-6months, so less than 3 months is awesome for a brand new car

Update is now that I got this e-mail confirming my build week. Woohoo! I still can't get youraudi to work, but at least things are moving. To be honest I can feel myself getting slightly obsessed already, searching the internet for videos and snippits of information I don't already know about the car. I thought I wouldn't be as bad as when waiting for my S3, but alas :tearsofjoy:

IMG 0821

Reactions: Sandra
Good news you have the build week. Hopefully it goes ahead Joe. It's going to feel like the time is dragging in.

Update is now that I got this e-mail confirming my build week. Woohoo! I still can't get youraudi to work, but at least things are moving. To be honest I can feel myself getting slightly obsessed already, searching the internet for videos and snippits of information I don't already know about the car. I thought I wouldn't be as bad as when waiting for my S3, but alas :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 118186

Great news! Mine is still showing build week 17th April, so much later than yours, desp[ite ordering on the same day! Typical

I too am obsessed with finding new info - i have been studying YouTube, including instructions on how all the toys work!

I guess you won't get delivery in time to avoid the revised VED rates? I did read on another forum that the dealer can register the car once it has its VIN (or might have been chassis?) number - enabling them to possibly register before the 1st April, thus saving you a small fortune...

Ooh that's great info, I will ask the dealership that. I don't think it will get to the uk in time so I had resigned myself to paying the extra, but maybe I might get around it!