New S5 and ipods

Tonye60

Reaction score
Awaiting delivery of my new S5 cab, slight confusion over an iPod. Can you plug it in and control it like you can at the moment with older model Audis. Thanks

The feedback seems to be that they won't work on the new A5s. The iPod software is too old for the cars interface software.

Seems final now that the ipods and Nanos are now discontinued as well.

I got my iPod to initially work ok in my S5 with charging , tracks , album art etc via an apple cable , but every so often it locked up and you had to unplug the iPod and wait for it to discharge. After a while I got fed up with this and now just use a memory stick instead , which does fine.

Trying to figure out how to convert iTunes onto a sd card

The problem is iTunes doesn't embed artwork in the files, it stores it in a separate database that is proprietary to apple devices

You can move the MP3/AACs to an SD card, but you won't get the artwork.

Suggest you use something like Musicbrainz Picard to get the artwork and embed it before you add to the SD card :)

As for copying the files, doesn't it support drag and drop? (I don't use it - I use spotify on Android Auto)

I just dragged my whole iTunes music folders over onto an SD card and it works fine with artwork showing. Some of the newer albums have the larger artwork picture size that Apple allow but I don't think the MMI can handle. Not sure what the limit is on the new MMI in the A4/A5 but on my older A3 it was 800 x 800 max. So i just used Doug's Applescript available for iTunes(might be Mac only) to reduce the larger ones and then copied them back to the SD card and they all display perfectly.

Hope that helps.

I can't drab mine, is there a maximum you can do, I have 7000 old songs in my iTunes

I've only around 2,000 in my iTunes so not sure if there is some limit maybe but I would have thought it'd just be dependent on the size of the SD card. I didn't really drag anything - just copied the entire Music folder under my iTunes Media folder and pasted onto the SD card.

Have to say though with my A4 having CarPlay (unlike my older A3) I now barely use the SD card as i got a discounted Apple Music subscription and get all my music that way these days.