New S4 Order

Thanks for clearing that up. I've just checked my insurer's (Aviva) policy wrt windscreen claims and they also use Autoglass. They have a £75 excess with no affect on NCD, which doesn't seem too bad considering you paid £140. Anyway I hope I'm never in this position but its good to know should the worst happen!!
https://www.aviva.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/faq/answer/3116/

was giving the car a clean at the weekend and my exhaust seem to go black so quickly. gave them a clean with autosol metal polish. but on closer inspection they exhaust are heavily pitted. is this normal?
IMG 5352
IMG 5353

was giving the car a clean at the weekend and my exhaust seem to go black so quickly. gave them a clean with autosol metal polish. but on closer inspection they exhaust are heavily pitted. is this normal?View attachment 158273 View attachment 158274
Yes, it’s terible really and just Audi using substandard materials!

I complained and my local dealer agreed to replace under warranty, however I was very lucky having given them repeat business over the years and as a gesture, others have not been so lucky and any warranty claim declined.

You can’t just replace the tips and means the whole back section needing replaced, well over £1000 of cost!

I’ve got to cleaning my tips every few days but even with that one of the tips has started to pit again after 6 months of the last replacement.

Just something we’ll have to live with or go for a decent aftermarket system but then the concern of warranty!

I complained and my local dealer agreed to replace under warranty, however I was very lucky having given them repeat business over the years and as a gesture, others have not been so lucky and any warranty claim declined.

You can’t just replace the tips and means the whole back section needing replaced, well over £1000 of cost!

I’ve got to cleaning my tips every few days but even with that one of the tips has started to pit again after 6 months of the last replacement.

Just something we’ll have to live with or go for a decent aftermarket system but then the concern of warranty!

might try the warranty claim when the car goes in for its first oil change later in the year. worst case i might be able to convince the wife it would look better with a aftermarket system.... :)

Reactions: Riko0073

It isn't Audi using substandard materials at all. If you read the link to the thread I posted you will find it is just acid eating into the chrome. It is what acid does and with the type of catalytic converters used these days it has made the acid by product increase.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on

It isn't Audi using substandard materials at all. If you read the link to the thread I posted you will find it is just acid eating into the chrome. It is what acid does and with the type of catalytic converters used these days it has made the acid by product increase.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on
Never had this happen on any other cars apart from Audi, my Mk5 Golf Gti tips were as good as new after 6 years as was my Seat Leon FR after a couple of years from new, hence my assumption that Audi chrome tips just aren’t up to the job.

Unfortunately as they are chrome and there is acid, it happens and will always do so. Perhaps they should have left them as mild steel..
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376038
Never happens to Golfs? https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58128
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8488362-Chrome-exhaust-tips-peeling-divots
http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70989
Even black exhausts pit http://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/fl-black-exhaust-tips-pitting_topic11428.html

Car exhausts produce nitric acid vapour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas and it is worse when an engine is cold...

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, maybe the emissions and amount of acid is just getting worse and the chrome plating just not up to the job....I guess a reason to go against my disgust of fake exhaust tips if only to avoid the awful looking pitted chrome tips :pensive:

might try the warranty claim when the car goes in for its first oil change later in the year. worst case i might be able to convince the wife it would look better with a aftermarket system.... :)
Good luck on both accounts mate

Reactions: NevMan and Robbe
Just a short update. car has now done 8k and still enjoying it. Front tyres are wearing quickly, have contis and they seem to be very soft. So thinking I will need new tyres before winter.

Also i was planning on getting the first oil change done at 1 year old, the car was agreeing with me, but recently due to doing more miles it now says it wants the oil changed in another 200 days or 5k miles. not sure whether to leave the oil change to after the winter or do it in November????

Reactions: NevMan and scotty76
Quick update.

Tyre pressure warning went off for the right rear. So checked the pressure and it was down 10psi. Took it to a local tyre place and it’s a non repairable puncture. All tyres are down to 4mm left. So could either get 2 new tyres for the rear or put my winters on early and sell the 3 summer tyres and get 4 new ones next year.

Is it too early for winters? As this is my preferred options. As was going to swap them when the temperature start to drop. Will I burn them up?

As my old tyres are at 4mm would new tyres at 8mm on one axle cause issues with the Quattro?

Wanting to go to mps4s so was hoping to run all the tyres down and replace all 4 at once. So don’t really want to but 2 new contis atm.

What would you do?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Quick update.

Tyre pressure warning went off for the right rear. So checked the pressure and it was down 10psi. Took it to a local tyre place and it’s a non repairable puncture. All tyres are down to 4mm left. So could either get 2 new tyres for the rear or put my winters on early and sell the 3 summer tyres and get 4 new ones next year.

Is it too early for winters? As this is my preferred options. As was going to swap them when the temperature start to drop. Will I burn them up?

As my old tyres are at 4mm would new tyres at 8mm on one axle cause issues with the Quattro?

Wanting to go to mps4s so was hoping to run all the tyres down and replace all 4 at once. So don’t really want to but 2 new contis atm.

What would you do?

Hiya mate. I've had issues with tyres in the past on the B9. Feel ya pain. Had two nails in both front left and right! I ended up buying a budget summer for left rear then when I got the news about my front left as well, I just put the 4 winters on. This was mid October 2017. Cold snap and snow came in a week later.

It's supposed to be nice next couple of weeks but I've had 6 degree mornings this week. The change isn't too far off bro. I'd stick them on personally and just take it easy for a couple of weeks. Temps are coming down. Yes it might be a tad early but lesser of two evils money wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya mate. I've had issues with tyres in the past on the B9. Feel ya pain. Had two nails in both front left and right! I ended up buying a budget summer for left rear then when I got the news about my front left as well, I just put the 4 winters on. This was mid October 2017. Cold snap and snow came in a week later.

It's supposed to be nice next couple of weeks but I've had 6 degree mornings this week. The change isn't too far off bro. I'd stick them on personally and just take it easy for a couple of weeks. Temps are coming down. Yes it might be a tad early but lesser of two evils money wise.

My gut says put the winters on now as well. Just annoying that the screw was on the edge of being repaireable. A few mms further in and it would of been fixable.

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
My gut says put the winters on now as well. Just annoying that the screw was on the edge of being repaireable. A few mms further in and it would of been fixable.

Alllllllllways the Sod's law mate. Just take it easy on the winters. Try not to build up too much heat. Especially this weekend. As it's quite warm apparently.

Reactions: Robbe
Car booked in Sunday for swapping over the tyres. Will be putting the old contis up for sale to help pay for 4 new mps4s next spring.

Did you ever get your exhaust tips sorted?

Not yet. Going to see what Audi say when it
Goes in for its oil change probably in Jan. Have a feeling they will do nothing. So will just have to live with it.

Not yet. Going to see what Audi say when it
Goes in for its oil change probably in Jan. Have a feeling they will do nothing. So will just have to live with it.
Fingers crossed mate.

I reported mine after just 4 months so stood a good chance.

I wipe the tips every couple of days now and holding up really well but shouldn’t be the case really and a pain that they corrode so badly if left even for a few weeks!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, NevMan and Robbe
Fingers crossed mate.

I reported mine after just 4 months so stood a good chance.

I wipe the tips every couple of days now and holding up really well but shouldn’t be the case really and a pain that they corrode so badly if left even for a few weeks!

Yeah mine were terrible but nothing was said when I traded in.

Reactions: Riko0073
As nothing should be.
Try dipping anything chromed into a weak dilution of bleach and see what happens. It is the same with car exhausts..

Last edited:
Nokian are on. Don’t notice any real difference. Maybe a bit quieter then the contis but when I looked at them they are around 3-4mm so where getting to the end of their life. One thing that’s not so good about the Nokian is they have no lip protection.

Have got all 4 contis in the garage and will be up for sale soon. Have no idea what they are worth.

Nokian are on. Don’t notice any real difference. Maybe a bit quieter then the contis but when I looked at them they are around 3-4mm so where getting to the end of their life. One thing that’s not so good about the Nokian is they have no lip protection.

Have got all 4 contis in the garage and will be up for sale soon. Have no idea what they are worth.

You will not see the benefit until the temperature drops and the compound comes into its own. What is good to know though mate is, you're not seeing much difference from the contis. So, they're performing as good as summer tyres in above winter conditions.

Trust me, when that temp drops, they inspire real confidence. I think they do have lip protection but what I've noticed is, this varies massively from each manufacturer. The issued Hankooks I got on my S4 had the best lip protection I've seen. The Dunlops I replaced them with said they had it and it was nowhere near as pronounced as the hankooks.

Reactions: Robbe and NevMan
Continentals are now for sale in the classified section.

small update. First service was done today. was just due an oil change, but as the inspection service was due in a few months I did them both at the same time. Cost me £308 with a 1.4 A5 sportback as a courtesy car, nice car but prefer the S4. with the miles I am doing think all future services will be major ones as the gap between oil change and inspection is cuurently 5,000 miles and I can do that in about 4 months..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and WesT-gefül
Just go on a set period. The breakup of the two is a tactic used to pull more money from customers. I do more oil changes on mine (190ps diesel) for good measure. Especially if you are doing those miles you’re going about it the right way.

Reactions: Robbe
2 years in and car is almost at 20k miles. No issues so far and still very happy. Still not sure what to go to next but might just re-finance the car in 2 years and keep it long term. No other car, that i can afford, is making me want to jump. Maybe a C7 S6. Did speak to one Audi dealer about changing cars and what mine was worth and got a valuation of £25k!!! Almost fell off my chair.

Reactions: cuke2u
Nope. Just said it was normal wear and tear. Given up trying to keep them clean. Probably wait until the warranty is up and just get a miltek exhaust.

The short version is that i was sold a car with a fault in the gearbox, that the dealer knew about but never told me, that voided the warranty so Audi would not replace the gearbox so am getting all my money back from the dealer..

Which dealership out of interest. Seems to be seriously lacking in integrity.

Nope. Just said it was normal wear and tear. Given up trying to keep them clean. Probably wait until the warranty is up and just get a miltek exhaust.

No need to wait unless your dealer is really fussy about things like that. My car went in a couple times for warranty work with a full milltek system in with no issues.

Reactions: NevMan and cuke2u
No need to wait unless your dealer is really fussy about things like that. My car went in a couple times for warranty work with a full milltek system in with no issues.

It’s more about convincing the wife and having the funds. It will happen just might take a while.

It’s more about convincing the wife and having the funds. It will happen just might take a while.

Hahaha, that’s the harder part!

Also another with a Milltek and had warranty work done. Only thing that happened was two of the tech guys wanting me to rag it when I pulled out on to the main road!! Took my tuning box off though of course.

Reactions: cuke2u and NevMan