New S4 Avant B9

If you hold down the down shift paddle, the car will go into the lowest possible gear. You don’t have to shift sequentially through the gears. So basically you can go from 6th to 2nd straight away rather than cycling gears. Similar to kick down.

Also if you hold the up shift paddle, the car will revert back into the S or D drive mode instead of Manual (M).

Nice one. Going to save this in my tips

Reactions: oliquattro
@oliquattro - Thank you so much. I had experienced some "weird" shifting back to D before the 6 seconds, now I get it!

Yes, not on my A4 3.0Tdi (B8)

You also have a B9 S4 and B8 3.0tdi.

Man of impeccable taste!

I gotta say that my stage 2 B8 3.0tdi is as quick as the S4. Not as refined but yeah very quick! Torque machine!

20171130 19Tdi b
You also have a B9 S4 and B8 3.0tdi.

I gotta say that my stage 2 B8 3.0tdi is as quick as the S4. Not as refined but yeah very quick! Torque machine!

Had one B8 Allroad 2011 MY for 7 years, traded it for the S4 Avant!

Haha nice!! Great cars! Driven all over Europe in mine. It just doesn’t stop working.

Quick question regarding the auto folding mirrors on the S4.

Are they supposed to tilt down when you reverse? I thought they did when I first bought the car but not so sure. Been through the car menu but couldn’t see any auto-tilting options for reverse.

I’ve definitely got the auto-folding mirrors though.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Haha nice!! Great cars! Driven all over Europe in mine. It just doesn’t stop working.

Are they supposed to tilt down when you reverse? I thought they did when I first bought the car but not so sure. Been through the car menu but couldn’t see any auto-tilting options for reverse.

They should if you have the folding ones. You have to put the wingmirror adjustment knob to the cub side mirror when you put it in reverse and position it, then it'll go back to that position next time. But you do have to make sure it's in that position, if it's in the middle the mirror won't dip.

Reactions: NevMan, oliquattro, cuke2u and 1 other person
Make sure that the mirror switch is turned to the passengers mirror first before you select reverse. Then when you do select reverse you can then adjust the position of the mirror. Once you've done this take it out of reverse and it should return to normal. Then all you have to do is keep the mirror switch set to the passengers one and it should dip when you again select reverse.

Reactions: NevMan, oliquattro, Daggerit and 1 other person
Make sure that the mirror switch is turned to the passengers mirror first before you select reverse. Then when you do select reverse you can then adjust the position of the mirror. Once you've done this take it out of reverse and it should return to normal. Then all you have to do is keep the mirror switch set to the passengers one and it should dip when you again select reverse.
Didn't realise you could adjust it as well. Does it remember the position or do you need to do it every time? I found the default position was not angled down enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Once adjusted it remembers the position when you come out of reverse and go back in..

Reactions: NevMan, oliquattro and Daggerit

Only if the interior switch is set to passenger side and you adjust to position the first time you do it. Easy really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and oliquattro
Only if the interior switch is set to passenger side and you adjust to position the first time you do it. Easy really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome!! That’s what I was doing wrong!! Thanks a lot!

Reactions: NevMan
I think you also need seat memory don't you? Mine didn't work till I added a seat memory controller for the drivers seat.

Nope, I have only the folding mirrors and the tilt in reverse with the passengers mirror works fine..

Reactions: Daggerit
Doesn't surprise me that my car was being awkward then :)

Reactions: cuke2u
I don’t have memory seats and the passenger side trick worked, thanks again

Reactions: cuke2u
Still no remap for MG1 ECU :(

Keep asking but no success yet

Still no remap for MG1 ECU :(

Keep asking but no success yet
Surely it will never happen certainly after all this time. Worry for future S and RSs of course which presumably also have the ecu locked down.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

OK. B9 Audi S4 on lease:

£8000 deposit. £460 a month over 36 months. That’s £682 a month incl the deposit.

I use around £300 in fuel a month.

That’s £982 a month to run my B9 Audi S4. That’s how much I actually pay, not some internet deal. Also don’t forget the £500 a year road tax.

I also have to pay for oil and servicing (£250 a year?). Let’s call it £20 a month to be conservative. She drinks oil.

B9 S4 Avant is £1043 all-in every month minimum.

A 100grand Tesla Model S P100D is £1000 a month and I don’t have to pay anything for the electricity. I get free charging. Pay 6 months up front, that’s it. No service charges.

So basically works out the same each month.

What it basically demonstrates is that the costs associated with running a performance petrol car are ridiculous.

Even if you have to pay for electricity in a Tesla, 10,000 miles costs about £450 a year. There are loads of free places to top up.

When my lease deal is up in December I’m definitely going full electric. I don’t see how petrol can even come close in performance.

I’m not trying to cause an argument. The Tesla is simply unbelievable power delivery it can’t be refuted.

I’ll enjoy the sound of my V6 for a few more months and also count down the days. :)

Sounds like you got stuffed with how much they're charging you for your S4 to be honest...

That aside, I think that you may have missed off a few things. Annual servicing is about twice what the S4 is (~£5-600), insurance is about double (~£8-900 a year for the average man) and that you will also still have to pay £320 VED after the first year. So adding the extra £250 for servicing, £400 for insurance and the VED you missed off onto your monthly number you're looking at more like £1080 a month for the Tesla - and that's if you get the 'under the table' deal otherwise it'll be significantly more than that. So it's still more than the S4.

Yes, you say it's faster, but if you're actually using that performance all the time you'll then have to factor in additional tyres which you've not taken into account. I imagine they'll be in the region of £180-250 each depending on whether they're specially made for the car or not (I don't know if they are).

Not disagreeing that electric cars are very impressive in terms of performance, just making sure that you look at all the costs because I've been trying to get into an electric car for a while now and after doing the sums I've not found a single one that is worthwhile versus it's petrol counterparts.

OK. B9 Audi S4 on lease:

£8000 deposit. £460 a month over 36 months. That’s £682 a month incl the deposit.

That’s £982 a month to run my B9 Audi S4. That’s how much I actually pay, not some internet deal. Also don’t forget the £500 a year road tax.

I also have to pay for oil and servicing (£250 a year?). Let’s call it £20 a month to be conservative. She drinks oil.

A 100grand Tesla Model S P100D is £1000 a month and I don’t have to pay anything for the electricity. I get free charging. Pay 6 months up front, that’s it. No service charges.

What it basically demonstrates is that the costs associated with running a performance petrol car are ridiculous.

Even if you have to pay for electricity in a Tesla, 10,000 miles costs about £450 a year. There are loads of free places to top up.

When my lease deal is up in December I’m definitely going full electric. I don’t see how petrol can even come close in performance.

I’m not trying to cause an argument. The Tesla is simply unbelievable power delivery it can’t be refuted.

I’ll enjoy the sound of my V6 for a few more months and also count down the days. :)

Jeez mate, that is one expensive S4 lease. A mate of mine has one on 3 year lease, £3k deposit and pays £400p/m

Also, you talk about road tax, but that is included with leasing, so not sure what you mean here.

In relation to your above comments about a £100k car, I would ****** hope it is good and exciting etc etc. Bit like a Ferrari, lambo or Porsche etc etc would be.

OK. B9 Audi S4 on lease:

Jeez mate, that is one expensive S4 lease. A mate of mine has one on 3 year lease, £3k deposit and pays £400p/m

Also, you talk about road tax, but that is included with leasing, so not sure what you mean here.

In relation to your above comments about a £100k car, I would ****** hope it is good and exciting etc etc. Bit like a Ferrari, lambo or Porsche etc etc would be.

I'm 3k deposit 280 a month haha, and that's with about £50 a month in extras! But I'd take a p100d in a heart beat

Suppose it depends on the spec and when you purchased it. I could have got it for £360 a month with not much added.

I could have done a longer deal for cheaper but I want to give the car back. Audi offered me a second hand S4 for the same as what I’m paying now. Lease deals go up and down.

My lease deal was way cheaper than what Audi were offering at the time. I went to Audi the other day for a laugh, tried telling my GF she needs to spend 16K deposit and £1000 a month on a Q5? I just laughed.

I don’t think you can even buy an S4 at the moment because of the emissions. It’s been off the Audi website for months. Pretty irrelevant car now and you can’t remap yet.

Lease deals are absolutely terrible at the moment.

Anyway the Tesla is ballistic fast compared to my S4 it’s not even in the same league. And yeah I imagine the 285 tyres are expensive. The servicing is included in that lease deal. Thanks for info about insurance I’ll check how much it goes up.

If you haven’t driven one just do it. The P100D feels McLaren fast. Never felt anything like it.

Last edited:
Suppose it depends on the spec and when you purchased it. I could have got it for £360 a month with not much added.

I could have done a longer deal for cheaper but I want to give the car back. Audi offered me a second hand S4 for the same as what I’m paying now. Lease deals go up and down.

My lease deal was way cheaper than what Audi were offering at the time. I went to Audi the other day for a laugh, tried telling my GF she needs to spend 16K deposit and £1000 a month on a Q5? I just laughed.

I don’t think you can even buy an S4 at the moment because of the emissions. It’s been off the Audi website for months. Pretty irrelevant car now and you can’t remap yet.

Lease deals are absolutely terrible at the moment.

Anyway the Tesla is ballistic fast compared to my S4 it’s not even in the same league. And yeah I imagine the 285 tyres are expensive. The servicing is included in that lease deal. Thanks for info about insurance I’ll check how much it goes up.

If you haven’t driven one just do it. The P100D feels McLaren fast. Never felt anything like it.

You need to find better places to get quotes. My Q5 was £6k deposit and costs under £350 p/m.

My colleagues S4 is not quite as loaded as yours, but does have Tech Pack, black pack, sports diff, SS seats amongst other things.

On the WLTP, yes you cannot get S4 at the mo. Another mate of mine got a cracking 18% discount through DTD in June last year, but gave up waiting in Jan and ordered and received a Merc GLC

The end of the day, all choice which is why there are so many models, types etc.

I wanted to hate it guys.

I wanted to come back and say Tesla was sh*te.

I couldn’t even sleep last night. Mind blowing performance.

I don’t need it, I ****** want it!!

Your only talking about the performance though - what about the rest of the car? You wont be able to use that performance for 95% of the time.
That was also a terrible deal you accepted on that S4. My S5 lease is 412 a month with 10k per annum with pan roof, HUD, flat wheel, folding mirrors, extended LED, daytona grey, B&O. Not ground breaking but decent in comparison

oliquattro wrote"I use around £300 in fuel a month. " Does that equate to your 10k a year? This might be why the lease is so high..

oliquattro wrote"I use around £300 in fuel a month. " Does that equate to your 10k a year? This might be why the lease is so high..

Even if 10k miles, given the deposit monthlies should still be nowhere near what is quoted by @oliquattro

It was still cheaper than what Audi were offering at the time. Lease deals are fluid. They come and go and change every day. Like I said, you can’t even get a new S4 now. Emissions too high and removed from Audi website.

Anyway £50 a month, £100 a month difference for a better deal? I’m not bothered and it’s missing the point entirely. Even if I paid half I’d still be saying the Tesla is ****** brilliant.

Still not sold on the performance of the S4. Just my opinion, it really doesn’t excite me anywhere near the way the Tesla did. What’s wrong with that?

Test drive P100D instantly sold I’m sorry

An Audi A4 Avant 40TDI Black is:

£458 a month
£2,753 deposit

36 months
10,000 miles
That’s from the Audi website right now.
Deals change every day.

And that’s the diesel. You can’t even spec an S4 any more.

Mate, you are misreading or misinterpreting, not upsetting at all

I wasn’t talking about you haha

It’s all good. I’m perhaps slightly trolling people but gotta be said what a weapon that Tesla is.

Has anybody had a coolant temperature warning on the B9 S4?

Driving for about 5 minutes today and red warning light came on, coolant temperature too high, told me to pull over and let the car cool down.

Set off and it keeps doing it. Temperature is usually set at 90c but it’s gone way over. Fans blowing like crazy and I can hear a ticking or clicking noise from behind the dash. (Water pump failure?)

Managed to limp the car home.

Audi pre sense also randomly f*cking slammed the brakes on for absolutely no reason while going round a bend. It’s so dangerous.

Car covered under warranty but I honestly feel like giving it back and buying a Tesla Model 3 Performance instead.

I’m getting ghost errors weekly; pressure sensors for tyres (even though no puncture), brake levels (even though it’s all been reset with brand new pads and sensors), pre sense slamming brakes on for no reason (scaring the **** out of everybody in the car).

Imagine owning one of these cars second hand lolololol

Also can we all spare a moment of silence for the death of the S4. The new S4 is a diesel. A diesel S4. :wtf:

Last edited:
lol so nobody has experienced my coolant problem and overheating car?

Still buying a Tesla Model 3 Performance :)

Model 3 easily beats an M3 round a track, pretty sure my S4 wouldn’t do that ;)

Last edited:
Your mad but enjoy.

Thanks. I will let you know how terrible the interior is. :) I’ve placed a deposit.

What a time to be alive boys.

Model 3 beats an M3 ON A TRACK and Audi respond with a diesel S4.

Great stuff.

Thanks. I will let you know how terrible the interior is. :) I’ve placed a deposit.

Great stuff.

How many people actually track their cars?

Great stuff.
You would be a bit faster but that M3 driver will be grinning ear to ear and having a pretty involving driving experience. You wont be. He will also still be flying around the track whilst you limp into a gravel trap with no charge left. You will also have to top up your charge when arriving at the track (assuming they have a charger) and then either just do a few laps so you have charge to get home or recharge and wait around having said coffee before travelling home. Pros and cons my friend!

Reactions: NevMan, Philio and Terminator x

Great stuff.
Sorry but no emotion in those leccy cars, each to their own but not for me.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Philio and Simonwhite2000
700nm torque which is 200nm more than the petrol, barely less power and impressive economy, plus 0 60 times probably lower than the stats so I don't see what's not to like.

I love diesel. It’s effortless. My 10 year old A4 is absolutely brilliant I am driving it right now as the S4 is dead. It’s done 130,000 miles never had to spend a penny on it apart from performance upgrades.

What I can’t stand is this bullsh*t German petrol vs diesel war for the past 10 years. One minute diesel is killing everyone, next minute petrol S4 is banned under EU regulations. You can not buy a new petrol S4 any more.

Don’t take this as diesel hate. I have driven various diesel cars for 15 years they’re awesome.

But when you’re using almost double the amount of petrol to go pretty much the same speed as a good diesel, you’ve got to ask yourself just how “clean” petrol is.

The S4 should be petrol though sorry just my opinion. The diesel should be left for the 3.0tdi sleeper and the all road.

And yeah for a diesel they sound good. I like the induction noise and hum at 1700 revs.

I love diesel. It’s effortless. My 10 year old A4 is absolutely brilliant I am driving it right now as the S4 is dead. It’s done 130,000 miles never had to spend a penny on it apart from performance upgrades.

What I can’t stand is this bullsh*t German petrol vs diesel war for the past 10 years. One minute diesel is killing everyone, next minute petrol S4 is banned under EU regulations. You can not buy a new petrol S4 any more.

Don’t take this as diesel hate. I have driven various diesel cars for 15 years they’re awesome.

But when you’re using almost double the amount of petrol to go pretty much the same speed as a good diesel, you’ve got to ask yourself just how “clean” petrol is.

The S4 should be petrol though sorry just my opinion. The diesel should be left for the 3.0tdi sleeper and the all road.

And yeah for a diesel they sound good. I like the induction noise and hum at 1700 revs.

That's a very good point.

It's really annoying how 10 odd years ago the government was pushing diesels on us but then since vag gate it all went backward.

The new bosch tech for diesel engines does sound very interesting though. Supposedly very low to near zero carbon emissions.

I agree that they should have kept the s4 petrol, as the diesels suit the larger cars and should have atleast kept the petrol as an option, but perhaps they didn't as they know the diesel would match the petrol and beat it on economy.

What v6 tdi do you have? How much does it have in stock form and what modifications have u done?

How does it compare to the s4 have you had them line up on a drag or mid range race?