New S3??

Jonnys07

Jon Saunders
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, its my first thread so would firstly like to say hello to everyone.

Secondly, I'm looking to change my Anniversary Golf for an S3, preferrably 2002 ish. I'm not really familiar with the S3 at all but was just hoping to gain some info and a find a few points look out for when buying one etc.

Im setting a budget of £8000 but me being me will probably spend more, although i'm looking at a remap aswell plus any more mods you'll no doubt advise me to get, which i'd obviously have to budget for aswell.

So what are they like to drive?The 4WD system really appeals to me plus the 225bhp (possibly 260-270 after remap)against the 180 I have at the minute.

Any info you could give me would be great and thanks in advance.

Cheers, Jon

hi Jon,
im from a mk4 background all be it 1.8t 239bhp. the s3 is a good car but a little under power in my opinion, mine is mapped and pulls really well but i would not say it was much faster than the mk4 apart from off the mark.
if you want it to drive and corner right you wil need to spend a bit of cash ie,
arb's
poss uprated haldex,
brakes are not great either.
map.
but saying all that none of this needs doing straight off so if your into modding then take your time and have fun spending your money.
as for mk4 against s3, the s3 is a grown up golf and once it running how you like then a very rewarding car.
couple of things worth saying, dont look at things like 0 to 60 times as you need grab 3rd to hit 60 so it looks poor on paper but in real life its a fairly quick car. also it may pay to buy a modded one and save the hit on doing it your self.
anyway, welcome to the forum:icon_thumright:

i sold my s3 at xmas to get a tdi golf. i have the 150 gt gti which is quite a good car but im looking at changing back to an s3 now an paying the extra £120-£150 per month to run it.

210 or 225 dosent matter, just go for facelift which i think is 2001 or late 2000 and full history and cambelt changed at 4yrs/60k miles

steebo888 said:
i sold my s3 at xmas to get a tdi golf. i have the 150 gt gti which is quite a good car but im looking at changing back to an s3 now an paying the extra £120-£150 per month to run it.

I did the switch but in reverse and haven't looked back since! Apart from spending half your life and wage with Shell. No wonder they made so much profit last year!

To be honest, now there's only one thing from stopping me from buying one. I have an Anniversary GTi atm. it's the petrol version and had 24000 miles on it after 5 years so very low mileage. It now has just under 31000 and is 6 years old at the end of this year. Looking on the trader, I stand to lose very little of the high price I paid for it last summer. If I set a budget of 9k ish for an S3, after a year or so, is it still going to be worth the majority of this?

I do understand it's very very rare to make money on a car and you will nearly always lose, but I have a nice car and it seems to be a bit strange to throw a car which will hold its value very well away for a car that I seem to be craving for but could stand to lose quite a bit in the long run!!

What's everyone's views on this? I'm stumped!!

Jon

Jonnys07 said:
To be honest, now there's only one thing from stopping me from buying one. I have an Anniversary GTi atm. it's the petrol version and had 24000 miles on it after 5 years so very low mileage. It now has just under 31000 and is 6 years old at the end of this year. Looking on the trader, I stand to lose very little of the high price I paid for it last summer. If I set a budget of 9k ish for an S3, after a year or so, is it still going to be worth the majority of this?

I do understand it's very very rare to make money on a car and you will nearly always lose, but I have a nice car and it seems to be a bit strange to throw a car which will hold its value very well away for a car that I seem to be craving for but could stand to lose quite a bit in the long run!!

What's everyone's views on this? I'm stumped!!

Jon

i would say even with low miles you will probably still loose a grand, unless you buy from an auction then you might break even on it

i think thats the good thing with s3's. even with stupidly high milege they still sell for quite abit so if u werent going to do loads n loads of milege n u look to sell in a yr or 2 ul still get the majority back.

S3 Rav said:
i think thats the good thing with s3's. even with stupidly high milege they still sell for quite abit so if u werent going to do loads n loads of milege n u look to sell in a yr or 2 ul still get the majority back.

yer im possibly off to see one this weekend

98k 2002 225 with full leather for 9k

im not too bothered about the high mileage as long as it drives well, looks like its been looked after and has full history with all the required stuff like cambelt and haldex done

full service history and cambelt would be a must on my list of things to look for. pardon my ignorance but what's haldex?is it an audi thing or do other cars have it/one?and what cost am I looking for for the cambelt and/or haldex to be done?

Jon

I'm coming from the 8p S3 , but Haldex is the type of 4wd it has , from what i know the Haldex ( 4wd drivetrine ) has a service every 40k, new oil and filter. IIRC

Sorry 8l boys if i'm wrong

p

phantom said:
I'm coming from the 8p S3 , but Haldex is the type of 4wd it has , from what i know the Haldex ( 4wd drivetrine ) has a service every 40k, new oil and filter. IIRC

Sorry 8l boys if i'm wrong

p

correct but 20k for haldex oil change and 40k for haldex filter change