New S3 Test drive

Looking at those sprint blue pics shows just how much of a let down those wheels are. Absolutely sh*te IMO for a near 30k 'flagship car'. Dont you think they take the whole look away from the car?

I hope the folks that have ordered one spec up different wheels, I know I would.

Stick on RS6s which are available and it'll just look like your S-Line with a few extra bita..

And no offence, but after spending that money I wouldn't want it to look like a 1.6 A3. As a result, IMO, sprint blue and S3 specific wheels are a must.

Irish said:
Stick on RS6s which are available and it'll just look like your S-Line with a few extra bita..

And no offence, but after spending that money I wouldn't want it to look like a 1.6 A3. As a result, IMO, sprint blue and S3 specific wheels are a must.

That's my point man, the 'S3 Specific' wheels should have been a lot better than they are IMO. Audi were always going to create this problem by allowing the S-Line to have 18" RS6s as standard - a hard act to follow, and difficult to make the S3 stand out from the rest of the range given the wheels and bodykit the S-Line has.

You've just ordered one, so I'm sure you are very happy with it - just my 2p worth........

If it only had the wide arches of the last model, but it does look the dogs ones from the front - the grill/bumper is very mean!

Sprint blue is THE colour to have though, glad they saved something for it :thumbsup:

C_Audiboy said:
That's my point man, the 'S3 Specific' wheels should have been a lot better than they are IMO. Audi were always going to create this problem by allowing the S-Line to have 18" RS6s as standard - a hard act to follow, and difficult to make the S3 stand out from the rest of the range given the wheels and bodykit the S-Line has.

You've just ordered one, so I'm sure you are very happy with it - just my 2p worth........

If it only had the wide arches of the last model, but it does look the dogs ones from the front - the grill/bumper is very mean!

Sprint blue is THE colour to have though, glad they saved something for it :thumbsup:

I have pretty much the same exact opinion.

If it had bigger/better wheel options, bigger rear arches and some twin sided exhausts going on then it'd be a lot more enticing looks wise.

IMO it looks bland, **** wheels, no arches and it's very expensive. Not to mention it's only a 4 pot. I can just think of better ways to spend £30k.

I must admit it does look good from some angles in blue, but I've not been impressed with any other color.

Finally managed to get time for a test drive, all I can say is the car is fantastic. I've mainly had Imprezas over the last few years and can say the S3 is head and shoulders above it in terms ofa package, and not too shabby on the performance front either.

Not wanting to start another thread on new S3 test drives, hope you don't mind me adding my comments here.

Went to Links Audi in Macclesfield yesterday afternoon. Was given the keys, and told bring it back when you are ready. Which was nice.

We trundled out of the dealership, into a 30 zone which later on turns into national speed limit. So it was a 30mph, 3rd gear test...reached the national speed limit sign and planted my right foot. Christ! I was not expecting what was about to happen...after a short pause...perhaps a bit more lag than my current S3...the turbo burst into life, with a whistle of the like I have never experienced before! "Listen to that", I shouted to the missus! The whistle was accompanied by a great induction noise, and as we changed up into 4th, I was greated with an unexpected "rally-style" chirp as the wastegate and DV did their stuff. I was shocked. I was not expecting such fierce delivery and noise from the turbo.

It sounded so good, even the missus put her window down to hear more of it! Now that is saying something.

The car is a real wolf-in-sheeps-clothing. At town speeds, the car is quiet, no exhuast note (which is a shame). In fact the engine sounds a bit naf at town speeds, like a small town car sound. And reving the car in 1st and 2nd, the car sounds agricultural. BUT...get passed about 3000 rpm and it changes. It turns into something else. Yes its not an orchestra like a 3.2 v6 or a 3.2 Boxster engine...but its got a mix of sounds to enjoy.

So after our blast down the single track A-road and a dual-carriageway. I decided to head to an all time favourite road of the old Audi-sport.net Buxton Meets that I used to organise....the Cat and Fiddle. It leads from Macclesfield to Buxton. A notorious and some would say "dangerous" road - I say those folk can't drive. But anyway...

Once you get the car on a twisty road like this, it was really enjoyable. The power, the noise. You can really progress from bend to bend. It really hurtles you forward. All the time you are listening to the whistle, induction and the wastegate/DV chirps. Its was really good.

The car's chassis and bodyshell (like all the A3 8P's) is stiffer than 8L's, and that is noticeable when comparing this S3 with my 8L S3. I think there is less bodyroll too. So I think the handling is an improvement over the 8L S3. The roads were dry so I wasn't able to see how adjustable it was on the throttle. But I think it could be hit-and-miss in terms of adjustability...what if that big surge from the turbo kicks in as you are trying to smoothly adjust the power?

The standard seats IMO grip your body better than the old recaros. There seemed to be more shoulder grip and I didn't slide around on the leather as much. The driving position was spot on - you are not perched on top of the seat like in the old recaros. The steering wheel was nice and chunky and felt good to hold with the dimpled leather.

The steering was better than I was expecting to be honest. It was well weighted and direct once you were "on it". There is next to no feedback though - you don't get a feeling of how much grip the front wheels have. Also, to the left and right of dead-centre, it has a spongy feel. Like I say, once you are in the zone, and the assistance has put the weighting up - its better, BUT still no feedback.

Brakes. Like all 8P's you have massive amount of servo assistance. You touch the pedal slightly and slam, your heads almost in the windscreen. But once you get used to that...I got the feeling the brakes weren't really doing as much as what the intial servo assistance made you think they could do. So once you've got past the servo-assitance jab, the braking was then more up to you. But there was no feel from them, they didn't give me confidence anyway. So I think Audi have failed again here with the brakes - prefering to slap on an S3 badge on the brakes, rather than supplying a proper Brembo kit. BUT...it was a new car (196 miles), so maybe the brakes haven't bedded in yet.

Lag. I would say yes, there is more lag than the 8L S3. In the 30mph, 3rd gear test, the lag was less noticeable. Where I noticed the most lag, was on the full throttle, change gear, full throttle situations. It was if the DV was not reacting quick enough. I believe that on 2.0TFSI cars the DV is more directly controlled by the ECU than on say the 1.8T of old. So the lag is a surprise, and a bit disappointing.

Yep styling is far to understated IMO. A few people turned heads and wondered what it was. But it just blends into the A3 S-line crowd, no knock-out factor. The styling has grown on me, and this black example looked good on the move - better than what it looks at stand-still.

If I get one, the first thing I will buy is a remap, second 19" wheels and 10mm spacers, and 3rd maybe a performance exhaust, because it just doesn't sound sporty at low speeds.

Overall, it is a great car, handles well, and totally exhilarating when you get that turbo working.

AL

Wow good post.

I on the other hand had a sprint blue one for the day, spent the first hour worried i had been clocked for speeding, then the sky opened and I was wading around with ducks for the rest of the day!

I found the new S3 able to slip round corners in a far more agile way then my current S3, so much so that I had a full ‘4 wheel slide with ESP moment’ on the way out of the dealers trying to replicate the new S3's line on the way home.

I was sold the minute I handed the keys back. It’s a shame that I don't like the bog standard seats (they just don’t agree with me) and it looks like I'll have to wait until June for the bucket seats (still can't get a grip on why that is). My current S3 is in the dealers tonight, as it looks like a possible cam belt change, boo hoo sniff. On top of 2 engine management sensor too! snif snif. sob. But its going to be fun when the new one arrives so that keeps me perked up (a little).

I have decided to go all out on the extra's this time and for me, the money is well spent, given the enjoyment my current s3 has been for the last 5 years. I just whish there were flared arches, but then again I’ll be sat in bucket seats with a funky lat steering wheel zooming around corners when the world is sliding round corners trying to keep up! Great.

I was also surprised that you didn't mention the haldex in your review. I think that it is very noticeably more active this time as getting the rear end to step out (in a controlled way) is far easier in the new S3 than my current one. I'd be interested to know your thoughts...

...anyway good read, enjoyable and very much matched my experiences of the car.

stevec said:
It’s a shame that I don't like the bog standard seats (they just don’t agree with me) and it looks like I'll have to wait until June for the bucket seats (still can't get a grip on why that is).
Why don't you get on with the seats? I'm interested to hear given my own well-documented problems with the S-Line seats!

Also, don't you think it's a lot of money (and an unduly long wait) for the Recaro seats given 1. abysmal rear seat access 2. lack of side impact airbag 3. reported problems with leather side bolsters on similar RS4 seats?

SteveC,

Thanks for the kind comments and reminding me about the Haldex. I think I didn't mention it because I didn't really notice it. I think we may have driving in different road conditions. The roads I were on were bone dry, so grip was at its maximum.

The only bit of damp road was on a left-hand twisty S-bend exit from a roundabout. With the turbo in its zone, the throttle response was excellent, and going through the bends there wasn't an inch of slide. I've done the same thing in my S3 in the past and thinking about it, and grip does disappear and a 4 wheel drift occurs. But in the new S3, it was just planted. So maybe the boundries have moved up a notch.

On driving my car to work this morning, just normal town speeds. One thing I would say about the 8L that is better, is the smoothness of the power delivery and the smoothness of the gearbox & clutch action. Maybe its because its my car and I have been driving it for 4.5 yrs, but initial feeling is its smoother than the new one.

Whilst we were at Links, we sat in an RS4 to check out the bucket seats. If we get the new S3, those are a must for us. And if the leather splits...we've got 3 years warranty fall back on. My questions to the salesman was: what is the rear seats leather like if you specify buckets for the front? If its dimpled it will look stupid. He couldn't answer the question. But he also said, cars ordered now with buckets you are looking at April onwards delivery.

I enjoyed the new S3. But I'm still undecided about it. Can I live with the naf sounded engine at low speeds? Can I live with the on-off turbo delivery? Because the styling is a little low key and the wheels are crap, do I really want to spend a good 1K+ on 19" wheels and spacers to get the car looking how it should? Am I just getting the "same" car as I have now, but slightly more up-to-date in terms of dynamics and power? (meaning I've not moved on or progressed). Plus its just not quiet as special as the 8L was.

Got some thinking to do.

AL

I took a test drive last week also, had already ordered mine so it was a chance to ensure I hadn't made a mistake. Over the last six years I've had 3 Imprezas and an Evo, so was looking for something that was a little more understated but ticked more boxes in terms of performance vs economy, comfort vs ability etc.

I can only say I got out of the car thinking it was the best all round packaged car I had ever driven. Seriously it is amazingly capable and comfortable. I'm done with the big rear wing and so am more than happy with the understated looks.

Anyone who is unsure whether it is "special" just go and take one out.

AL_B said:
And if the leather splits...we've got 3 years warranty fall back on.

You sure ?
There have been several threads in the past few weeks complaining about iffy leather on S-line seats.
The dealers concerned have all tried to back out of claims,saying it's "wear and tear".

ahhh, thanks for pointing that out Bowfer. I'd better be wary then.

Just a note about my review. I have been reading other test drive reviews on other web-sites e.g. tyresmoke, and as you can expect opinions really do differ.

My comments are really how the car felt to me - and I've given an honest "this is how it felt" account. I recommend that everyone should go out and have a drive of one. It was fun.

For example: some people think the turbo delivery is smooth and the brakes progressive - which is completely different to what I have said...so, you really have got to drive one to make your mind up.

Cheers

AL

Spook said:
Why don't you get on with the seats? I'm interested to hear given my own well-documented problems with the S-Line seats!

Also, don't you think it's a lot of money (and an unduly long wait) for the Recaro seats given 1. abysmal rear seat access 2. lack of side impact airbag 3. reported problems with leather side bolsters on similar RS4 seats?

I do think it’s a lot of money for the seats. I have actually asked the dealer to speak to Quattro gmbh and quote me for the standard RS4 sports seats (not buckets) in silver leather as that was what I wanted this time round, having seen a black S3 with the Recaros in the same colour at the time I specified my black/blue alcantara leather interior 5 years ago.

I'll wait to see their response this week. If its under £3k then I’ll probably go for it.

I am massively disappointed with the seats, above all else about the car. I just can’t understand the 'S' styling across the Audi range at the moment, as I sat in a S8 on Saturday and its got the same seats as the S3, yet the S6 has very nice sports seats (super in fact), the S4 has Recaros, the RS4 has heavily bolstered, but flat backed sports seats, (and the option of the buckets). It really is mad, totally mad.

My problem with the seats is due to my size and proportions. I am 6' 1" but have long thighs and a long back. The S-line and S3 seats cause my shoulders to be pushed out a couple of mm (not much) but after 2 hours in the new S3 I wanted out! This is in stark contrast to the current S3 where I have done 4 hour drives and got out totally refreshed.

I had not seen your well-documented issues (apologies) as I was not looking at the new A3 until the S3 arrived. Now its here, Audi need to look at what they did for the old S3, in how they delivered the new S3 as a number of daft ideas are missing from launch, in my case, Recaro seats is a massive one.

Well I was considering a TT before I saw and drive the demo S3 in Black. Placed an order and the S3 should arrive in March.

The TT 2.0T is not as good as the S3 and has no quattro, the 3.2 is just an old design engine, not even TSI, probably to be replaced/upgraded in the near future. Also those back seats in the TT are ridiculous as is the waiting lists, over 6-8 months. That put me off!

Drove the S3 an was really surprised about the brakes and also good feedback of the car. Quite happy with my choice. A friend of mine as the new TT 2.0T for over two months now and I drove it several times so for me it was a good comparison and I enjoyed the S3 more... Another thing I like about it is that it is discreet... I'm thinking of putting a TDI badge on it. I'm sure some would not sleep at night!!!

Pedro

i wish the salesman mentioned the s3 when i bought mine reckon it would look awesome in white

Not sure if people are still reading / adding to this post but i have managed to get the old A3 written off by some old donut who decided to turn right across a 40 limit road not realising there was traffic i.e me on the inside left lane, well he came off worse for wear and so did the front of my car and a local indian takeaway. Absolute nightmare though being withiut a motor even for a few days!! but got a new hire car to use for months until this gets sorted out..........great.

Anyway test drove the S3 today at chester and was quite disappointed - the drive was raw although lively and yes it sounds good. But its like a modified boy racer mobile and feels that it has been majorly rushed considering it is the flagship model.
My remapped 2.0t wasnt far off the pace, although the s3 does keep pulling through til 7k rpm. It just feels crude and pikey. But maybe thats what audi were looking to do - i dont know.

But for the price with same spec its a shade under 30k, and for that money or less there are much more options out there imo. Glad i test drove as before that i was convinced it would be class.......shows what a biased view can do!!

Well I don't know about the others but my view is far from biased has I (fortunately) had the chance to spend lots of time with either a new TT or the new S3. Also my decision was not based on price as I've spec both a new TT 3.2 and an S3 and there was only £500 pounds difference in both. For me it was the drive and delivery which in this particularly case the S3 suited me better than the TT.

The looks I liked booth, for different reasons, and being more practical the S3 seems the best choice for me. So I placed an order!

There are a lot of good cars for 30K around there but each one to its own. My choice does not suit everyone and vice versa and that is fine. Depends what you are looking for in a car... It's like buying a shirt! Similar prices, different colours and patterns... different choices..

There will be lot of people who won't even think of an S3 and just love the driving of the TT or others for the matter and there is nothing wrong with that.

In this matter there isn't right or wrong! That's the way I see it!

Drive safely
Pedro

Good point about the 3.2 engine, not even FSI. I think an updated version will come along soon too.

I test drove a Boxster S Anniversary edition today 04 plate. Went and had another look round the new S3 too. God, just don't know what I want. Two completely different cars.

But in the process of driving round to these different dealerships in the North West...I still love my S3. For all the little niggles its had, it still goes some, and is so nice to drive.

AL

AL_B said:
I still love my S3. For all the little niggles its had, it still goes some, and is so nice to drive.

AL

I have the same problem too :-( (Except my sensor engine problems exploded to be a timing belt and 3 sensors so the whole experience is now going to cost a cool £1200 - ouch). Anyway, I do love the drive of the new S3 and keep wondering why flared arches and recaros wern't on the design list from standard...

Anyway, I made my decision and now have a new S3 xxx plate for my new car, just have to wait for the decision from quattro Gmbh regaridng the upholstery / new seats then I can get the order completed.

Despite what a lot of posters say, i'm generally happy with the brand and the new car, just wish the S-line / new S3 seats wern't so rubbish for me (I have a A4 2.0TDi S-line as a courtesy car and it too has the same seats and these are awful too).

regarding test drives of the S3 at Chester Audi....our car has not yet left the building!! it is going home with me tonight and this will be the first and only time this car has been on the road...anyone who posts a note saying they have driven an S3 at Chester Audi is not telling the truth. I will give you all a true review of the drive tomorrow if you all decide you would like to hear it..chris briggs, general sales manager, chester audi. good site overall.

I don't recall anybody saying they'd driven the car, just one poster saying he'd seen it in Chester Audi? Is it Orange? You could be talking about another thread of course, but I haven't got time to go trawling through them all.

I'll look forward to your review, but I have to say, if you are General Sales Manager at Chester Audi, you'd have to be pretty daft to say it was no good?! ;)

chesteraudi said:
regarding test drives of the S3 at Chester Audi....our car has not yet left the building!! it is going home with me tonight and this will be the first and only time this car has been on the road...anyone who posts a note saying they have driven an S3 at Chester Audi is not telling the truth. I will give you all a true review of the drive tomorrow if you all decide you would like to hear it..chris briggs, general sales manager, chester audi. good site overall.

Ahhhh, we have a sales manager .......

So, hows about a group buy discount for A-S.net :) ???

chesteraudi said:

I picked up this thread from Tyresmoke on the 26th of October. The car in question was DE56 UKU in Solar orange.

Original thread-
http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/978510/an/0/page/21#978510

Audi Sport thread-
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=29701

The guy said he had sat in it and was waiting for a test drive.

I'd sure like to read your review and news on the groups discount ;)

Regards, John.

just to clarify, the post i was referring to was by nb, 4 posts above my last one,posted about a week ago. thanks chris

firstly i would like to assure you all this is a non biased view...the car is f*****g fantastic.!! seriously, the s3 drives superb all round. the car is ideal around towns, if you like to be part of the crowd and not arouse suspicion about what is under the bonnet..however, on the open winding roads of north wales it turns into a snarling monster with the agility of a perfectly balanced snow leopard! open the throttle to just over 3000rpm, the turbo boots in, throwing the car down the road, into the scariest of bends and continues to accelerate to the 8000 limit. in 3rd gear this propels the car from 30mpn to 80mph in the slow blink of an eye, and the same scenario in 4th took the car from 40mph to almost 100mph, again very quick and smooth through the rev range while eating the mph clock....acceleration from 0 to 100 up kelsall hill, coming towards chester, was over and done with before i went under the bridge for those of you that know the area, and i managed to keep under the new 40mph limit before the boys in blue got me with their camera, kerching!! the brakes did work extremely well too, but i would say they are a little non responsive in real feedback and it is a case of you having to slow the car down in a harder fashion for certain winding roads rather than coaxing the car along at speeds and allowing you to break and accelerate, where allowed of course! the car is best driven hard, in an aggressive manner steeped into corners at high speed and accelerated out at even higher speeds, allow the quattro set up to correct your poor line and keep you out of the grass, and at all times keep the turbo whistling to your tune...all within the realms of the law of course. finally, i would say the s3 is by far a better drive than the 3.2 tt, is a lot quicker, whatever the audi figures say, and is far more practical and less likely to bring attention to you from unwanted sources, however everyone is entitled to their own invaluable opinions. i must now go and fight off 10 sales execs who want to take the s3 home tonight.! Oh nearly forgot...Group discounts...i am more than happy to offer anyone who posts constructive comments, including constructive criticism which can be used by us to make our audi product more appealing and desirable, discounts or favourable px prices and would ask you to contact me as required in this respect. i would also be grateful if anyone feels any of my staff do not provide you with the service you expect, if you visit or telephone our dealership in chester. i will keep you all informed of the latest audi news as i get it.....:beerchug:

So, that's a review of the old S3, right? ;)

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to post all that.

I haven't driven one, and have only nosed around one for real at the MPH 06 show at Earls Court, but I want one already.

I'll be hoping to arrange for a test drive next week, and hopefully placing an order barring any nasty surprises.

What are your delivery lead times like at the moment?

chesteraudi said:
Oh nearly forgot...Group discounts...i am more than happy to offer anyone who posts constructive comments, including constructive criticism which can be used by us to make our audi product more appealing and desirable, discounts or favourable px prices and would ask you to contact me as required in this respect.

Thank you for your post. I read with great interest your offer to discount cars. My local dealer point blank refused to offer any discounts saying it was against the rules set by Audi themselves. Would you be able to clarify the discount situation?

Many thanks.

Wow, that is the first time I have seen a post from an Official Dealer. (If we are to believe you are Chester Audi and not someone spoofing your identity - perhaps the Admins can confirm this).

If you are Chester Audi, welcome to the board.

Just to clarify: I visited Chester Audi and sat in the car, took pics, but did not drive the car. My test drive was at Links Audi Macclesfield.

Cheers

AL

whoops i meant crewe audi.......

and to clarify my above post regarding 'biased view', that was actually aimed at myself because i had become somewhat brainwashed by audi cars since i loved my 2.0t so much. It was meant in the context of convincing myself that the s3 would be out of this world which imo its not.

'mr chester audi' if you are a sales manager for Audi how can your view not be biased??!! plus you need to pay more attention to your product. Cant recall any figures stating the S3 was slower in anyway than the 3.2, and how do you come to the conclusion that it will attract less attention??!!

p.s unfortunately clarksons job on top gear is not available as yet but, after that test drive description, i'd recommend posting your CV when it becomes available.
I bet the punters are lining up to buy demo cars from Chester Audi.......