1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

New S3, question about shipping blocks

ikevinaugust Aug 19, 2020

1. ikevinaugust

ikevinaugust Registered User

So I picked up my new 2020 S3 last week and the ride was abnormally rough and stiff. I took it back in to the dealer after taking photos of the 4 shocks and seeing some purple shipping blocks/ strut pucks in the rear only (picture attached) and the front looked normal to me.
    When I took it back in, they said they also checked the front but I still feel like the ride is abnormally harsh and even though the service guys have said they checked I am wondering if there is a chance they are still in.
    What I am trying to find out is if they would be underneath the dust cover as shown here as a common problem for a new GTI:
    https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6978296-Quick-Guide-to-Remove-Strut-Pucks#/topics/6978296
    OR
    if they are always visible without jacking up the car and moving the dust cover, etc. which is what the dealership initially told me?

I would assume all cars are shipped the same way and it would be impossible for the dealer to not remove all of them but since they didn’t remove the rear ones the first time I am still paranoid. I am assuming someone on here has had the front ones left on as well and can tell me exactly what they look like and where they would have been.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

What suspension mode are you in comfort, auto or dynamic.......dynamic is a rough ride on some roads. I do not use drive modes but set up my driving preferences in individual mode.

4. ikevinaugust

I am doing comfort mode for suspension and dynamic for the rest of the options. It’s certainly worse if the suspension is set to dynamic.

5. rafletcher

rafletcher Registered User

Even in comfort mode, it’s a rock hard ride, especially on 19” rims when compared even to sports suspension. More like the S-Line suspension of 15 years ago.

6. ikevinaugust

Wow, and I have 18 inch rims. I can imagine the 19s would have literally murdered me then...

7. PeteRS3lee

PeteRS3lee Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Off topic ish
    How you get hold of an S3
    Thought these have only just come up for ordering
    or is it an A3 S line
    You have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ikevinaugust

Nothing new or hard to find about a 2020 S3. I think you mean 2021?

Does anyone know the answer about front shipping blocks/ strut pucks / whatever you call them? Where they are placed and if visible from the outside? Thanks.

9. PeteRS3lee

PeteRS3lee Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Ah right yes sorry
    Back on topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

If the shipping blocks were still in place the car would look like it is on stilts. Does it?

11. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze Registered User

Upload some pictures of your car that way it will be easier to help you

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. ikevinaugust

No, it doesn’t look like it is on stilts... the front is a touch higher than the back.

Attached Files:

14. Trev241

Trev241 Registered User

Looks perfectly normal.