New S3 owner with cooling fan question -

pilla

Reaction score
Hi there, i have frequented the b5 s4 forum before now, i have just purchased a 07 S3, I have found that the smaller cooling fan has smashed itself to pieces leaving the motor hitting the engine when it engages, so i have removed it completely from the fan pack assembly. I only have the larger fan in situ at the moment. I have had a search online but cant seem to find anything specific, so was wondering if anybody can advise me on what both fans do (different temp levels) ? and if it would be a terrible idea to use the car with just the single (larger) fan. (which works) Many thanks for your help.

The large fan is used to cool down the engine and the small fan is used for AC. If you have AC off and the engine will require cooling down, the large fan will kick in. If you turn the AC on, both fans will turn on on 1st gear (small fan never works on its own, always together with the large one).
Although it may seem like everything will be running fine, I've heard that if you do not have the small fan working/fitted the AC compressor might overheat and break and that will be an expensive repair as requires at least new compressor and system flush.

Reactions: pilla
Hi Marci, thanks for the reply, the small AC fan that i have removed had literally smashed all its fins off itself and also snapped the connector clean off the AC compressor so im not sure if it will still be operational anyway, I will replace the fan but im not sure if the connector on the AC unit is saveable. Cheers.

You will most likely need a new AC regulator valve (N280) however depending on the make of the compressor it might be hard to get and could be easier just to fit another compressor with vale intact.
AC will not work without this valve as the displacement of the compressor will be set to 0 and this will cause no pressure build up in the system.

So in its current state, with the valve electrical end snapped off and the fan not fitted, would it be ok to run it as it is until i manage to find replacement parts, i dont use air con anyway to be honest and have the heating either on hot or OFF. Thanks alot.

Yes you can run it like that as the engine is cooled exclusively by the large fan.