1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

New S3 fuel?!

Richierich37 Nov 27, 2016

1. pburv

pburv Registered User

Has anyone tried the 'Pump Challenge' promo Shell are doing at the moment?
    Closer you are to set amount of £'s gets you extra points. Eg £40 = 100 points
    I managed to get to £39.38 on my last fill without the pump clicking off...Anyone done any better?

richinsoton and Richierich37 like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Audi Bairn

Audi Bairn Moderator Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter

I've still got some of the cutlery :laughing::laughing:

richinsoton and pburv like this.
  4. pauly69

pauly69 Registered User

What, you stopped at 39.38, was the tank full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pburv likes this.
  5. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

qO4UKAh.jpg

6. pburv

pburv Registered User

jassyo06 likes this.
  7. pburv

pburv Registered User

Nah...Mate...Had a few dregs in the tank to begin with...:salute:

jassyo06 likes this.
  8. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Dregs...??/a have a few cans with some of that in them....lol

9. pburv

pburv Registered User

Do you remember the comic relief mug promo Esso did?....Still use it at work...lol
    [​IMG]

Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.
  10. pburv

pburv Registered User

Lol...As long as there are no fag ends in them you should be fine....:puke2:

Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.
  11. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

PMSL....................

pburv likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Cheers mate

9a208791ca6e37bbd0f12f84b27c5978.jpg

pburv likes this.
  14. pburv

pburv Registered User

back at you mate....Have a goodun
    Have one on me...Nitey nite...lol
    [​IMG]

richinsoton, Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.
  15. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Pert Night buddy...lol

pburv likes this.
  16. richinsoton

richinsoton Registered User

Unfortunately yes I can do the £40.00p challenge as the weekly fill to brimmed is approx £42 currently, so I'm filling slightly less the get the 100 bonus points. You can be a couple of pence either side of the exact figure & still get the bonus points.

pburv likes this.
  17. pburv

pburv Registered User

Unfortunately I only fill my car every 2-3 weeks. :whistle2:

Audi Bairn likes this.
  18. richinsoton

richinsoton Registered User

Ahh I remember those days lol! :sob:

pburv likes this.
  19. S3GURI

S3GURI Registered User

I'm struggling with mine at the moment. I appear to be getting 200 miles from a full tank. Filling up £60 each time at Shell. I'm quite sensible, getting around 23-25 mpg, my journeys Monday - Friday are quite short (around 5 minutes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Audi Bairn

At those figures, taking 24mpg as your average, your only using 8 gallons of your 12 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21. azibux1

azibux1 Registered User

Anyone filled with tesco (that normally doesn't) got any views?

@AudiNutta you tried it about a week ago?

I took the 49 litre Momentum 99 plunge the other day :p Normally a BP ultimate user. Will see how it goes...

22. Martinbanshee

Martinbanshee Registered User

[​IMG]

This is my average so far. I usually use V-Power but have been trying Momentum 99 and may stick with it.

azibux1 and Audi Bairn like this.
  23. vamos

vamos Registered User

Didn't 5th gear do a petrol test with a dyno - multiple brands tested and compared ? Or was I imagining it ?

<quick YouTube search>

Here :

Audi Bairn likes this.
  24. azibux1

azibux1 Registered User

Nice @Martinbanshee!

Only problem is that video is quite old @vamos, the fuels have changed since then (at least people say V-power definitely has)

25. vamos

vamos Registered User

Very true - very old and formulations probably changed. I will say though I can't forget the supermarket contamination disaster many years ago..

Audi Bairn and azibux1 like this.
  26. lledwoc

lledwoc Registered User

They might be old formulations but I still don't get the premium fuel thing. Sure the deterents might be great at de-coking etc (presumably because there's no guidelines/standards for these 'miracle' workers). but I still find the extra 3-4 RON number's different a bad argument for a car with 300hp, assuming the ecu alters the ignition timing it's only going to give a small percentage increase.

27. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Moderator Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter

I did, apologies for not posting any feedback.. had a lot of stuff to deal with, family problems and the girlfriends car having a battle with a crash barrier and losing significantly haha.

I'm on my second tank currently, my MPG creeped up from 21.6 to 23.1 on the last tank ;) But I did take it a little easier time of the time. Judging by my current projected range on this tank, I estimate 24/25mpg if I keep it up and resist the pops.

Haven't noticed any difference in performance, just trying to ignore the Tesco logo on the pump and focus on the 99 ;)

28. Audi Bairn

Firstly mate, I hope the gf is ok? Sounds like you've had a week of it, hope you get it all sorted.
    I wish I had more options for fueling up but hey, that's what I get for moving to the middle of nowhere.
    My only consistent option would be Sainsbury's for premium fuel, who I believe are supplied by BP.

Richierich37 likes this.
  29. Craig Cull

Craig Cull Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

I always use shell V power. I ised it on my big turbo A4 running just shy of 500bhp, my RS4 running 435bhp and my current S3 saloon. Reason i use it is because its the closest to me lol! Even though theres probably only a mile difference to tesco but they que for miles at tesco where as shells usually empty. Im getting around 250 miles to a tank and i dont exactly nurse it. I think aslong as your not running on 95 ron then anything 99 ron or equivalent will be more than adequate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CarloS3 and azibux1 like this.
  30. azibux1

azibux1 Registered User

As said above, sorry to hear that and hope all / everyone is now well :)

Good to know it is going well. I actually track my fuel stats with Fuelly so will be interesting to see if there is any good increase in stats after a couple of tanks

Will see how it goes

31. AudiNutta

Yeah she's alright thank you, shook up... she's only been driving a few months and I'm not looking forward to when she gets back on the road, I think her confidence has taken a significant hit. You'd be amazed if you saw what she managed to do, nobody can understand how she got the car on the wrong side of a crash barrier on a traffic island when leaving a roundabout. Looks as if she drove too fast in wet conditions, understeer took place and she didn't know how to correct it and went plowing straight on... oh well, it's done now and we will never know what was happening in the car the moment she lost control, once things for sure she won't accept she was speeding haha. Luckily the police have turned a blind eye, could have quite easily been careless driving.

I've heard Sainsbury's are second worst for fuel, Morrisons being the worst. But there might not be anything in that. All I know a guy I work with runs his mapped S3 on it and he said it runs better on their Supreme fuel than it does on V Power.

Gordo77 and Audi Bairn like this.
  32. AudiNutta

Thank you, on the mend now. There was a death in her family also, it's just not been a very good month for us.. so much for Christmas. Just luckily the RTC wasn't any worse, needless to say I'm quite persistent in telling her to be safe now, scary.

I use an app on my phone called Road Trip, it's very good and allows you to add in servicing costs etc if you wanted to, so you can get a figure down to yearly cost, monthly, daily and per mile for running the car (projected annual mileage).

Gordo77, azibux1 and Audi Bairn like this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. Richierich37

Richierich37 Registered User

Well the first tank of BP Ultimate has gone, covered approx 230 miles and was still showing 50 miles left till empty. That was a mixture of efficiency and dynamic mode and mainly around town?!

I've just filled up with Tesco Momentum and will leave it on dynamic mode until it's showing 50 miles to empty. Tesco petrol was 11p/lt cheaper too!

I'll report back with my findings.......if anyone is interested!?!? :)

BarryG79, Audi Bairn and Gordo77 like this.
  35. BarryG79

BarryG79 Registered User

As soon as my delivery fuel was at 40miles left, I filled up with momentum too.

Richierich37 likes this.
  36. Soulboy

Soulboy Registered User

I have only ever put Shell V Power in my S3 for nearly 3 years I have owned it (from new).
    It's traded in some time this week and the tank was on empty. So I put half a tank of ordinary unleaded in yesterday.
    So far, I can't tell any difference at all.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  37. Sam Bailey

Sam Bailey Registered User

I use shell v power. Averaging 19mpg. Hoping that it will get better when the engine beds in! On when I get bored of the power (never)

Audi Bairn likes this.
  38. S32B

S32B Registered User

19!!! you must drive everywhere like you've stolen it!

39. Sam Bailey

Sam Bailey Registered User

Just a short 5 mile journey to work and back, which probably doesn't help

jonisginger, AudiNutta and Audi Bairn like this.
  40. azibux1

azibux1 Registered User

There's another way to drive an S3?? :p :D

Brasso, AudiNutta, Sam Bailey and 2 others like this.
  41. Mr.G

Mr.G Registered User

All this talk of Dynamic and Efficency Mode has got me pondering, does Efficency Mode actually work? I.e is it proven to give more MPG, I know the car feels sluggish when it's in Efficency Mode but it's only even been used twice in my car in the whole time I've had it. 12 Months now.

Would love to hear from those who always use Efficency, definately from those with an S3 too.

I'm around 25mpg in Dynamic.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  42. Audi Bairn

I have a virtually identical 25 minute drive for my commute, with little or no traffic therefore I've been trying it in different modes to compare.
    In Dynamic I'm getting 25-28mpg. In Efficiency this rises to 34mpg. Other modes are anywhere in between.
    I'll probably never use Efficiency again though, not why I bought an S3 :grinning:

Mr.G, Richierich37 and richinsoton like this.
  43. WarwickL

WarwickL Registered User

26 hour return trip to Sydney, efficiency mode did 44 mpg

Around local streets, the car stays in individual mode which is basically dynamic for engine/drivetrain and auto everything else and averages 28 mpg

Mr.G, Richierich37 and Audi Bairn like this.