New S3 fuel?!

I doubt most people give a flying **** about the 'snob value' of where they buy fuel? Audi or not.
It's not a designer handbag or a luxury watch.
Correct me if I'm wrong - but is there anyone here who buys V Power as they think Shell is the forecourt to be seen at (this season)?

I certainly couldn't care less - as long as it's the right fuel (so I still get Shell as it came out first in the only comparison tests I have ever seen [posted above]).

However, having seen this thread I would happily stick Tesco Super in now.

Reactions: Daytonapig, Audi Bairn, Terminator x and 3 others
I always use Shell due to there's one situated at either end of my commute without having to go out of my way & doing a high mileage the money back fuel vouchers are useful. I never use the local supermarket fuel station due to I can't stand queueing & I'm not wasting 20mins of my day waiting to get to a pump to save a couple of pence a litre life is too short lol.
My only advice would be to stick to reasonably busy fuel stations that have a regular turnover of fuel to avoid water & other contamination that can occur at little country stations that only have a relatively few tank fills by comparison.

Reactions: RSS-S3, Richierich37, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I doubt most people give a flying **** about the 'snob value' of where they buy fuel? Audi or not.
It's not a designer handbag or a luxury watch.
Correct me if I'm wrong - but is there anyone here who buys V Power as they think Shell is the forecourt to be seen at (this season)?

I certainly couldn't care less - as long as it's the right fuel (so I still get Shell as it came out first in the only comparison tests I have ever seen [posted above]).

However, having seen this thread I would happily stick Tesco Super in now.

I think you'll find they do, the word "SuperMarket" has come up on this thread more that anything else, deeming the fuel to be not comparible to the top brand fuels like V Power etc. When in actual fact it is comparible and cheaper.

Designer Handbags or Luxury Watches have nothing to do with this thread. Head over to Watchuseek if this is your thing.

G

Reactions: WarwickL
The majority of petrol sales in Europe are from supermarkets.
Here in France I have run mine from new on supermarket fuel without any issues at all..........never know where this myth of supermarket fuels comes from? Do you really think a supermarket would run the risk in their business model?

Lets be honest here, all A3 engines are mass produced small(ish) capacity engines and not particularly stressed for the power they are producing, branded or supermarket will make nowt difference. Ironically I use 98 as for me it is only 2p a litre more than normal unleaded and only about 110p a litre but not 100% sure of the reason/benefit!!

Reactions: Ormesome
In NI it is BP Ultimate(97) or standard unleaded(95) from other suppliers, no other choice. Shell pulled out a few years ago.

The majority of petrol sales in Europe are from supermarkets.
Here in France I have run mine from new on supermarket fuel without any issues at all..........never know where this myth of supermarket fuels comes from? Do you really think a supermarket would run the risk in their business model?

I use Super U fuel when I'm in France. Totally fine. Although i do like to put in a bit of V-Power now and again if I'm in FR for a while. prob does nothing but it makes me happy! My dad has lived there for yrs and always used cheapest supermarket fuel. he's had no problems.

In Portugal the supermarket fuel is around 4/5 cents cheaper. I used it once with a Golf diesel MK5. Ran like s**t! in PT i only use Repsol now and i usually go for the good stuff. Mostly cos i have a discount card but also cos fuel in PT is discounted by 5 cents a litre at every Repsol on Sat & Sun so it makes the good fuel cheaper to buy.

Well I paid 125.9 at Shell last week, I've just had an email from Costco Chester, they've opened their station today. It's now the closest station to me and apparently the same stuff they use at Tesco and a great price:

PetrolPrices

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv, Richierich37 and 1 other person
My nearest Shells are in Salisbury or Pennsylvania, both around 50 miles for the round trip. So not worth it!

Just been down to the new Costco fuel station, normal unleaded is 95 RON and the super unleaded is 99 RON, I put £30 in and it seems to be running OK!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv and Richierich37
Just been down to the new Costco fuel station, normal unleaded is 95 RON and the super unleaded is 99 RON, I put £30 in and it seems to be running OK!
Of the 99? Or the 95?

Reactions: pburv
99 obviously! ;)
Good man

Reading here, is making me lean towards trying out tesco momentum 99... Normally avoid tesco at all costs for fuel

BUT especially as Costco are using it (so it seems), and others seem to get on well with it.. I am tempted

Reactions: Richierich37 and pburv
Well at least we ALL can agree the yanks use **** fuel!!!

84 RON.......

WTF is that!?!??!!

Well at least we ALL can agree the yanks use **** fuel!!!

84 RON.......

WTF is that!?!??!!
its not RON, it's MON

It's a different measuring system for much the same thing. The septics like to be a bit different.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Can you also remember Formula Shell from the mid 80s and all the engines it gummed up and knackered? Never touched Shell since.
I've used Tesco Momentum for the first couple of months but it's a five mile round trip out of my way locally so the last two tanks have been Morrison's 95.
Good lord, that's a blast from the past. Burnt valves aplenty and a commercial failure... ...and a ****** awful advert;

Reactions: Bristle Hound, pburv, Ormesome and 1 other person
Got to be Shell V-Power every time, been using for years now on Golf R32, two Golf R's and now my FL s3, you cannot beat it.
It might be slightly more expensive but it certainly looks after your engine, it's all about the additives now, as for better performance I don't know as all the previous motors and now the s3 are used everyday as family motors so not much ragging going on. Maybe the odd blast but for me V-Power has never gave me any issues so I fully recommend it, as for the new owners putting supermarket fuel in, don't do it, it's cheaper for a reason......think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as for the new owners putting supermarket fuel in, don't do it, it's cheaper for a reason......think about it.
Things like that are what makes me stay with BP Ultimate lol.. Shame there is only 1 shell station nearby and it is designed in a very silly tight fashion with various metal bollards... very awkward. Because the shell has a higher RON than BP ultimate

as for the new owners putting supermarket fuel in, don't do it, it's cheaper for a reason......think about it.

Ok, let's think about it. Why are supermarkets able to sell fuel cheaper?

Firstly, the supermarkets own vast sites, and enjoy an entirely different level of economic flexibility to a standard petrol station. The cost of installing and operating a filling station is far cheaper when you buy a vast brown field site in the middle of nowhere and then build a facility to attract customers to it, than it is to buy and operate a small site on a local high street. The overheads are much lower, and the vast buying power of a big supermarket gets them bigger discounts at the refinery than a local Shell concession run by a small business owner will get.

There's also a huge tax burden in there, and when you strip it out you see the numbers that your local Tesco and your local shell station are dealing with aren't huge. If you have the advantage of paying less for the fuel in bulk AND paying less in overheads AND not having the pressure to operate your petrol business at a huge margin since it's incidental to your core business of selling groceries, then you're able to offer fuel at a lower price.

This morning where I am Shell V power is 121.9p/l and Tesco 99 is 115.9p

The tax burden on that fuel looks like this;

IMG 4356

The 'cost to the customer' line is the interesting one. From this the petrol station must pay all overheads, buy the fuel, and extract a profit margin. There's not a lot of fat to play with, so operating the site as part of a much larger grocery business gives you the flexibility to keep the margin lower.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Martinbanshee, S37S and 2 others
The 'cost to the customer' line is the interesting one. From this the petrol station must pay all overheads, buy the fuel, and extract a profit margin. There's not a lot of fat to play with, so operating the site as part of a much larger grocery business gives you the flexibility to keep the margin lower.

And the supermarkets don't have to spend money on the research, marketing and advertising for the next "wonder" additive.

I am sure the supermarkets run their petrol business close to break even as loss leaders, so does not mean their fuel is inferior

For a number of years Tesco (and other chains) also run the buy your groceries with us and get money off your fuel schemes to encourage people to use their petrol stations and once in the habit its a hard one to break.

Our local Tesco station is always busy and I drive half a mile or so past the virtually empty BP "wild bean cafe" to get my cheaperTesco Momentum

Reactions: Audi Bairn
My father was a tanker driver for 30 years and used to deliver petrol first for Texaco, then Tesco. Supermarkets, Shell, Total, Texaco, BP, etc etc. they all came from the same tanks and same loading bays in the refinery.

The only difference in brands was the additives when they started to come in. Until around 25-30 years ago these were added by the driver climbing up on top of the tanker and tipping a couple of glugs of jollop into the top of each pot. It relied on the driver adding a 'measured amount'. possibly some of the Shell drivers were a bit generous with the magic Formula that caused the problems, Who knows.
The system was later changed to computer controlled addition of the jollop when bottom loading and vapour recovery systems were installed but it was and still is (AFAIK) all the same base product in our area. Its all about logistics.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, S37S and richinsoton
... as for the new owners putting supermarket fuel in, don't do it, it's cheaper for a reason......think about it.

I've used it in every single car I've owned since it came out. No one single issue ever.

TX.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and billy.rt
I've used it in every single car I've owned since it came out. No one single issue ever.

TX.
exactly the same as myself, if I need fuel I will pull into whatever garage I happen to pass next. be it a supermarket or a shell etc. I might make a point of once every three/four tanks to run it down and fill up with a supreme fuel but i've never once encountered issues. if I had a track car or a heavily modded car that specced or actually required a particular fuel then yes, but other than that if I need fuel I fill up with whatever is available.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and put in Tesco 99 on the way home tonight.....

Reactions: Richierich37 and azibux1
It appears that Tesco fuel is supplied by Greenergy, the same company that refine and manufacture fuel for Esso and Total, and supply large users like First. They supply around 12-15% of the nations vehicle fuel, which makes them a member of the top 3 fuel manufacturers in the U.K.

Tesco is a major shareholder in greenergy. Owning a 1/4 of the shares.

So when you ask how the supermarkets can supply it cheaper, I suspect part owning your own refinery probably helps.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, CarloS3 and 2 others
So thats a tank of Momentum in.. I will report back in a week :p

Something to soften the blow, it was 114.9, can't fault that!

Reactions: azibux1 and Richierich37
So to sum it all up.......
Everyone disagrees and is going to stick with what they do already.

Those on the premium brands will carry on paying more as they think it's worth it.

Those on supermarket fuel will carry on paying less as they think its basically the same stuff.

Some will just fill up at whatever station they are near and whatever fuel is available.

All sides will snear at the others and think they are right

Is that a fair summary till next time we get a thread on it?
:wink new:

Reactions: Djs3saloon, BigBill, Audi Bairn and 4 others
So to sum it all up.......
Everyone disagrees and is going to stick with what they do already.

Those on the premium brands will carry on paying more as they think it's worth it.

Is that a fair summary till next time we get a thread on it?
:wink new:
My loyalty to Shell will only last as long as they offer me moneyback on my purchases or Esso start offering crystal decanters again!!!...

& 3 door manual cars are better than all the rest just to poke that hornets nest too whilst I'm at it (snear) rofl !

If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world & we all love a good old cyberspace bicker so it's lucky we don't. :yes:

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
^^
FYI actually foreign registered 3dr manuals are the fastest...............buy one whilst you can.

Has anyone calculated how much Shell costs per litre after the money back vouchers? i just got £15 through the post for my last quarter. swear i didn't spend that much. They do seem to have so many 100points offers on the app, i think at least 1 a month! Plus double/triple points for V-Power fuel....Plus nice free choc bars/brownies over the summer! Its great! don't get those at Tesco!

Reactions: pburv and richinsoton
I've been using the Costco stuff all week and the car is running fine on it, had a few blasts and can't notice any difference from my normal V-Power! £1.24 vs £1.09 is the only difference :blink: 1 tank per week = £30 per month = £360 per year = insurance covered on the saving!

Reactions: pburv, Richierich37, Martinbanshee and 1 other person
I run on standard unleaded fuel generally.
Part of the reason being I'm in a rural location with a village petrol station with two pumps (which is extortionate) or Sainsbury's near my work.
Anything else would require a large detour.
Would love to try some of the other brands referred to for an extended spell, to see if I notice a difference, but it's just not practical.

Reactions: pburv
Filled up with Tesco moment 99 this morning. Came to 47 pounds for around 43 litres. I remember paying 60 quid at Shell!! Shall see how I get on with this

Reactions: AudiNutta, pburv, Richierich37 and 1 other person
If you guys are going off price paid then i really think its unfair to judge the forecourt price of Shell without discounting the vouchers gained via points accumulated. For every 500points you get £2.50 in money off vouchers. V-Power is 2points a litre. There are also various promotions every month and sometimes weekly, especially 100bonus points and sometimes triple points for V-Power. I would guess that because of this Shell will work out cheaper than Tesco.

Interesting.

The base promotion of 2 points per litre equates to a discount of 1p per litre.

Not quite enough to bridge the gap between Shell and Tesco which this morning in my bit of London is 9p/litre.

With promotions, the 100 point bonus equates to a 50p discount (c.1p/litre for a complete fill up) and triple points promotions would give you a 3p/litre discount. A decent discount, but still only a third of the way to matching Tesco.

Tesco used to do a fuel save scheme that they ditched after about 18 months. It would give you 2p/litre off just for spending £50 on groceries in store. Shame that one ended as it made a decent sized dent in fuel costs. (Or would have done if I shopped in Tesco. My local Tesco is huge, something like 120,000 square feet, which is about 119,000 square feet more that I need, or would ever wish to cope with after a day at work. The marathon like distance between life's absolutely essential products such as steak and beer is enough to put the seriously lazy shopper off going there.)

Reactions: richinsoton, Ormesome, Richierich37 and 3 others
My loyalty to Shell will only last as long as they offer me moneyback on my purchases or Esso start offering crystal decanters again!!!...

& 3 door manual cars are better than all the rest just to poke that hornets nest too whilst I'm at it (snear) rofl !

If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world & we all love a good old cyberspace bicker so it's lucky we don't. :yes:
Esso crystal decanters...lol That brings back memories......I saved up enough points to get an electric air pump and torch combo about 16 years ago......It's still going strong now....:yahoo:

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn and Richierich37