New S3 Carwow drag race

8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and Darlo
That Golf R really is a machine, shame they’ve put those ridiculous haptic buttons in it, the interior and MMI on the Golf 7.5 was the best I’ve personally used.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Gazwould
I thought they had decided not to build the GR400 ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
The new golf is a beast. I still think the the S3 looks better though and interior is far superior in terms of technology and the fact it actually has physical controls.

Reactions: Jabba46 and Q5 TRS
The new golf is a beast. I still think the the S3 looks better though and interior is far superior in terms of technology and the fact it actually has physical controls.

Lol interior of the 8Y is terrible.

Reactions: Chris4410, Mr Freeze, Jcbmally and 1 other person
In the most meaningful test (rolling start from 50 in 'sport' mode) there was nothing between the R and the S3, tending to suggest that the R's official bhp is probably correct. Off the line is a different story, but who buys a car based on it's superior LC? Having said that, if VW had just reigned back a bit on its tacky "all digital" interior, it would have probably cleaned up in this sector. Does make you wonder though. Where is the market for the new RS3 when you can go this fast in a Golf?

Reactions: NevMan, Moots, Jcbmally and 1 other person
I was really looking forward to the mk8 golf R.
When it launched I like the exterior from some angles not others, quite like the seats but can’t stand the dash. Looks like it was designed a few years ago when integrated screens were just starting to come out. It’s a poor implementation of wrap around screen.

Mercedes really did this well with one huge single surface, even if it has 2 screens inside it just looks better. Not a fan of merc computers though, I prefer Audi for cockpit and mmi displays and interface. VWs looks a complicated mess, difficult to use while driving.

I was really looking forward to the mk8 golf R.

Me too, but when the base mk8 golf appeared it was a real shocker, giving a whole new meaning to the word ‘bland’. The signs were not good. VW have somehow rescued the looks with the R (not so much with the GTI), but that front is still pretty grim to my eyes. However, VW had already ‘lost the plot’ with the mk8 interior, so it is now for die-hard R fans only, no matter how fast it goes.

As the current crop of hot hatches all have massive performance, the distinguishing features turn more and more to the external looks and (especially) the interior. The A35 is stunning in many ways, but still way too much shiny black plastic for my taste. Not too keen on the seats either. Arguably, the M135i interior is just as good and BMW have cleverly retained the central ‘control wheel’ for the MMI, something Audi have foolishly ditched on the A3. There has been plenty of criticism of the dash layout on the new A3, but I am ok with it as long as the build quality is up to standard. Test drive planned for 13 April when the showrooms re-open. I have probably been spoiled with my current TTS coupe. The interior is basically a work of art and not a significant squeak or rattle in nearly three years. All downhill from here eh? Lol.

Reactions: Q5 TRS

well the results were devastating for the S3 and further proof the Golf R is a far superior car this time round.

The S3 also sounded terrible !
The Golf & Bimmer sounded pretty good to be fair.

I think Golf R sales are gonna far outweigh Audi S3 on this platform. On every level the Golf is superior. It looks the best on the outside, has the best clean looking cabin & wins hands down on performance.

Game over S3 ... it looks only the RS3 is viable with the 8y imo.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Jcbmally
Looks surprisingly good in black and that interior looks superb ....

The Golf is stinking on the exterior
The new S3 looks nicer external to the Golf by a long way and i prefer the S3's interior to the Golf

Love how forum's always hate on the new models of the cars they are about, 5 years time every1 be raving about the 8Y when the next gen comes out and that will get slated.

Reactions: Marinos Demetriou, Moots and Q5 TRS
Me too, but when the base mk8 golf appeared it was a real shocker, giving a whole new meaning to the word ‘bland’. The signs were not good. VW have somehow rescued the looks with the R (not so much with the GTI), but that front is still pretty grim to my eyes. However, VW had already ‘lost the plot’ with the mk8 interior, so it is now for die-hard R fans only, no matter how fast it goes.

As the current crop of hot hatches all have massive performance, the distinguishing features turn more and more to the external looks and (especially) the interior. The A35 is stunning in many ways, but still way too much shiny black plastic for my taste. Not too keen on the seats either. Arguably, the M135i interior is just as good and BMW have cleverly retained the central ‘control wheel’ for the MMI, something Audi have foolishly ditched on the A3. There has been plenty of criticism of the dash layout on the new A3, but I am ok with it as long as the build quality is up to standard. Test drive planned for 13 April when the showrooms re-open. I have probably been spoiled with my current TTS coupe. The interior is basically a work of art and not a significant squeak or rattle in nearly three years. All downhill from here eh? Lol.
The MY21 TTS has the same engine as the GR8 and it's a good bit lighter

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jcbmally
Looks surprisingly good in black and that interior looks superb ....

Them "TEETH"....he is the biggest Merchant Banker on FUD TUBE..............daddies money boy plus a Millenial......Matt Watson is a close second

Reactions: Frizzley, Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
The new S3 looks nicer external to the Golf by a long way and i prefer the S3's interior to the Golf

Love how forum's always hate on the new models of the cars they are about, 5 years time every1 be raving about the 8Y when the next gen comes out and that will get slated.
@Bigjase88 nowt to do with forums mate if anyone buys a car because of forum opinion or via a non journalistic youtube video they really are a moron all cars in this video are flawed to an extent in their own way but l do know the best drivers car will the BMW Plus its got the best put together interior the 8Y is inherently flawed in so many ways FACT the GR8 is the main attraction for Youtubers atm but that will soon pass carwow is youtubes version of the SUN news paper ie full of sensationalism and TITS Take this crap with a pinch of salt

Ps car forum members are far more knowledgeable than YOUTUBERS

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jcbmally, 8YARWY and 1 other person

Not really, when the 8V FL was released I ordered it straight away. Same when I ordered the 8V From owning the 8P.

8Y just doesn’t have the ‘I fancy changing into that’ factor for me.

Reactions: AlS3BE, JohnM100, Jassyo06 and 2 others

Yeah many of had a pre-fl or fl or both 8v .. but the 8y just isn’t doing it for us. Hopefully the facelift will address all the issues.

Reactions: AlS3BE, Jassyo06 and Mr Freeze
Lol interior of the 8Y is terrible.

Lol it's just not though is it. At least younger people seem to like it anyway, the only people who seem to think it's "terrible" seem to be over 40.

Exactly.

Reactions: Moots
Lol it's just not though is it. At least younger people seem to like it anyway, the only people who seem to think it's "terrible" seem to be over 40.

Exactly.

No not true.

Plenty of owners I know and deal with who are in their 30’s agree it’s terrible.
Same on the bug eyed front end.

I like the new one.
more so than the 8V when it came out.
the 8V is a very understated car.

If i could afford one i would have one in a heartbeat

i would also rather an S3 (bit of class) as opposed to a Golf R mk8, that every1 will end up having. Those Golf R’s are like bumholes, every1 got one.

Reactions: Ludus
I like the new one.
more so than the 8V when it came out.
the 8V is a very understated car.

If i could afford one i would have one in a heartbeat

i would also rather an S3 (bit of class) as opposed to a Golf R mk8, that every1 will end up having. Those Golf R’s are like bumholes, every1 got one.
I don't think that will happen for the mk8 R. Even adding a couple of modest options pushes you into the £40k road tax bracket, and I don't think there will be all the 'give away' lease deals that there were for the mk7. With all the current hype, I'm sure they are selling pretty well at the moment (despite being close to £50k fully loaded), but things will calm down in a few months. People here in the UK are only just starting to take delivery, so it will be interesting to see if VW have eliminated all the 'teething problems' (mostly electronics) that they had with the base mk8 Golf last year..

well the results were devastating for the S3 and further proof the Golf R is a far superior car this time round.

The S3 also sounded terrible !
The Golf & Bimmer sounded pretty good to be fair.

I think Golf R sales are gonna far outweigh Audi S3 on this platform. On every level the Golf is superior. It looks the best on the outside, has the best clean looking cabin & wins hands down on performance.

Game over S3 ... it looks only the RS3 is viable with the 8y imo

Couldn't of put it better myself mate

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Does make me laugh how people say this is terrible fact. It’s not fact it’s your opinion, you’re welcome to your opinion and anyone else is welcome to theirs too.

I’d always wanted an S3 8V but I thought the pop up MMI was ******* awful, and it stopped me from buying one whenever I got the itch to change from my GTI, loved the look of the rest of the car. I guess it also helped that the GTI was hands down the best MMI unit I’ve had in any car to date.

The 8Y whilst not quite as attractive as the 8V but it’s still a nice car to look at, and the interior is far better in my opinion, obviously some bugs with the MMI unit but they’ll be addressed with software updates. If you don’t like it it and have an 8V, cool they’re both great cars, but don’t try pass your opinion off as fact, it just makes you look like an ****.

Reactions: Ludus and Bigjase88
Does make me laugh how people say this is terrible fact. It’s not fact it’s your opinion, you’re welcome to your opinion and anyone else is welcome to theirs too.

I’d always wanted an S3 8V but I thought the pop up MMI was ******* awful, and it stopped me from buying one whenever I got the itch to change from my GTI, loved the look of the rest of the car. I guess it also helped that the GTI was hands down the best MMI unit I’ve had in any car to date.

The 8Y whilst not quite as attractive as the 8V but it’s still a nice car to look at, and the interior is far better in my opinion, obviously some bugs with the MMI unit but they’ll be addressed with software updates. If you don’t like it it and have an 8V, cool they’re both great cars, but don’t try pass your opinion off as fact, it just makes you look like an ****.

You need an eye test if you think the interior is nicer in the 8y than the previous 8v .

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

Exactly. I'm in my 20's and thought the 8V interior looked extremely dated which is what put me off buying one for years, once the 8Y came out I was blown away by the interior and IMO was the much needed modern upgrade. One of the main reasons I ordered the 8Y was the interior.

Reactions: Bigjase88 and Moots
Exactly. I'm in my 20's and thought the 8V interior looked extremely dated which is what put me off buying one for years, once the 8Y came out I was blown away by the interior and IMO was the much needed modern upgrade. One of the main reasons I ordered the 8Y was the interior.
But you’re wrong, Mr Freeze said so ‍♂️

Reactions: Ludus
I’m 40 in may, I’ve had the 8V S3 in 2014 and have ordered an S3 Saloon 8Y. My dad has the 2018 A8 and I think the new 8Y follows the design language of the A8 nicely.
Coincidentally he had a 2013 A8 when I had my 8V. I do feel the 8V is dated I mean it’s 8 years old now. I did really like the pop up screen though.

Is this the new s3 to golf thread
I think it’s the bash the S3 8Y thread cos it’s not as fast as the golf, odd as most of the people bashing it drive 8V’s and the new ones faster than that one so I’m not sure what the aim is here

Reactions: Ludus and Q5 TRS
There’s also a guy who lives not too far from me who had a 2014 plate S3 saloon and I just drove past his house (he lives on a main road) and I saw a brand new red S3 8Y saloon. He’s over 60.

The 8Y will date quicker than 8v FL as it's ungainly from a few angles the 8v FL has'nt dated it still looks really good....as it's overall design is more proportionately balanced.... ah in your 20's You love touchscreens then and dont have a lot of experience with the S3/A3 well most on here have and most of us are wise enough not to go anywhere near the 8Y I have owned 2 8V S3's pfl Sport back and FL Saloon never again, the one I just sold was a better car than an a 8Y S3 in every way why because the 8Y is A cost cutted version of a 8V FL it brings nothing new to the market over and above the 8V ah i've read recent posts on this thread...."It's just an opinion" but it's a general opinion that at one point last year i did not share until i seen and sat in the 8Y Audi has even ****** up the way you can even configure the car in the UK.....It comes across to me that with all electric cars looming Audi did'nt spend enough time and money on the 8Y hence it's a face lifted car and not an all new car hence why most current/previous owners of the 8v wont buy it..... but folks that aint will buy the 8Y

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Mr Freeze