New S3 - bumped already!

It’s a good idea if you putting your car through insurance for minor work, to take photos of the damage.
When you come to sell your car, HPI check may show up it been involved in an accident.

You don’t need to say or show the photos, but if someone asks you can show what little damage there was.

Reactions: marcgti6
Been doing a bit of digging - Audi part number for 3dr Hatch RHS rear LED Light (outer) is: 8V3945096B so the previous link I posted is incorrect for what you need and is indeed for a sportback, well spotted.

There is this one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-S...884464?hash=item3d153649f0:g:s~AAAOSwLzdWTwsP
although I would guess there will be many more.

With what's been pointed out that the rear clusters do differ from the 3 dr hatch to the sportback in mind - the rear bumpers are highly likely to differ also so just be careful with that, the link I posted above is correct for a 3dr (8V1) I do believe though.

Either way I hope you get this sorted without it being too stressful, I had a similar occurrence with mine when it was only days old too - had to have the bonnet resprayed!

Thanks for this, Tony, really helpful.

There's a few lights on eBay at the moment if you search using the part number you mentioned (8V3945096B). I want the best condition one I can find so I'll keep my eyes peeled and study the pictures closely! I've got a machine polisher and all the kit at home so I should be able to remove any fine superficial marks myself.

I suppose I could sell my old rear light on eBay too - the damage is only minor and it might be good enough for someone who's not as fussy as me! Might bag me £50.00 if I'm lucky?!

I've had a quote from a bodyshop that's local to me (CJR in Shelf, near Bradford if you're interested) for £250.00. He's got a good reputation in the Golf/VAG world and he's been painting for ages. He's assured me that the bumper will be removed and dismantled and that I won't be able to tell any difference once it's been repaired and painted. In other words, it's getting fixed properly, not just smart repaired. I believe that he does quite a bit of work for Halifax VW which is less than a mile down the road for him. Need to ring him today and get it booked it now. He also liked the car and had a good nosey round which is always reassuring!

Thanks to everyone else for their replies too - it seems like I'm not the only one with a dangerous girlfriend/wife :)

Will update the thread with pictures when she's back together and sorted.

Still in love with the car :heart:

Reactions: richinsoton, Ben Daniel Grant and Rob2k68
I would be considering an insurance claim for that damage. Your not going to get much change for 1k especially if you want the light cluster replacing too. It is likely any body shop worth its salt would want to fade in the rear quarter panels and possibly the boot as well. Colour matching isn't easy at the best of times and a metallic blue like that will be a bitch.

I would definitely rather keep the insurance company at bay on this one. Hoping I can pick up a good used light for £100 ish and then polish it up so that it looks as new (if required). £250.00 for the bumper repair to what should be a very high standard so £350 ish in total.

I got a really good price on my insurance and I'm pretty sure it would cost me more than £350 in the long run if I were to claim.

The colour match should be fine - the bodyshop said that they would order the paint and then spray a sample for me to look at before they went ahead with the bumper, which I thought was a nice touch. As has been mentioned, the paint is brand new anyway so it's not like it's had 10 years of UV fading or anything.

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: richinsoton, Spaceman_RS3, Soulboy and 1 other person
What a nightmare! I've had the car for three days and it's already been bumped - my girlfriend reversed it into a wall leaving a driveway :(

Some questions...

Are the S3 bumpers unique to the S3 or is it just the black 'diffuser' and exhaust cut-outs that are different?

The rear light has also been marked - are these the same on all A3s?

I'm new to Audi so I'm not sure what's what or how best to repair it. Does any one know how much Audi will charge for a new bumper in Sepang and a new rear light? I'm guessing that it ain't going to be a pretty bill.

I'm absolutely gutted and she's in tears - my first new car! :(

Images attached...

Dont worry. I picked mine up on March 1st 2014 at midday and two 4x4s nearly drove into me within 10 minutes (one because 3 lanes werent enough, moron. 2nd because they were on their phone). On March 3rd 2014 at 08:00ish another 4x4 moron drove into the back on my car on the M4 near Maidenhead on a straight in very slow moving traffic of less than 10mph in broad daylight but not bright sunshine and a bright red car - HOW can you not see my car????

People i know understand why i detest 4x4 drivers, 99.999999% of them cant drive and its akin to giving a 2 year old a gun - 4x4s should be banned or have a separate licence for only those capable of driving them. Idiots should stick to walking or the bus. After 4x4 drivers, Vauxhall Zafira drivers are the next worst.

Got mine done via an audi approved repairer. They didnt blend it in as perfectly as id expect at first but second go was perfect. Better than the Merc approved repairer my wife used in slough (rainbow) - absolutely terrible - they used the same paint for the panel and abs plastic wheel arched on her original A class. Mercedes were hopeless in helping to resolve it, so i doubt i'd buy another Merc

Its an easy repair and colour match will be easier with tech nowadays and even more so with it being new

Last edited:
I feel your pain.

Day 1 - girlfriend curbed an alloy
Day 13 - I curbed an alloy
Day 25 - I scraped it reversing off the drive.

I'm sure I purchased a cursed car!

As bad as me
Day 3 - 4x4 blind MORON hit my car on a straight road - tried to drive off as he said it was a minor tap, WTF mate its a new car stop and exchange detail! old guy too. £1500 of damage as bumper scrapped and had a tiny split so new bumper needed and boot clipped but very minor damage luckily

Day 7 - curbed an alloy

3 months later - curbed two more of these rubbish no tyre protected alloys (unlike like those on my peugeot 307 xsi)

1 year later - some muppet clipped my car in a carpark - only 2 cars there when doing a fast uturn, why? MORON - then drove off . minor scrapping and 10p sized chip - cost only £100 to repair - got it on car camera but too close and dark to catch number plate

2 years later - curbed last alloy

guess i need to sort the alloys soon!

No need for her to be in tears, its just a car!

As its a new car, I would go back to Audi and get it repaired right.

No point in trying to cut corners.

Unless you know a good independent? Maybe the bumper is salvageable?

Quite similar to the damage done by the muppet that clipped my car on a uturn - hard to tell it there is any distortion or damge to the bumper but the scrapes are easily repairable especially if not too deep. anything can be repaired, just depends if its cheaper just to get a new bumper. defo go official audi dealer route though unless you know of a reputable independent

Got my new (well, used) rear light today. Took a gamble on eBay and found one for £70, inc. postage. I only ordered it yesterday so good service from the seller.

At first glance it looks to be in great condition but I'll run the machine polisher over it just to remove some fine swirls (probably from poor washing). I'm hopeful I should be able to get it 100%. If not, I'll have to break out the wet and dry. It's going to have to be 100% before it's fitted to the car.

How easy are they to remove? Anyone done a guide?

Cheers

Got my new (well, used) rear light today. Took a gamble on eBay and found one for £70, inc. postage. I only ordered it yesterday so good service from the seller.

At first glance it looks to be in great condition but I'll run the machine polisher over it just to remove some fine swirls (probably from poor washing). I'm hopeful I should be able to get it 100%. If not, I'll have to break out the wet and dry. It's going to have to be 100% before it's fitted to the car.

How easy are they to remove? Anyone done a guide?

Cheers

Good result on the light for only £70, nice one :)

Reactions: marcgti6 and Rob2k68
Pretty pleased with the light after a quick polish - you wouldn't know it's not new.

Just got to wait until the 11th April when it goes to the bodyshop now...

Attachments

• DSC_0423.JPG
    DSC_0423.JPG
    602.7 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0425.JPG
    DSC_0425.JPG
    658.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0426.JPG
    DSC_0426.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 274
Reactions: Gazjs, pburv and Rob2k68
Good news on the light - I don't know how easy or hard it is to remove and replace, but given the body shop you are using for the bumper repair sound like you can trust their work, might it not be worth asking how much to swap the two units over? I would imagine if you know what's to be done, they could probably do it for you for not a lot of cost whilst they do the bumper. Just a thought

Reactions: Rob2k68 and marcgti6
Are you retarded? How do you stretch that as me blaming Audi?
Sorry to mis-understand you, but no need to be rude.
You obviously meant - "the one thing I hate about cars is the upkeep". But You specifically referred to an A3.

Good news on the light - I don't know how easy or hard it is to remove and replace, but given the body shop you are using for the bumper repair sound like you can trust their work, might it not be worth asking how much to swap the two units over? I would imagine if you know what's to be done, they could probably do it for you for not a lot of cost whilst they do the bumper. Just a thought

Yeah, that's a good point actually. When I went to see the guy who owns the bodyshop, he actually offered to fit the light whilst he's got the car, which I thought was a nice touch.

I'll probably leave it to him. Although I can't imagine it being hard to fit and I've replaced a few before (just not on brand new cars!), my fingers can be a bit buttery... :)

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Pretty pleased with the light after a quick polish - you wouldn't know it's not new.

Just got to wait until the 11th April when it goes to the bodyshop now...

Wow looking good !!!

Having the new light to hand will give you the best clue as to how to remove the old ones in terms of where the fixings are. Some Seat and Ford lights are a right PITA they have like a ball joint clip in the far corner that requires quite a bit of force to overcome.

Yeah good idea as suggested by Hawkeye already and just got the body shop to do it. How long are they having the car for out of interest - a couple of days should do it I would have thought ??

Reactions: marcgti6 and pburv
Thanks.

I may change it if I get time over the weekend - if not, it's no big deal as the damage to the bumper is much more noticeable than the light anyway!

Yep, they've said it will take a couple of days. He did mention there was a possibility of getting me in before the 11th April so fingers crossed.

Quite frustrating having to drive around in a damaged car. First world problem or what?! :)

Reactions: Gazjs, Rob2k68 and pburv
Just to update, the car has gone to the bodyshop today. It's having a new rear bumper fitted and the light that I bought will be fitted at the same time. She should be good as new when I collect on Wednesday.

It turned out the bumper was actually creased when closely inspected, hence why I thought it would be best to do the job properly and not bother with a repair.

Can't wait to get it back now so I can start properly pampering it. I've been keeping it clean but I want to give it a light machine polish and get some wax on it - I just couldn't bring myself to do it when the bumper was marked!

I'll update with some pictures when I get it back.

Reactions: pburv, Gazjs, batch and 1 other person
Another update - she's back!

Really impressed with the job - you'd never know that it had been bumped, thankfully.

Now just to make sure it stays looking this good :)

Big thanks to CJR bodyshop - I'd recommend them to anyone local to West Yorkshire.

Attachments

• DSC_0516.JPG
    DSC_0516.JPG
    602.7 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_0518.JPG
    DSC_0518.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 211
  • DSC_0519.JPG
    DSC_0519.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 227
Reactions: RS3 S., Simon L, pburv and 2 others
Another update - she's back!

Really impressed with the job - you'd never know that it had been bumped, thankfully.

Now just to make sure it stays looking this good :)

Big thanks to CJR bodyshop - I'd recommend them to anyone local to West Yorkshire.

Excellent news - looks mint !!

Reactions: RS3 S., marcgti6 and pburv
What bump???.....lol
Looking spot on mate...:friends:

Reactions: marcgti6 and Rob2k68
Just to update, the car has gone to the bodyshop today. It's having a new rear bumper fitted and the light that I bought will be fitted at the same time. She should be good as new when I collect on Wednesday.

It turned out the bumper was actually creased when closely inspected, hence why I thought it would be best to do the job properly and not bother with a repair.

Can't wait to get it back now so I can start properly pampering it. I've been keeping it clean but I want to give it a light machine polish and get some wax on it - I just couldn't bring myself to do it when the bumper was marked!

I'll update with some pictures when I get it back.
Sorry to drag up an old topic, but what was the ballpark cost of the rear bumper and fitting if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but what was the ballpark cost of the rear bumper and fitting if you don't mind me asking?

No problem. Was around £650.00. Not cheap but it's spot on - if you didn't know it had been replaced, you wouldn't know. The guy who did it is well renowned it the VAG world and is a really nice fella.

Reactions: Wondering Soul and pburv
Thanks.

Just hit my rear bumper in a country lane. Didn't go as high as the light cluster luckily but goes right to the bottom. There's a crack/hole about a quarter inch tall along with a nice array of scratches above and below. First time I've ever damaged a car in my years so far!

Nightmare! I feel your pain. The bumpers aren't as expensive as you'd expect if you know a decent bodyshop.

**** happens at end of day!

Reactions: RS3 S.