New S3 Brake Rust

I think all of you are missing the point I am trying to make, you as a consumer can coat your discs in whatever you like. Manufacturers dont do it because it pushes up costs and is unecessary.
Why don't you wrap your car in cling film and cotton wool, then it might be okay.

deargodstop.jpg

How much was your car new A4Quattro? How much would the equivalent model be now? Don't you think that a 'premium' brand such as Audi would make sure that such a visible part was either 'enamelled or powder coated' or whatever the **** they want to do to it?

And I'm glad to hear that the rust is just cosmetic. That makes me feel so much better.

VAG ****** up because they cut corners. Again. Simple as that.

I think that some people here are getting anal about what is afterall minor surface rust which is not exactly highly visible in no way hampers the functioning of the car. If you are anal about it then paint it, if not dont worry about it and get on with your life!

example - exhaust tips are often visible an will dull and blacken over time so should the manufacturer coat them in something which will keep them looking like new?

I think this is a pointless debate.

rich1068 said:
How much was your car new A4Quattro? How much would the equivalent model be now? Don't you think that a 'premium' brand such as Audi would make sure that such a visible part was either 'enamelled or powder coated' or whatever the **** they want to do to it?

And I'm glad to hear that the rust is just cosmetic. That makes me feel so much better.

VAG ****** up because they cut corners. Again. Simple as that.

It was 28,000 or there abouts. One of the directors at my company has a Bentley GT, that also has rusty brakes. Is that not a premium brand also?

If I look uner my bonnet, both my inner CV joints also have rust on them, so what? It doesn't affect them.

Burt25 said:
I think that some people here are getting anal about what is afterall minor surface rust which is not exactly highly visible in no way hampers the functioning of the car. If you are anal about it then paint it, if not dont worry about it and get on with your life!

example - exhaust tips are often visible an will dull and blacken over time so should the manufacturer coat them in something which will keep them looking like new?

I think this is a pointless debate.

Well said, I think i'll end it here. Thanks for the heated debate, nothing personal.

Listen guys, I posted the original thread and certainly aint getting superheated over the issue as some members are, therefore I think it's time to say
:end_of_discction:

better not spend too much time out in the humid night air, you might go rusty.

Well i'm not that bothered but i will see what my dealer has to say :motz: - can't be ***** to do DIY on it. :gaehn:

WOW seems a few ppl are getting rather upset over a bit of surface rust. mine have been really bad after about 3 weeks of owning the car from brand new. so what? theres people dying in africa and theres people crying over surface rust. all im gonna do is jack car up, wheels off, and hammerite the rusty bits. job done good night.

Ive had the same problem with my last few Golf mkv's..
As Mikey says Hammerite the rusty bits and jobs a goodun.
I'll do my A3 when the sun comes out.

I've been lucky had mine 4 weeks now and so far looking good:icon_thumright:

Will be hammeriting mine this friday. will post pics up. mine have gone REALLY rusty now. Hubs are very very orange!!

Looks like cost cutting to me. My 05 A3 3.2 has a silver/zinc coating on the disc bell and the caliper. No rust yet.

IN-A3 said:
Looks like cost cutting to me. My 05 A3 3.2 has a silver/zinc coating on the disc bell and the caliper. No rust yet.

I guess the metal used on the S3s discs is at a different grade to the rest then

you're all wrong. Nearly 3000 miles and no rust. The secret being - never ever let anyone but you wash the car. And never use any acid/alkaline wheel wash. Just soap and water....

Banwell said:
The secret being - never ever let anyone but you wash the car. And never use any acid/alkaline wheel wash. Just soap and water....

Done that. Still a bit rusty...

Banwell said:
you're all wrong. Nearly 3000 miles and no rust. The secret being - never ever let anyone but you wash the car. And never use any acid/alkaline wheel wash. Just soap and water....

no, your wrong. ive had my car from brand new and NEVER let anyone wash my car but ME, and i never ever use acid based wheel cleaners. i use soapy water and wash mitt. My hubs were in a right state after 900 miles. I hammerited all 4 hubs on friday afternoon and let me tell you they were in a right mess. VERY VERY rusty. i will post pics up tommorrow.

I just took delivery of my brand new A3 Sportback last Wednesday, and all 4 brake disc bells are painted in a matt silver. The outer edge of the disc is also painted. So it looks like Audi are now painting them...

Plank said:
I just took delivery of my brand new A3 Sportback last Wednesday, and all 4 brake disc bells are painted in a matt silver. The outer edge of the disc is also painted. So it looks like Audi are now painting them...

This problems wasn't really an issue on A3s anyway. My A3 is 5 months old and didn't have the problems. It's only S3s as they have different discs.

as promised:

before:

after:

Also gave all 4 wheels a good clean on the inside and used alloy wheel protector:

staz1000 said:
This problems wasn't really an issue on A3s anyway. My A3 is 5 months old and didn't have the problems. It's only S3s as they have different discs.

I'm confused. Why would it not be a problem on A3s but it is a problem on S3s? The A3 hub bell and disc are as visible on the A3 as they are on the S3. Or are the brake discs and hubs made of different metal on the A3 (which somehow doesn't rust??!!)?

In which case why do Audi paint them?! :confused:

I don't know where staz got that from. The thread originally started as an S3 enquiry but A3 owners have posted too. Myself included.

Metal that somehow doesn't rust? Imagine the possibilities!!! lol

I said it's not really a problem on A3s. I mean compared to S3s. My car has done 6000 miles and yeah there's rust on the bell housing but nowhere near as much as on those brand new S3s. I mentioned in a post earlier that maybe they discs are made of a different grade of steel and I'm inclined to stick with that idea.

All steel discs rust eventually. Obviously with visible bell housings like on A3s it's more of an issue, but with an S3 with those gorgeous calipers it'll be even more of a concern, especially as they seem to rust a lot quicker than standard A3 ones.

If they're painting the discs now then great but are they painting the S3 ones?

Hi Mikey, Did you spray or brush on the hammerite? Also did you do any prep or go straight on to the rust?

i first went over the rust with a hard wire brush and a rust remover pad from diy store. i then used hammerite smooth with a brush. i left it over 2 days before i used the car again to ensure it was fully dry.

hi..

just washed my car and spotted this rust also on my a3 sportback that is only 2 months old....

rang my local dealer he explained they had a a few calls re this problem , when the car is built the metal is not treated or protected in any way..

But they have offered to have my car in for the day foc to rub it off and paint them over to protect them..:icon_thumright:

mine was factory built week 2, 2007, and hubs were rusting after 900 miles of driving.

i believe the thread was about s3 wheel rust? My a3 3.2 rusted really bad. the hubs are different on s3...

d3fy said:
Mikey you did all that and did not bother to paint the calipers?

i dont wanna "chav" my ride up, plus i didnt have the time to do the calipers on top of doing the hubs.

Mikey said:
WOW seems a few ppl are getting rather upset over a bit of surface rust. mine have been really bad after about 3 weeks of owning the car from brand new. so what? theres people dying in africa and theres people crying over surface rust. all im gonna do is jack car up, wheels off, and hammerite the rusty bits. job done good night.

exactly, BUT.....even worse, did you see the bit on Comic relief withe guy with only 4 or his 9 children still alive, three died of hunger, two shot dead by warring factions in a civil war, his wife raped by soldiers form BOTH sides, now her digestive system has closed down now due to malnutrition....the poor guy's life, and everyhting he holds dear is falling apart around him...?!Like it couldn't get any worse......

Then he takes his new s3 into Khartoum Audi, and they wont change his rusty brake discs either!!

cliveywolves said:
I see....:think:

When was your car built ?? Mine was factory built Nov 2006 .....

Factory build March 2007! (it was delivered less than a week ago.)

Plank said:

just got my a3 back from the dealers, they did a tidy job and painted the brake discs hubs on mine foc.....

A mate of mine has took his S3 back to the stealers about the rusty bell and they said they wont re-paint them but they will replace the discs then he can paint them himself:wtf: