New S3 8P owner - Glasgow

Muzza80

Reaction score
Another newcomer to ASN and the 4 rings here.

Just a quick post to introduce myself and my new car.

I'm Murray, I'm 33 and live in Glasgow. Petrol head through and through and my latest purchase has been my dream car for a few years now. Even after just a week of ownership the best car I've ever owned by far, love it!

A quick history of my previous 3 cars worth mentioning, the first one was actually Paulie's (im sure you all know here on here) and the others all bought standard and modified by myself.

1. Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #353 - list of mods longer than your arm and running around 310bhp & 340 lb/ft- Paulie's old car and I added a few bits.

DSC02294-1.jpg~original

2. Ford Focus ST3 -Again huge spec, will list it all if anyone's interested, running 300bhp & 352 lb/ft - loved this car!

017-1.jpg~original

3. Subaru Impreza WRX "Hawkeye" - my first AWD motor, loved it, did tonnes to it, would have another (as a second car) any day! Running 290bhp & 355 lb/ft.

1-6_zpsa845f77f.jpg~original

And of course most importantly my new 2010 Audi S3 Sportback TFSI Quattro Black Edition

62daa60c-5103-4bfd-a8b9-d157deda1bc1_zps8c96ae9f.jpg~original

c9a7c962-c36c-487f-8b8b-b11d98b7f6d9_zps6c13afac.jpg~original

791ce060-8f49-4219-9fbc-f2ae9892dba7_zpsad7c2cd7.jpg~original

0039ac06-f9da-424a-b727-400ec6ae0c63_zps18d4d8ea.jpg~original

80a095ca-95fe-419a-bc7d-a4503188cff4_zps44634e61.jpg~original

305d9504-84d2-4bba-bb2b-1c5b63855f98_zps9628bfb0.jpg~original

98147d82-4450-40c1-9240-507b09dd1a13_zps5fb9c7e1.jpg~original

b8459c5f-c868-4867-bd52-a1ed34a08347_zps7ea95f66.jpg~original

So there she is, what a car I'm very very impressed and to be honest I've pretty much promised myself I'm not going to spend a fortune on modifying this one! again! (we will see lol) Seriously though, I don't think it needs much doing, it's a very well rounded car which I guess you would expect from a premium brand like Audi.

I love track days, try and get to Knockhill for a few a year although I'm not one for turning a perfectly good road car (that's my daily drive at the end of the day) into a harsh track spec beast so it's usually been a nice damper and spring upgrade, arbs, brakes etc. I did have Quaife differentials fitted to both the Astra and Focus as they needed it, the Scooby didn't and as far as I can tell so far I don't think it will be an essential for the S3. I was at the Nurburgring in the Focus last year and that was no doubt my best experience yet, plan to get the S3 there next year too all going well.

Things I will be doing though:

Remap, ARB'S, upgraded pads, fluid, Audi roof rail's, RNSE and maybe a nice set of 19" Anthracite BBS CK for summer leaving the current wheels for winter with winter tyres I have in storage.
I think the stock dampers/springs feel pretty good for OEM but I'll on that after its first track day in a few weeks.

Anyway that's me, my previous cars and the new S3.

Looking forward to learning another car from the ground up, I'm always impressed by the amount of useful advice and help you get on forums and from a week of being on here I can see ASN is exactly the same, brilliant.

Cheers!

:)

Last edited:
Welcome Muzza80,
nice motor mate, why don't you pop down to Moffat ASN meet tomorrow and show it some more, you can catch up with some of us guys. And also have a word with Brodster re a remap, he also has an S3 and does a great SHARK remap.
See Scottish thread for Meeting details, some of us are meeting up at Cairnlodge Services around 11am.
JG

Cheers mate.

I'd have loved to come but unfortunately working at 1:30pm, I was speaking to Jacko about that yesterday, gutted.

I'll catch you on the next one no doubt.

That's a bummer mate, work always gets in the way of a social life, lol! Awe well needs must I suppose, I also work some weekends, so I know how you feel.
Hopefully catch up with you at the next meet, don't work tooooooooooo hard mate. :salute:

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Nice car. Enjoy the forum. :) x

I have added you to members list, for local meets click the link below. :) x

Scotland

Reactions: Muzza80
Just a quick update to let you know what I've been doing over the last few weeks.

Firstly I fitted a 2011 RNSE MK2 LED unit in place of the Symphony 2+, great unit im really impressed with it and the screen is lovely.

I also got sick of the crap radio reception after fitting it (a problem on the later cars due to the different antenna setup) and modified the antenna setup properly to diversity (as comes standard on the later S3 with RNSE from the factory) with two new boosters and a custom loom, total cost just under £100 but well worthwhile mod. More details here: 8P - Solution for the Symphony II+ to RNS-E Antenna Issue | VAGOC.co.uk

Then I took the car to Mark (Brodster) for a Shark Performance stage 1 remap. Very impressed with the map, very progressive but huge increase in mid-range torque and it holds the boost right to the redline now. Very nice and just what I was after. Marks a good guy too, recommended to anyone :)

Fitted a GFB DV+ to replace the revision D standard part which was leaking boost badly. Nice little modification which seems to improves spool time a little between gear changes and obviously is stronger than the standard part.

Also fitted a Creations Motorsport short shift, itl's an exact copy of the Neuspeed one for £65 and I can not tell you what an amazing improvement this has made, get one!

Changed fog bulbs for the Phillips xenon effect but not sold on them, quite blue compared to the DRL's and I think I'll be removing them soon.

Fitted Conti Winter Contact TS810p tyres all round, always run winter tyres on my cars, often got my 18 month old in the car and do long journeys up to Inverness and back so it pays to have that but more grip when it's icy or there's snow coming down.

Finally had the car into Gordon @ Defined Details in Glasgow for a deep clean and winter protection detail. He used Polished Angel - Viking Shield which is a new sealant in the range designed for Scandinavian winters and should see me 6 months protection right through the winter with only a snowfoam and jetwash required, very low maintenance.

So only plans in the immediate future are to have the genuine Sportback roof rails I sourced fitted, maybe the Revo PCV revamp kit fitted as a precation and I quite fancy an RS3 grille and rear diffuser.

Power wise it's fine for now, will re-assess that after the winter when track season starts again.

s3 looks smart mate how does it compare to the burg - mates just bought 1 - not really a fan of teh astras but they sound decent,,.

s3 looks smart mate how does it compare to the burg - mates just bought 1 - not really a fan of teh astras but they sound decent,,.

Hi mate, cheers.

I loved the Astra, really did, so much fun to drive (after a lot of mods, diff, bbk, arbs, suspension), lovely seats, made a lovely noise and went like stink, there's something about them I still really like and bang for buck they're a great buy now (not the burg but a normal VXR can be had for cheap these days)

The S3 is a different league though, far more refined yet exceptionally quick, exceptional build quality more grown up and practical (I have an 18 month old son) and it was a car I've always dreamed of owning. I never tended to keep my cars more than a year before but the S3 I can see me hanging on to for a long time. The tuning potential is a big plus for me too, no real weak points bar the clutch, pretty easy to get them to close to 400 bhp which should keep me interested long term.

yer the remus on them is awesome aint it - but im afraid i wouldnt swap my s3 for 1