New S3 (8P) Gearknob

****** prefacelifts lol.

Thought thats what id need todo, any particular glue you used gops?

Sorry for the late reply mate, I just used super glue! I couldnt find anything else and tbh, i couldnt be bothered to get anything and wanted to fit it asap because im super impatient lol! But it worked a treat! I'll take a pic of mine 2moro when its in 6th so you can see. it stretches but it doesnt restrict any gears

Bringing up an old thread here, are there different part numbers for different colour stitching? In my head I'm saying yes...if so, what's the part number for knob with red stitching?

Here's mine. it's been in for a while now.

Sorry about poor picture.

I didn't use new gaitor as I felt that new leather and baseball stitching doesn't match the plain Black (and worn in) Recaro leathers.

It's a lovely touch though and i far better than the old ones.

4048-img-1125-large.jpg

Year looks brilliant. Those mats are awsome too!!

So anyone no the part number? Or how do I go about finding it?

It does, but the gaitor doesnt fit properly, is very tight at the front.

I changed the gaitors over and used the original one especially as was in good condition, was a quick simple job. Feels and looks so much better.

Hi all I have recently purchased the 8p S3 Gearknob and Gaiter surround, I spent a while trying to find the part number only only to find there is a new part number for it!
Thought I would post it up here so it would be easy for people to find when using the search,
Audi do it with Red stitching on the gaiter or White, I will be using the Original gaiter surround so wasn't to bothered on colour of the stitching

This is the number for white stitching: 8P0 863 278 CC SZN

The price is �61.87 +Vat Hope this helps a few people out.

Cheers Matt
hi mate,you say you are using your original gaiter?will the one that comes with the knob not fit,or is that just preference?il buy one but will want the one with red stitching if I can be fit?

If you have a read through the whole thread you will see that many have fitted the new gaiter, think its a tight fit but is possible

Yup - when i did mine the NEW 8P plastic base bezel thing is a different shape to the older 8L shape.......so you have to undo the staples holding the gaiter to the base.........then fit the new leather over the old base.....i didnt bother re-stapling or gluing or anything.

so you have old base, new leather, new knob.............and looks schweet!!!!! :D well worth doing!

If you have a read through the whole thread you will see that many have fitted the new gaiter, think its a tight fit but is possible

Great job.

Or...just take the knob off, use old gaitor, sell new gaitor on eBay and bobs your uncle.

These S3 Gear Knobs look absolutely brilliant but the question I have is whether they fit the 8L model and whether they are able to be used on the 5 speed variants like the 1.6 and 1.8? (obviously it will still say 6th gear but you just can't select it).

the 8p definitely fits the 8L.....this thread shows it and i have done it also......NB the difference mentioned on the gaiter though.

the knob should have no effect on 5 or 6 gears........it is literally just a knob.

Reactions: TA3
awesome stuff! Thank you for clearing that up :)

Does anyone have a good condition (unscuffed leather/ chrome ring) standard s3 knob kicking around?.
I prefer the original to the 8p s3 knob, however mines showin 85ks worth of grabbing now.

Ha! Well spotted! Bit weird there's pics of my knob floating around the internet...

Bringing up a (somewhat) old thread here, sorry for that (not to mention that my issue is somewhat a bit off-topic for this thread). To the question:

I bought a used S3 8P with a manual gearbox, and the top disc of the gear knob (where the h-pattern is) is rotated a bit to the right. However, it doesn't seem to be the entire gear knob that's in the wrong position since the S3 logo is exactly where it should be, so only the position of the h-pattern disc has been changed. (See picture below).

So now I wonder:
1) Why and how would anyone do this? Just because you can and someone might think it's funny?

2) How do I put it so that it's the right way around? Can I just remove it e.g. with a knife, rotate it to point in the right direction, and fit it with some glue? And in this case, does the knife go under the black disc or under the red ring (I didn't really have the balls to try that much, since it seems to be quite fragile).

And moderators, feel free to move this to another thread in case my questions are too off-topic for this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0192.JPG
    DSC_0192.JPG
    727.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
9 years later I have followed suit. :thumbs up:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204_143637.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204_143637.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 186
Anybody’s started to wear, mines very slightly losing it’s shine