New S1 Owner - Questions from this newbie

allycooke

Reaction score
Been about a month since I picked up a 2017 Audi S1 - Mythos Black with Sat Nav, Bose and Heated Seats as options. Completely stock (afaik), but so quick you can be forgiven for thinking it must have more than 230bhp. 50k miles, first job was haldex, brake fluid and gearbox fluid change. Next (bigger) job, will be a new clutch and DMF as it's juddering first/reverse on-cold and feels quite clunky on gear changes. Gear stick seems to move about a bit under power - do they all do that? should I be worried?

also tyres, oh my, for 225/35/18 I can only find a choice of Bridgestone S001, Continental SP5 (no option for the new SP7 tyres that I can see) and Michelin Super-sport which ok is fine during summer and on-track but I'd like something more year-round please. I imagine the car would've had Conti's when new. Currently it's running on 4 completely different ditch finders, new but they need to come off but they send me off. :)

any views on whether the car handles better on 17" wheels and such opens up the tyre choice (and price point)

Nice options, go for the super sports IMO, I love them on mine, they are very nippy but I suppose it depends on what your used to

Reactions: allycooke
Been about a month since I picked up a 2017 Audi S1 - Mythos Black with Sat Nav, Bose and Heated Seats as options. Completely stock (afaik), but so quick you can be forgiven for thinking it must have more than 230bhp. 50k miles, first job was haldex, brake fluid and gearbox fluid change. Next (bigger) job, will be a new clutch and DMF as it's juddering first/reverse on-cold and feels quite clunky on gear changes. Gear stick seems to move about a bit under power - do they all do that? should I be worried?

also tyres, oh my, for 225/35/18 I can only find a choice of Bridgestone S001, Continental SP5 (no option for the new SP7 tyres that I can see) and Michelin Super-sport which ok is fine during summer and on-track but I'd like something more year-round please. I imagine the car would've had Conti's when new. Currently it's running on 4 completely different ditch finders, new but they need to come off but they send me off. :)

any views on whether the car handles better on 17" wheels and such opens up the tyre choice (and price point)
Get the tyres sorted before it kills the diff more importantly. Did you clean the gauze when you did the haldex oil?

No need to swap to 17s, if cost is a problem don't put it on a track! I have Sport Contact 5s on mine from the factory - great tyre, they wear quick but there's a reason for that. Wet performance is great too. I'd really like PS4/PS5 but they don't do the size sadly. Cars in 2017 could have had Bridgestones or Contis from factory - whatever you do DON'T fit Bridgestones, utterly terrible tyres.

Gear change can be a bit notchy and probably just needs the linkage/cables adjusting which is straight forward. Others have reported the issue you have with a wobbly nob :D, IIRC it's the bushings on the gear lever, replacement required for that. As an aside fit a 4tech short shifter, makes a big difference to gear change feel (plus some solid bushings if yours are tired)

Welcome and enjoy it, they are a really really underrated car.

Thanks Phazer for the tips on tyres and gears. Sounds like Conti's are the go to tyre.

I'll get the clutch and DMF done and look at the gearbox adjustments. The gearbox oil we took out looked pretty clean (v.v.little particles) for a 50k mile car.

On the haldex oil it was filthy, but no we didn't change the (filter?) gauze - is there one on these types of Haldex system - it's Gen 5 on the S1 me thinks?

On the haldex oil it was filthy, but no we didn't change the (filter?) gauze - is there one on these types of Haldex system - it's Gen 5 on the S1 me thinks?
Yes it's a Gen5 on the S1 with different software in the controller over say an S3 or TTS.

It's not a replaceable filter and it's not part of the published servicing, hence Audi don't do it but when changing the oil it's a good idea to remove the pump and remove the crap from the gauze. It makes the pump work harder than necessary and will ultimately cause it to fail.

Here's my own car at 3 years and less than 5k miles (yeah I know :D), you'll note how clean the oil is, it's still yellow but there's loads of gunk (probably clutch material) on there. Yours is likely to be much worse if its never been done.

Reactions: allycooke and Mr Freeze
thanks Phazer, even better with that pic :icon thumright:

I'm minded, despite the cost of Haldex (or in fact any oil these days) to flush it again, so will be a good chance to check the guaze in the pump. As mentioned the haldex that came out had obvs never been changed it from new it was very dark green from all the haldex clutch wear and tear.

Reactions: Phazer
thanks Phazer, even better with that pic :icon thumright:

I'm minded, despite the cost of Haldex (or in fact any oil these days) to flush it again, so will be a good chance to check the guaze in the pump. As mentioned the haldex that came out had obvs never been changed it from new it was very dark green from all the haldex clutch wear and tear.
Have been concerned about similar issues regarding Haldex Gen5 maintenance,
This website has all I needed to successfully complete the service that Audi choose not to offer.
Note the requirement for the vital pump "Learn" process which needs the correct kit!!

haldexrepairs.co.uk/generation-5-haldex-fault-finding-repair-guide/

Little update on mine: New Continentals fitted (and relax), new Sachs Uprated Clutch and DMF done. My left leg will soon be like Arnie Schwarzneggers, but already it's transformed the way the car drives.

As ever you find something new about your car when you get under the hood. The car had a unreceipted RCS paddle clutch fitted but with the original DMF. Everything looks to have got hot, too hot in fact hence the horrible juddering a low speeds.

But pleased to report it's now all buttoned up nicely, no more wobbly gear knob or movement under power and yep the gear selector / linkages were well off. My mechanic reported a number of missing, snapped and finger tight bolts so he was not surprised to hear the gear changes were like waving a drumstick around in the albert hall.

Feels like a brand new 6 year old car now. here's to many happy motoring miles ahead. off to the gym now, need to work the right leg so I don't look off-balance :laughing: