New RS3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Today's Auto Express magazine shows a' spy shot' of what it claims to be the new RS3 caught testing near Ingolstadt. It says that whilst the car's existance is not in doubt, secrecy surrounds the engine that will be used. One option is to use an uprated version of the Golf R32's V6 which could be easily tuned to give 350bhp. The other alternative Audi has is to modify the 420bhp V8 found in the RS4.

It also says that the the RS3 is being developed by Audi's Sport division, the team responsible for the S4 and RS4 and that the price tag for the RS3 will be around £38,000.

Start saving now !

Can you post a scan?

£38k for a hatchback!!

RS4 mota wont fit full stop so thats twaddle, R32 wont easily produce 350hp without major heat problems. My bet if it ever happens (which it wont) would be the 3.6 from the new Passat which shares the Golf mk5/A3 engine compartment.

Thanks!

Looks great, not so sure about the S3 wheels.

If the rumours about the R36 are true, then I'd expect the RS3 to have a similar sized engine.

At £38k, I don't think you'll see to many on the roads... (apart from mine)

[ QUOTE ]
If the rumours about the R36 are true, then I'd expect the RS3 to have a similar sized engine.

At £38k, I don't think you'll see to many on the roads... (apart from mine)

[/ QUOTE ]

mine too!

I have a deposit down on the S3 due in November. With these new spy pics one wonders just how long I'll have the S3 for..

hmmm the article is a bit suspect. In it it says that the new S3 will only have 240bhp ????? How can they bring an S car out with a lower bhp than the current range topper 3.2 ?

The RS3 will be a ground breaking legend for hot hatches that the old RS4 was for estates if it's ever released.

I shall possibly be passing Ingolstadt on my way to Austria in June. I'll let you know if I see anything that looks like an RS3 !

[ QUOTE ]
RS4 mota wont fit full stop so thats twaddle, R32 wont easily produce 350hp without major heat problems. My bet if it ever happens (which it wont) would be the 3.6 from the new Passat which shares the Golf mk5/A3 engine compartment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently the 3.6 from the Passat will not fit the Golf.

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=62562&highlight=engine

BTW, anyone notice that the front spoiler of the S3 is just like in the yellow illustration in the other thread? not black like those spy pics.

Should be good.

Most RS Audis have the honeycomb grille. The pic in AutoExpress doesn't. The shape of the front bumber is very similar to the yellow S3 spy shots, but no front fog lights?

I'm still not convinced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Most RS Audis have the honeycomb grille. The pic in AutoExpress doesn't. The shape of the front bumber is very similar to the yellow S3 spy shots, but no front fog lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

The shape of the bumper is like one step further than the S3 IMO, it's bigger, more in your face.

I dunno about the grille. But I'm sure it will changed to the honeycomb one, they can't really leave it as is. Especially given the S3 will have the chrome grille.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not convinced either. The A3 range will have a real problem with introducing more so-called Halo models, because the standard 3.2 Quattro is fast and expensive enough for most people, and with the S3 due later this year - with similar kind of power - where does that leave the RS3?

I'm sure Audi would not produce a model if they did not think there was a market for it. Perhaps not in the UK but I think it would sell the required number in Germany.

If they release an RS3 with 350bhp then I'm sure it will sell. It might take sales away from their other ranges though. Not sure how much an S4 is but an RS3 might be an alternative to something like that.