New Review A3 1.5 Edition 1

Audi1966

Reaction score
Hi

Just thought I would write a quick review of the car as I have had it for awhile now and might be able to confirm a few things, some you know of, and some might be new!

Right lets start with the overall view....it`s not a bad car, but it is like a newsreader....you only see the quality from the waist up!...and the Audi from the waist down is not the best.

Ok the car is standard Editon 1 spec, no added extras needed as the car is about right for `price Vrs value`...it cost just over £33k.

Let`s start outside....the car in any config looks good, and will make a few people take a longer look.....the style of the outside is pretty near perfect, maybe a full light bar at the rear would have been nice!
The wheels look very smart and fit the car well at 19" rims.....but the car does ride better on 18" and is a better fit for this chassis and wheelbase....the 18`s would probably be better if the car was lowered by 30mm....you would then have `the look` and the better ride!.
Staying on the outside I expected more from the wing mirror ...why not match the front indicator sweep as in the previous models!!??....apart from the audable sound I do not have a visual indication on the mirror!!!...small thing but can help (maybe the blindspot indication caused confusion!)
The outside is a step forward, the inside however.....

Ok first up annoying things....apart from the obvious reflections from the piano finish I have to say the reflection from the `cut out` above the drive dials is very very poor....I look through my windowscreen on a sunny day and all I can see is the odd cut out shape from the dashboard in my direct view!!!!...this should have been flat....the reflection is a poor design and pointless.
Build quality inside is to the eye...pleasing....but go below and it all gets very cheap.....as we know part of Audi`s way maybe of cost cutting....shame as it is known as a premium brand, and should contain the materials to show this....it falls short.
The dashboard is clear, dials are nice and clear in all weather, as too is the centre MMI screen....but it is a real pain in the backside to work whilst driving....bring back that centre jog wheel....plus the screen is quite low and not something you would use too much whilst driving on a busy road....but its crisp and works well....unlike other owners here I have not had any issues with the MMI, carplay is fine, the car has 2 usb-c type slots, this is the newer 21` minor change, along with software.
I also have 3 pages on my homescreen layout.....the 3rd page shows a 3 way slice of the phone/media/navigation.
Carplay worked wireless first time.
(now I have mentioned my car is fine I expect it to start throwing a mental on me now!!!)
The Audi app needs a major overhall, it can give false information and works everytime a comet passes over!!!.....I think the app is more designed for the e-tron series, with upgrades via monthly purchases for different features for these electric models.....hard to activate something in a petrol car that does not have the hardware fitted, yet its easy to send someone a `headlight pattern pack` to an e-tron (although I expect the matrix lights to get these packs when Audi get it together!)

In general the interior is the newsreader part.....and that is the shame because 80% of the car is superb.....the lower materials and the door panels could have also been better.

Ok some quick stuff I found out along the way......
Headlight cleaning - put the cars lights to `fog lights(middle button)...then push the wiper lever forward......it should blast some water over the headlights for you!...they use the same water tank as your windowscreen.
Turn off lane assist.....start the car, then push and hold the button for 5 secs at the end of the indicator lever....this will deactivate lane assist.....when you turn the engine off it will default back to on, there is no way at present to deactivate it permantely either via this button or MMI.
you can however deactivate the pre-sense braking via the MMI, this is manual so will remain in this position until you change it.
Would also be nice if you could select different folders via the steering wheel buttons for media, otherwise you are stuck in one music folder unless you mess about in the MMI...you could put all 1,000 songs in one folder, but scrolling through that lot is a pain.

Overall the car is `different`....the ECU is ...well let`say it gets in the way of the car, throttle response is slow at best sometimes!... I had the previous model the 8V....and for the first few weeks in the new A3 it felt like the car was driving me!.... it`s not so bad now as if you work `with` the car...it is a decent drive, but the 8V had more bite.

Any questions, images etc then feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading,

Reactions: DreamInCode
Thanks for the review, I have one on order. Is this a manual or automatic gearbox, I am getting a manual.

Thanks for the review, I have one on order. Is this a manual or automatic gearbox, I am getting a manual.
The car is manual, on the whole the gearbox is pretty good as usual from Audi, although the change from 1st - 2nd is a bit lumpy!..this I believe is the engine that causes this from a cold start.
Another few things I forgot to mention that might be helpful...... when the car is parked then sit back and watch a video on the MMi....it will show a full screen image of any mp4 files....great if you have to sit outside whilst the missus does the shopping!

Probably for me the biggest change is `letting go` and trusting the car more, hence why I have the manual version......I have always had manual cars, I always felt in tune and in touch with the car, having to do something made me feel connected.....I come from the 80`s era of cars, and back then seamless was something you got with a knitting needle!!....they were crap at best!......nowdays and automatic shifts without you feeling it.....so automation has been around for years.
So when you throw in automatic braking, steering, headlights, wipers...etc etc ...then it does not leave much for the driver to do....and for me it took a few days to get used to...but it makes you feel safer and also its the future, so better get used to it .....as per it can all be turned off if you wish.
The lane assist is something that is ok but not the best system...it simply bounces you off the road markings and fights with you on occasions when you want to overtake or change lanes, using your indicators becomes a must!!!!....as it should ;-) .....but it will save lives.
I have had traffic lights come up on the dash, plus a green foot peddle icon......the traffic light system is something Audi use in a trial in America, it simply lets you know that the oncoming traffic lights are due to change, and will alert you to slow down or speed up so when you arrive at the light its green!!....it requires the highways to work with the car company......the green peddle icon is fuel eco I believe......but to be fair I ignore most of the stuff that pops up and just drive the car...as long as its moving I am fine with that!
The pre-sense braking.....caught me out when I moved between two parked cars to let a van past, as I pulle out of the gap the car suddenly felt like it slammed the electronic handbrake on...or I had curbed the car!.....I ignore it now but it can be quite a surprise.

The car at night time simply comes to life, the interior looks like you have spent 30grand wisely, the rear lighting makes it better for passengers...because of the built in front headrests it can appear dark in the back....talking of the back, it is pretty bland even at Edition1 level, no usb`s and no 12v,,,,just a twin air vent!.....you will need the sound/comfort pack for these features...or do it yourself with usb hub extenders and trim tools.
Also you are given two free puddle lights, should you purchase extra ones for the rear you might find the rears harder to do, on both my rear doors the wire for the puddle light was way to short, even removing the light from the door can pull this wire out!....it might have just been my build, but removing the rear door panels was the only way....these extra puddle lights are £120 from Audi, or around 20-50 quid a pair on fleabay, make sure you get the ones with the smaller fitting and is for your A3 8Y 2020/21 model. in my opinion all of these puddle lights should have been fitted on all doors as standard for this model range, also the rings on the exterior should have also been black along with the model lettering......I removed the lettering but have left it with chrome rings, I have black ones to fit but I will do that after I have got bored with the chrome look!!....silly but true!.....The car looks so good out the box there is not too much you can do to improve it!!!

Hopefully now the covid restrictions are lifting the crew at Audi will start producing stable software updates for those suffering issues with the MMI and warning lights that do random things.

Great write up bud! Pretty much agree with everything you said!

Love the comparison to a newsreader

£33k for a manual 1-5 litre edition 1 l recall 6 years ago the S3 started at that price...anyway biggest problem of the 8Y if you can overlook the styling...is... all this piano black plastic and cheaper materials used goes right up the model designation ladder....that can't be changed
How can anyone sat in a 8Y S3 costing upwards of £45k not notice this...even worse... and it gets worse...imagine you sat in a £55k plus 8Y RS3 "arriving soon" how could anyone justify parting with this amount of money....is beyond me ...

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

£33k for a manual 1-5 litre edition 1 l recall 6 years ago the S3 started at that price...anyway biggest problem of the 8Y if you can overlook the styling...is... all this piano black plastic and cheaper materials used goes right up the model designation ladder....that can't be changed
How can anyone sat in a 8Y S3 costing upwards of £45k not notice this...even worse... and it gets worse...imagine you sat in a £55k plus 8Y RS3 "arriving soon" how could anyone justify parting with this amount of money....is beyond me ...

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
I totally agree with the Piano Black - They've put nothing else in this space which is now much larger due to the Gear Selector - I would have preferred they kept the S-Tronic Gear Stick

They removed the manual handbrake in the 8V to make room for the MMI Wheel and I totally got that and it works - Now you have the Gear selector, + Park Button, the Volume Control and Start Button leaving a large expanse of Black Plastic - They have even taken the Hold Assist button away leaving just the Handbrake button which I don't get - I know a lot of people don't touch it but I do when putting the car in the garage - Fortunately I have it in my favourites tab but still a faff compared to just pressing the button (There is room for it)

I totally agree with the Piano Black - They've put nothing else in this space which is now much larger due to the Gear Selector - I would have preferred they kept the S-Tronic Gear Stick

They removed the manual handbrake in the 8V to make room for the MMI Wheel and I totally got that and it works - Now you have the Gear selector, + Park Button, the Volume Control and Start Button leaving a large expanse of Black Plastic - They have even taken the Hold Assist button away leaving just the Handbrake button which I don't get - I know a lot of people don't touch it but I do when putting the car in the garage - Fortunately I have it in my favourites tab but still a faff compared to just pressing the button (There is room for it)
The center console is bare looking l don't like the Zippo styled gear selector either
I remember when the 8v was first launched it was available with 4 different leather coverings ok 2 where options alloy wheel options = 3
Go over to the German configurator and you can individually choose to add more options to your Edition 1 or S3 etc etc Audi UK are taking the **** out of prospective buyers over here they say its because of the WLTP regs my **** it is on a new TTS you have still 4 options of seat coverings to choose from 3 different equipment levels the 8Y has been a disaster for the UK buyers from the start
To me its says ah well them in the UK will buy the 8Y no matter what mainly because of the reputation the previous models had_have 8P,8v,8v face lift

Reactions: Sparks43
They have even taken the Hold Assist button away leaving just the Handbrake button which I don't get - I know a lot of people don't touch it but I do when putting the car in the garage - Fortunately I have it in my favourites tab but still a faff compared to just pressing the button (There is room for it)
I agree with you about the lack of a physical Hold Assist button bring inconvenient . When you say you've put a shortcut in the favourites tab, is that the CAR > Favourite menu (still 3 or 4 button presses to get to), or have you found a quicker way? (Asking hopefully.)

I agree with you about the lack of a physical Hold Assist button bring inconvenient . When you say you've put a shortcut in the favourites tab, is that the CAR > Favourite menu (still 3 or 4 button presses to get to), or have you found a quicker way? (Asking hopefully.)
Home button and swipe to the favourites tab and it’s in there - that’s assuming you have the favourites tile on your MMI - still a couple of presses though

hope that helps

Reactions: AdamInKent
Home button and swipe to the favourites tab and it’s in there - that’s assuming you have the favourites tile on your MMI - still a couple of presses though

hope that helps
Great, thanks, found it :icon thumright: And then, if you put the Favourites tab/button onto the Shortcut bar, you can get there quicker still (one button press to get to the Hold Assist toggle).

Last edited:
Great, thanks, found it :icon thumright: And then, if you put the Favourites tab/button onto the Shortcut bar, you can get there quicker still (one button press to get to the Hold Assist toggle).
Excellent thanks for that, never thought of it - I'll do that next time

Reactions: AdamInKent
It saddens me to have given back the edition 1 saloon I had. With the tech issues and no SLA of when the fix will be out for the MMI issues.. Audi were very co operative in taking the car back and returning me into the financial position I was in before the purchase.
Since then I’ve now moved onto the S3 8V and eagerly anticipate collection on Wednesday.

Ive given myself a year before I upgrade to the S3 8Y and would hope any issues by then have been ironed out.