New rear wiper motor fitted

Gaz78

Reaction score
I suffered with the common issue of the rear wiper motor failing due to water getting into it.

So I ordered from eBay an aftermarket one for £26 delivered (a genuine Valeo unit is around £60.00). Now apparently some have had issues with the aftermarket versions of the original valeo make motor. But I have to be honest and say mine works perfect and is quiet (Apparently some have had excessively noisy motors).

Anyway, it's a dead easy job to do, and here's how I did it:

1) Lift the plastic cover on the wiper arm which covers the washer jets and nut holding it all in place to the rear screen. The jets will just pull off (May need to grip them with pliers), and then undo the nut.

2) Remove the wiper arm.....you may be able to just wriggle it off but they can be seized on. I bought a £7 eBay wiper arm removal tool, which makes it extremely easy to pull off.

3) Inside the boot there's 2 screws in the plastic trim on the boot lid to undo. These are in the recess where you hold to pull the lid closed . Undo them then pull the plastic trim down and it will release from the boot lid.

4) Unclip the wire plastic connector on the side of the valeo wiper motor, and Unclip the hose on the motor for your washers.

5) Undo the 3 bolts holding the motor in place.

6) Remove and reinstall new motor.....simples!

I would double check your jets are clear before pushing them back on the wiper arm. Easy to do by pushing a small pin through them. You can also adjust the angle of them when the pin is in there. Also worth checking your fuse hasn't blown for the motor (prob worth checking first before buying a new motor!). It's fuse number 41 and is a blue 15amp. The fuses are on the right side of the dash next to your steering wheel. You will need to open your drivers door and will see the small black cover for the fuses.

Hope that helps someone.

Gaz

Reactions: maxpayne
You’re lucky the eBay deal worked out. In my case it was too noisy and ended up getting the Valeo one.

Yeh maybe i have just been lucky but definitly no complaints with it. Personally for how easy it is to replace I was happy to "risk" an aftermarket one, but if it was no good I would of returned it and got a valeo/Bosch one. But at the moment I'm up best part of £40 :icon thumright:

See how it lasts I suppose!

Gaz

Had chance to add some pics for anyone looking at doing it:

Tools needed - T25 torx bit, 10mm and 13mm socket, also pliers and wiper arm puller just to help although not necessary. (The silicone was used as a preventative measure to stop any further water ingress onto the wiper motor. This is usually the cause of them failing.)
20190308 105742 1024x1365

Remove the plastic cover on the wiper arm, which has the nut and washer jets under it. The cover just clips off. Then pull the washer jets off (May need your pliers for this)
20190308 101224 1024x1365

Undo the 13mm nut on the wiper arm, then use your puller to take the arm off
20190308 101428 1024x1365

Inside the boot locate 2 t25 torx screws in the recess you hold to shut the boot and remove them.
20190308 100542 1024x1365

Pull trim down sharply and remove. It will be tight as there are 4 metal retaining clips holding it up.
20190308 142508 1024x584

Then you will see the wiper motor. The electrical connector and washer hose on it need disconnecting.
20190308 100945 1024x1365

Then undo the three 10mm nuts and simply remove.
20190308 100836 1024x768

Fitting is just the reverse.
Hope this makes it an easier task for someone!

Gaz

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon50s
This is the rubber grommet I put a small amount of silicone on to prevent water ingress. Again you don't have to do this but I just wanted to cover all angles! It's better to use clear silicone but I had run out :whistle2:
20190308 102103 1024x768
20190308 102421 1024x1365
20190308 102535 1024x768

80698C59 F5CE 4307 A8CA 05250BD7267C
DD6F01D9 3952 4B37 AAF3 F7D1712F1014
Great write-up and glad to hear that your eBay wiper motor has worked out!
I’ve got a very similar puller and have found it invaluable in getting the rear wiper arms off!
Am not entirely convinced though by your use of silicone sealant ; it’s my understanding that the motor fails because the pipe carrying washer fluid through the body of the motor itself corrodes and allows water to get into all sorts of places it oughtn’t to be and in time kills it.
After my wiper died for fun I dismantled the old one and it was right mess inside, a few pics are attached.
Interestingly you can get a rebuild kit comprising a new washer tube and gear mechanism for some of the VAG model rear wiper motors, I repaired the rear wiper motor of my old B5 A4 Avant this way , though no such kit appears to be available for the A3.....

Reactions: Gaz78
When checking my motor there was definitely a small amount of water ingress which looked like it was coming through the rubber grommet, but I could be wrong (don't think I am though :tongueclosed:). I also took my motor apart which looked like the identical twin to yours.....it was a right mess!

Maybe I picked up on another issue with the water in, that isn't the actual issue for these failing??? Either way that silicone isn't letting anything through :tearsofjoy:

Gaz

Just want to say thanks for the great right up.

Followed and all done within 40 mins. Only damage was a scratch to my finger pulling the inner boot trim. I'll take that!

Thanks again

FYI its not water ingress around the windscreen that’s causes the water to get inside, it’s the pole travelling through the shaft to give water for the rear washer that leaks internally.

Frequently this is accentuated by a partially or fully blocked washer nozzle - increasing the pressure when rear windscreen water is demanded...

I usually use the wiper when it rains.is it a good idea to disconnect water pipe and block it..that way no more rusty motor so many rusty motors here.bottle of water if I really need to clean it.

Seems to be a common weakness on the Audi. Having had to change my motor wiper after it burnt out, I’ve stopped using it with washer fluid and now only use it when raining. Hopefully no longer an issue with new A3’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Infrequent use blocks the jets and they never get cleaned out.

Reactions: Simon50s
Nice little HowTo. You should also smear the wiper spindle with copper grease to aid future removal. If you never have to remove it again, a future owner down the line will be thanking you.

Got a new £30 motor.which has worked.not connected the water..the water got into the electrics of old one.not sure how people renovate their old ones .there is an opening in the motor body that lets water in the plug ..I was lucky didn't need a puller came off easily .not sure some are on so hard.im sure mine was first time off so factory tight..cheers all