new R32 and new clio 197 sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Well, i have just been in a duel with the above two.....the R32 didnt bother opening up fully (either that or he was a **** driver)..... and I held the 197 off until i hit 70:racer:... then he pulled out:haha:...and slowly took me.....:sob:

******:sos:

I have been holding off the remap, preferring to pay money off my mortgage owing to the current climate of things.... dont think i can hold off much longer though:keule:.....i probably lost at the end due to running out of boost (im not the most knowledgable so feel free to correct me)...... just cant help but think that things may have been slightly different:undwech: if id have had the custom coding hehe

talk some sense into me!!!!!

Remap is a must have for any S3 mate, I definately think if your car had been remapped it would have been a different outcome.

Doooooooo it :) Ring custom code asap lol

If you had the remap the clio would of been long gone.

Remap will definately be worth it

People thinking that you'll be beating 192's are dreaming tho they're quick cars - you'll keep up, but doubt that you'll be doing any more

Considering your s3 came out firstly in circa 1999 and the 192 is a 2006/2007 i think it's doing well

Remap will definately be worth it

People thinking that you'll be beating 192's are dreaming tho they're quick cars - you'll keep up, but doubt that you'll be doing any more

Considering your s3 came out firstly in circa 1999 and the 192 is a 2006/2007 i think it's doing well

I thought the 182 cup was the quickest of the lot? Didn't know they made a 192 but the 197 is slower than the 182 cup...

Yeah i mixed myself up i meant 197 - a 197 cup should be as quick as the 182

Its cool I noticed you corrected yourself. The 197 is a good 200kg's heavier than the 182. Its defo not quicker :)

Not the 197 cup, anyway that's slightly irrelevant as the difference will be minimal, what im saying is that a remapped s3 is doing well to keep up with either

Ive gotta be perfectly honest and say that the 197 is an awesome car. Most of my track time has been in 172s/182s. They are very very light cars for what they are, and that engine really doesnt hang around. The custom code remap will give you a bit more power, but the Renaults will still destroy an S3 on anything but a straight road.

I have serious issues in my car with the Cups and Trophys round fast country lanes, the torque and power maps on them as standard are just immense and they handle brilliantly out of the box (even just the Renault Sport 172s are phenominal) You just cant shake them off and they turn in like nothing else.

luckily in this scenario it was a straight run up hill..... i checked the figures out and the 197 has a 0-60 in 6.9secs.... i know that these figures arent conclusive...and driver/conditions etc...... was just hoping that with it being naturally aspirated, that id have the upper hand up hill with the torque..... but what you have said graths.... this is what they have mountains of-although he did just beat me on a straight road grrrr

What i would like is to have a nice noticeable turn of pace in this situation..... that being said... i used to do a run up the same hill in my 150bhp a3, and get to 80mph under the bridge at the top of the hill..... this car only just touches 84mph!!! which shocked me...is my car under powered..... this has bugged me since i got it

is my car under powered..... this has bugged me since i got it

Sadly yeah. While the A3 had 150bhp, it was 2wd? And you have all the 4wd Components, plus some additional sound deadning ect and the S3 is quite heavy. Plus different gearing ratios dont help it out much either!

With N/A cars you dont have boost delays, your revs are much more free flowing and the power bands easier to work

Lots of people underestimate the new Clios, and they are one hell of a car (Id never own one tho, as I still have some pride left in me!)

my thoughts exactly, when he was passing me at 80+, (albeit only edging it).... i was thinking wait till you resell it you ****, nice residuals and the build quality of a lego ambulance...although did give him the obligatory wave lol

in your opinion, would this 84mph increase by much with the remap

You might see the odd extra MPH.... not enough to go back in time tho :p

On a side note, first few years residuals arent amazing but they level out quickly. My best mate Spec'd a 197 CUP and that came in at £16500 OTR new... alot of car for the money. Worryingly the newer Clio's arent built that badly at all!

hmmm, im curious now as to what the advantage of a remap is.... this is where i want the power..... on the straights

i sat in a 197 when they first came out, they have improved but are typical french...still use too much of the wrong sort of plastic....... although Renaults historically have about 10-20% mark up plus VAT..... id like to bet he wont see much over 10-11k if he traded it in after a year......although they do what they say on the tin and much more...these factors wont change for a long time IMO

I owned a 182 with cup packs , great little cheap-ish fun cars , pretty quick , coz it's a N/A your gonna need to spen £1600 on a set of cams for any real gains.

Very surpised he passed you at 70mph , i would of thought it would have been you who pulled away the higher the speed , they seem to run out of a bit of puff!

Maybe your car is a little bit poorly?

p

Think is their easy to Pilot, I know on the roads round this way one driven with any form of knowledge is truely in its element. Id never fancy an 8L against one!

^^^^^I still would think in a straight drag race a 8L would of at least kept up till triple figures then start to pull away!

On the twistys or track the 8L will struggle a bit.

1animal1 did you go on the rollers at the RR day? what were you putting out?

p

Yeah Id agree that on a straight road the 8L should eek it out, but Ive seen my mate not that far behind me on a straight road. Plus uphill the weight and power factor really comes into its own

8Ls would rock if we lived in America with straight roads (theyd get dicked off the line with the crap 3rd gear for 60 sprint tho!)

^^^^agreed on the 3rd gear to 60, i could hit 70 in 2nd in my modded 182.

leon

Cant see the any clios been quicker as there driven by girls!!! plus the s3 is quicker standard as ive jus checked..... get a map a see how small they look in your rear view!!!

I owned a 182 with cup packs , great little cheap-ish fun cars , pretty quick , coz it's a N/A your gonna need to spen £1600 on a set of cams for any real gains.

Very surpised he passed you at 70mph , i would of thought it would have been you who pulled away the higher the speed , they seem to run out of a bit of puff!

Maybe your car is a little bit poorly?

p

Na, i didnt end up going..... i have JBS around the corner to do the map...surely they would be able to tell? the only fault im throwing out at the minute is an intermitent DV valve fault...but not feeling any loss of power..... maybe this little episode shows i am under power/or a crap driver:uhm:...not had time to change yet as i have been buffing the damn thing in the freezin cold:weight_lift2:

...or possibly he was modified...we both took off up the hill from about 20mph, he sat behind me, pulling closer slowly after about 40-50mph, then pulled out and eased past...at no point did i pull away...thats whats baffled me

If an S3 is quicker than a RenaultSport Clio, then how come he got beat by one? That doesnt make any sense

Stats and figures dont mean ****, not one set of stats are done to the same standard.

Their gearings better, as Leon pointed out, their more revvy and, oh **** it, Tim knows what Im going on about and knows how I know what I do. This topics getting boring now.

to throw a spanner in the works Graths..... i took my mates brand new 182 in my 150bhp car couple years ago up the same hill...... although i didnt pull away much, it was enough to beat him..... he was a **** though and probably a **** driver... :keule:

As stated before tho, the S3 is alot heavier, and even with all its extra power you werent going much faster up the hill and this one still got past you. Road variables come into play a bit. Things like how much fuel on board etc.

Had you had a poo before hand?

yep i dropped two but was afraid of farting because there was a possible third on its way.......

i know what you mean.... and he could have been mapped/other aswel..... im not too disappointed...just want to know what the remap will do now....gonna give CC a call again i think......

yep i dropped two but was afraid of farting because there was a possible third on its way.......

i know what you mean.... and he could have been mapped/other aswel..... im not too disappointed...just want to know what the remap will do now....gonna give CC a call again i think......

If you want to drive down to MK ill give you a spin in my CC S3 :)

by the way I know sheffield is a big place but could you keep an eye out for a silver civic type R number plate KM02 YUK. Theres a reward if you find him ;)

Hi guys, my friend has a S3 225bhp he raced a megan 225 Turbo which left him with ease, both cars had remaps but the megan just seemed to fly leaving him every time

225 S3 = after transmission losses say between 185-205 at the wheels.

for a remapped S3 add say 40-50bhp to the above at the wheels.

Plus the 200kg for your luxuries over & above a similar sized car thats front wheel drive such as the Megan 225, Astra VXR, Focus RS / ST etc.

I got my car remapped about 5months ago only now can i keep up with my mate in his RS focus (standard 212bhp).

... the only fault im throwing out at the minute is an intermitent DV valve fault...but not feeling any loss of power..

I've got my standard DV, that I swapped for a Forge one when mine was re-mapped if you want to try it to see if it makes a difference...

by the way I know sheffield is a big place but could you keep an eye out for a silver civic type R number plate KM02 YUK. Theres a reward if you find him ;)

I chased an 02 silver, lowered into the weeds, loud, type R up Eccleshall Road in Sheffield late one night last week...

What's the reward and what's he done? I'll pay more attention to the reg. if I come across it again...

I chased an 02 silver, lowered into the weeds, loud, type R up Eccleshall Road in Sheffield late one night last week...

What's the reward and what's he done? I'll pay more attention to the reg. if I come across it again...

Thanks mate, the car was standard about 6 mths ago so he may have done some things to it since.

Long Story as to what hes done, ill let you know if you spot him again. Thanks

test drove a 172 or 182 (can`t remember) before buying the S3 and tbh it felt worst than my 1989 crx. Saleman tried to sell it on the gear shift light ???? for me that was just the red line light but hey ho

Cant see the any clios been quicker as there driven by girls!!! plus the s3 is quicker standard as ive jus checked..... get a map a see how small they look in your rear view!!!

There's an inteligent retort...
What a clown.

A well driven 182 will leave an S3 on a twist road with a good driver at the help...re-mapped or not.
you need to take all the standard Audi suspension and brakes and throw then in the skip, and start again, to get the S3 to beat a standard 182 down a back road.

I'll wager that without that, the view of the Clio you'll have out your rear view mirror is that of the Clio making the corner you just understeered into the uindergrowth at.

If you want to drive down to MK ill give you a spin in my CC S3 :)

Dave, i take it thats milton keynes? i wouldnt mind a spin in one plus comparison on a drag race to see the difference.....

Lol, what the feck are you doing having owt to do with a civic in Sheffy..... he's beasted you hasnt he:haha:...PM me if you dont want to post.... will be worth more of my while looking out if i know why lol

I've got my standard DV, that I swapped for a Forge one when mine was re-mapped if you want to try it to see if it makes a difference...

Thanks Sharpy.... i would but for the sake of £15, i was going to buy one and keep as a spare if that wasnt at fault.... What map have you got on yours?

Hi guys, my friend has a S3 225bhp he raced a megan 225 Turbo which left him with ease, both cars had remaps but the megan just seemed to fly leaving him every time

I had a lap in the passenger seat of a 964 shape Porsche 911, round the 'ring a few years ago...driven by an able helmsman.
He came upon a Megane 225 thing, which duly moved over and let him past...
3 corners later, the Magane passed us and dissapeared, never to be seen - never mind caught - again.

If you've driven one, you'll know all about how good they are.
A 225 S3 against a 225 Megane...you haven't got a chance!
Renault chassis are fantastic...

Even with more power on both...the chassis and brakes of the Megane make it unstoppable.

But no, I wouldn't want one either...fugly things.

225 S3 = after transmission losses say between 185-205 at the wheels.

for a remapped S3 add say 40-50bhp to the above at the wheels.

Not even close...
Measure coastdown on a MAHA dyno, and you'll see at least 60 BHP losses from an S3 (60-70 BHP)
150BHP ish at the wheels from a 210/225 S3.

My old S3 was running just under 280 BHP - about the max you'll ever see on a K04 - and it was making about 215 BHP at the wheels.

Bearing in mind, a 1st stage remap on the same car showed 245 BHP, and standard it was 208 BHP...you can see how much is lost through the transmission.

Plus the 200kg for your luxuries over & above a similar sized car thats front wheel drive such as the Megan 225, Astra VXR, Focus RS / ST etc.

So true...

I got my car remapped about 5months ago only now can i keep up with my mate in his RS focus (standard 212bhp).

That woiuld be about right...
Remapped S3 = approx 250-260 BHP genuine, so approx 180-190 ATW.
Focus RS = approx 215 BHP genuine, so approx 160-170 BHP at the wheels (around 50 BHP losses for FWD with an LSD and wide tyres)...but less weight.
Makes sense to me.

Good post....personally i would'nt ever try against a megane 225.... i know what they can do...one of the ugliest cars on the planet with the usual plastic **** inside.... but quick as ****..... shame the french cant design for looks to match the undergarments.

Ess...what do you think about the initial query... 197 straight line speed(unsure if modified)... vs....mapped and non mapped S3.... wana kick this fella next time i see him bcos hes dented my ego lol.....just dont wana spend money if its gonna be a no go'er. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.