new phone but which one

Reaction score
ok im after getting the wife a new phone and she has shown interest in the iphone but i suggested a HTC. Read loads and my head is now mush so anyone recommend one ???

Currently on vodafone but may move as reception seems to be poor at home.

Im happy with my old k700i but thats just me a phone is for phoning odd text and odd pic lol

any help please :)

If after an iphone wait a month or so as new 4G model out soon. 3GS will become cheaper or get the new 4G one.

I think the iphone is an attention whore as its always connected to the internet so your different apps will keep you busy,mates who have it are always fiddling with it.
I am going for a htc legend I think

hmm HTC desire seems to be ticking most boxes but know the wife it will have to be what ever looks best sod how it works lol

missus just got the hero on upgrade but the lass at carfone said the desire is the one (which meant money on top) the missus doesn't use tinterweb so she had the hero.

im going for a nexus one, fallback is the htc desire, you can run quake 3 on the nexus one, which sells it for me, id never have the iphone dont want itunes near my pc ever again. i bought a zune then another 3rd gen zune then a zune hd, they are amazing and great value and the zuen software is fantastic microsoft really have done well with it, bad side being its only availible in teh us but zunethings import them

I got an iPhone a couple of months ago, after looking long and hard (and also thinking the iPhone couldn't be as good as everyone who had one kept telling me it was) ... but it is that good. I love it and it makes sense being a Mac user at home. As with everything Apple it just works well and is easy to use. If you like gadgets (and I am not on the 'net with it all the time) then it's awesome. I previously had a Nokia E71, which was pants in comparison (not a fair comparison I appreciate!).

Good luck with your choice though.

Had an HTC Desire for about a couple of weeks now. Been spot on. Easy to setup with my work email, wireless etc same at home. Screen is excellent. A lad at work has already "rooted" his and is applying custom ROMs to it. I'm not that brave.

K

HTC Desire, great bit of phone, super phone and camera and very capable. i-Phone is much like a Clifford car alarm, makes all the right noises, has a big following but is ultimately a bit pants

As with anything it's worthwhile understanding what the requirements are.

Htv maybe gadget heaven but if she wants the iPhone the there's no point looking at alternatives.

I have an iPhone and will be upgrading to 4 when it is out. For ms the iPhone usability dominates most phone as the GUI is superb. Fast and slick with things relatively easy to work out.

Previosu smartphone was the HTc cruise (pre android os days) Which was simply an incomplete product.

Having said that the new Htv seem to be very nice. Just not sure if it's slicker than the iPhone.

I love my HTC Desire. It's fast, the screen is lovely and it's much more stable and reliable then the previous HTCs, even the Hero.
There's a bunch of usefull apps available, and even more under development.

The battery capacity isn't all that, but I manage.

Everybody has an iPhone, so I think it's a bit boring.

if you use itunes at home (and have an ipod) then go for the iphone, otherwise the desire kicks ***!!

if you like to usually have a "play" with any gadget you get, rather than just using it, then most new android phones should cut the mustard.

when i was choosing, the fact an iphone could only run 1 thing at a time put me off, as well as having to use itunes

Tried every phone above (pal works for Vodafone and just get's them as toys).

Nothing compares to the simple ease of the iPhone. So many apps, such a good GUI, nothing compares. All these "iPhone beaters" fail to dent it.

I too will be upgrading in June/July for the 4G, having been through 3G and 3GS.

Always nice having two contracts, one from old tennis working days and my day to day. Oh look, the other one is up for renewal from now onwards. SHHAAMMEE!

Sony ericson x10 - comes with andriod and similar size and look to the iphone

The iphone would be a great handset if they would sort a number of issues, why they dont include these things, apart from being money grabbing gits on 1 feature, is beyond me.

No delivery reports for texts
No tethering without paying extra monthly, although my Tocco could do this standing on its head for FREE
Absolutely shockingly ***** battery life
No BT sync with mac/pc

I'm sure I've missed a heap, but all these things mentioned are important to me & were available on my Tocco as it stood, no need for any hacks, cracks, FW upgrades & as far as technology goes the iPhone on paper was a much better handset, go figure.

Saying that, alot of the newer handsets Android based may have issues with wireless Tethering aswell until 2.2 is out & on them, from what i read anyway, can anyone confirm if they have it working as I was checking out Desire & X10

Personally I tried out the X10 as big fan of Sony but the battery life was so pathetic i sent it back!
I've actually gone a bit backward and got a SE Satio with it's symbian op sys its very old style and not brilliant to use as compared to a iphone (they really are very nice to use but every c##t has got 1), thing with the satio is it has a 12 megapixel camera which is what i wanted it for and it produces stunning pics, i have 2 young girls 3yr & 6mth and I love being able to capture them growing up any time wherever i am as i always have my phone with me (who carries a digi camera about with them?)
Anyway the point i was trying to make is what do you want to get out of your phone? if the iphone had a good camera (it really doesn't) then i'd chew my own arm off to have 1 as it is so so nice to use