New pads and discs

tom2

Reaction score
Following a botched service at a main stealer last week (didn't change oil filter or air filter!) I was advised to get rear pads and discs changed, the front pads needed doing to as the pad wear light was on (only because our beagle pup had chewed the wire off the pad).

with it being bonus month I decided to get new pads and discs all round, done about 60miles on them now. They smoked a bit for the first 10-15 miles but this has stopped now, however both the rear wheels are getting really hot (fronts are fine). The car rolls freely and brake fluid is about .5mm below the max.

not sure if they are binding or if its just because the rear brakes are under less stress than the front they take a little longer to get bedded in? Anything I can do to tell if they're binding? Or shall I just get some more miles on them and see if it persists?

Thanks

P.s. the stealers were really good following my complaint about the service, they had a guy at my front door within 25 mins with an a6 courtesy car and took mine back to be re serviced, when I collected it I asked about the brakes and they said they will only charge for the parts to make up for almost ripping me off, and I got a letter with a voucher to get the next full service free.

Sorry to Hijack the thread and for being totally unhelpful!!

Not too sure on your car issue m8 but good luck with the beagle!!

Ours is 7 years old now, love her to bits.
Still the naughtyest dog I have ever known but soo much fun!

I'd jack up the back and see if the wheels spin properly, my guess would be that they didn't wind the piston back far enough and it's biding slightly, you need to get this looked at as the back wheels shouldn't really get hot, certainly not hotter than the front, and if they are binding you could cause further damage.

Ill have a peek in a bit when it's cooled down a bit outside, what is a good bed in procedure for new brakes?

I would check it spins freely if it don't I'd remove the calliper wind it all the way back then try again did u grease up all the moving parts ect also check ur hand break mech is working freely as these are known to seize on

Last edited:
Drive the car for 5-10 mins, then coast to a stop. If the rear discs are hot, then there's a chance the rear pistons are seizing. You could try winding in, but I'd be inclined to renew brake seals (caliper 'o' ring and dust boot) plus grease with Lockheed red grease. Cheaper than going for exchange units. I can only hope the dealer serviced the slider pins too.