New Owner

JakeOwen

Reaction score
Morning all, joined the forum this morning found some great info already. Finally got a S3 in nogaro blue after looking for ages !! Really pleased with it got a list as long as my arm to get through but will do it over the next couple of years ! Happy new year, Jake

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
Reactions: Sandra
Hi Jake, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Lovely car. Hope you enjoy the forum. We will all do our best to help you spend your money on mods. :) x

Reactions: JakeOwen and S3Alex
Welcome to AS.net Jake! Check out the Stickies / FAQs for lots of useful information on the S3. There's lots of good advice available on here. Hope to see you at an event sometime.

Reactions: JakeOwen
Welcome Jake as above this place will cost you but it will provide you with info to build a great car.

Reactions: JakeOwen and Sandra
Cheers guys can't wait to get stuck in to it. I am located in central London and am in the motor trade so hope to see some of you one day !!

At least you've already got the aluminium mirrors, saved yourself some money there! Great looking car as well

Reactions: JakeOwen
Hi welcome to the forum I too have a Noggy which appears to need loads of work :)

I assume you have a spare car for those "workshop days" ;-)

your paintwork looks amazing - what interior do you have?

what is on you list of things to do?

Good evening, no spare car but I am a master technician at Jack Barclay Bentley so I can take it in Saturday's plus we share our site with Audi so I have a massive amount of help from them if I need it !!

The paint needs a good machine polish, I got a DA polisher so plan on doing it once the mechanical stuff is done !

It just needs the serviceable items really like the cam belt. I changed the oil as soon as I got it. I used Mobil 5w30 but now find its a bit tappety from cold !! I think I will go for a thicker oil soon. I have used Castrol edge before and prefer that. The thermostat was stuck open causing the coolant temp to drop off on a long run ! I broke the dipstick tube whilst replacing the thermostat so I have one on order.

The interior is grey it's not in bad condition the leather just needs a good clean up but overall love the s3 and they go really well. I find cars of this era so well built and love understated look.

What's your one need ?

You don't really need a spare car unless you have bought a lemon or fitted a different turbo lol...

Welcome to the roller coaster ride of S3 ownership... I love mine :D

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Sandra
yeah I broke my dipstick too taking the black bit of plastic off (which I also broke to get it off) to get to the underside of the inlet manifold and delete the N249, but just araldite'd it back together the yellow plastic is very brittle.

are your door blades new - I cannot even see a join between the drivers door section and the rear section?

I have had a few issues with mine - I am probably making work for myself - I just don't think the previous owner cared for it - things like brake calipers boots not installed properly (so needed to remove calipers and service), caliper nipples overtightened (so snapped off trying to remove)

when I bought it - they had installed some chav mods which were frowned upon on the forum as they are stupid and damaging eg manual boost control set to 30 PSI bypassing the N75 valve, crappy leaking hoses and a CDA air filter which is an expensive air filter which makes the car slower. The door mechanism is a nightmare and needs to be properly taken apart as it only works for a few days after having brake cleaner sprayed in followed by 3 in 1 oil (I have tried adjusting it) and after a hard road test with my new discs and pads to go with a good set of tyres I seem to be losing coolant. I have a clicky front drive shaft (there's 4 or so in my history) and a whiney haldex (common fault / non fault)

I also updated the knackered symphony 1 with a multi disc symphony 2 - had to replace the aerial which the previous owner tried to do - but with the wrong connectors - so I have some issues with the joining to the CAN BUS and Dashboard DIS ( I expect yours has a symphony 2 as standard)

I have also changed the anti roll bar bushes and drop links which made a difference in handling.

I just seem to hit annoyances for example I have my new fuel filter and cannot get the standard Audi fuel pipe connector off one side of the existing, the other end is already a normal fuel pipe as the previous owner obviously broke it other audi connector off and it is held on with a tie wrap instead of the proper worm connector.

Also I think my headlights were supposed to be Xenon but they have been converted to normal without any motors, or range switch in the car so they are annoyingly low.

The car is lovely to drive (for me - my wife hates it as it is a bit bumpy) and is basically classic car, but most things I approach are either no longer standard or properly modified or they seized and damaged on removal.

I had my 2002 3.0 S-Type jag for 2 years and had to lubricate a windscreen wiper mechanism and change a coil and get new rear tyres fitted.

I do need a second car as I need to drive to work when I am working on it or to a shop to get something that breaks when I remove something.

your paintwork looks amazing I have a small amount of rust bubbles on my front wheel arch - but I do love the colour - it attracts my eyes immediately - it is not quite the same as a golf v5 parked near my house which I also seem to have been drawn to for years.

I have not had a hot hatch before, they are interesting to drive and I actually find the basicness of the interior features appealing.

+1 on the dipstick breaking, it's about £8 for a new genuine one from Audi

What's the mileage on your car Stuart? The headlights should be Xenon as standard it's sounds like your car is a real lemon, did you get it cheap?

And the other half hates my car too! I get shouted at if I floor it with her in the car

yeah I got that - especially when it had the crap forge split-r installed and the clunk on DV gear change -
"THIS IS MURDER BEND WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
"errm.. I'm only going 50mph"

126K - my lights have the funny looking ball in. but I changed the broken rear adjuster only to find no change in "auto height adjustment" then when I changed front drop links I could see the wheel arch adjuster had the wires cut, and bi-xenon are supposed to flicker to start up and be blue. I will get around to them too - but maybe something expensive broke and it seemed cheaper to buy normal bulbs?

not sure about cheap £2900 - I was looking at same age GTI's (£1K) but this caught my eye - I am not a very good buyer :D

to be fair,
I changed all the tyres because they felt dangerous in the wet and I lost control of my wife's 318is after putting crap cheap tyres on the rear in the past as soon as it rained.
I changed all the pads and discs even though the fronts still looked new - but the brakes were poor in my mind they are excellent now.
I took out the chavvy crap from the engine
replaced the stereo
Changed drop links and bushes
New Air Filter to a cheap S2000 from CDA
Ordered a Badger TIP
Oil+Filter, Plugs and a Coil
Haldex Oil + Filter (actually used 3 haldex oils as dropped my last lot as I could hear the whine to see if it had leaked and spilt the first lot onto the drive)
New Sharkfin Aerial

So quite a lot of those I don't / didn't need they are simple improvements and I am happy to improve / enjoy as a hobby. just gets frustrating when a 5 minute job turns into a weekend, usually because something else is wrong :D

also 1st thing I did was fix the driver door blade.

and the longditudinal sensor needs replacing but I know where it is and can get to it :)

Hi Jake, btw - there is quite a bit of chat about the wrong oil causing issues with the oil pump or oil pick-up so just be aware.

just gets frustrating when a 5 minute job turns into aweekend, usually because something else is wrong :D

That's the story of my life! I lost a weekend replacing a snapped rear spring on my brothers BMW 5 series!

I appreciate what your doing with the car it will be a belter when it's all good and back to how it should be just a shame you have had to do so much, £2900 isn't bad I paid £3000 and had to get timing belt done and mines black not noggy blue which makes it worth more!

I probably could have just driven it around as it was when I picked it up - but 3K is a lot of money for a shed.

For the extra £300 I could drive my shed with peace of mind I wouldn't be using it for fire wood anytime soon!

I am talking about my car not yours. It will get there, it's important to keep the energy going. I have lots of new tools too :)