New owner service confusion

Denviks

Reaction score
Hi all. My name is den and I have just purchased my first Audi A6 avant this week and I'm loving it. I'm a little confused about the servicing screen in the car. It has 2 seperate service dates and milages?

Can anyone explain what's what as I want to keep my car up to date

Bottom one is major service (ie expensive one) top one is a simple oil change. Looks like whoever sold you the car had an oil change done vs the major service it probably needed in a couple of thousand miles but didn't want to pay the ££££ (as id imagine an oil change would be included in a major)

Last edited:
thank you so much for your fast reply.... the dealership was one of if not the largest car sellers in the uk so you would assume they could get things right lol. ive just had the 2 rear tyres changed as they were no longer round anymore so looks like im going to be getting her serviced in the next week or 2 as well. im not sure i would take her back as they would more than likely just reset the numbers anyway.

Sorry Den, I meant to say welcome to the forum!!!

I think there are 2 types of service programmes - one that is fixed (ie every 10,000 miles) and one that's variable (when the car t like you it's ready) chances are that yours could be the variable type and they have just ran out of sync and the next major service could bring it all together.

Suppose the dealer will say the car wasn't due a service for another 1000 miles it so, and they sold it with a full and completely up to date schedule.

But id give them a call and ask them to explain it in detail, as I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination! But you could ask them about arrive plans, as there are a few deals to be had if the car if over 3 years old.

For me, whenever I buy a car I've learnt to ask them for a major service as a condition of buying it - worst they tend to do is an oil change, but I see that as another couple of hundred quid in my pocket.

What engine / spec / age did you go for? Loads of good advice on here from this lot, oh, and a bit of banter. Hope you enjoy the Audi experience.

Gordie

Thanks for the welcome gordie. I've been on the phone to them and had a chat . It seems they don't service the cars unless the car tells them it requires it then and there so maybe a bargaining chip I missed out on. I dont think there is much point in chasing it to be honest. I am chasing the cost of the tyres though as they should deal with that little bill and put a few pounds back in my pocket.
I went with a 2012 a6 avant in Se spec ( 2.0 ) . It has a few extra's I think but not many. I'm loving the drive to work everyday now. I was driving a Range Rover but it was drinking fuel and becoming a drain on the £'s so decided to go for something more economical and similar comforts.. So there was only one choice . Audi all the way.,

Not afraid of some banter , it's what makes the world go round and every day a little brighter. I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone on here

Yeah. Thought as much. I wouldn't worry too much about if - think you can get a oil and major service now for £399 all in, especially now your car is over 3 years old. I'll be doing the same in September.

Although watch out - once they have it, they'll do the complimentary health check........ Mine was in for a couple of days with a replacement valve, and they tried to tell me it needed 4 new tyres and 2 X brake pads totalling £1500 of work even though there was 5mm all round on the tyres and the pads were good for another 4-6000 miles !