New Owner Question

A4AndyK

Reaction score
Hi All, first time poster for a while.
I've just moved over from a 2016 manual A4 TFSI to a 2018 S3 S-Tronic.

Just picked up today, enjoyed the drive home!

I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping your experience can help me with!

Reverse sensor, in my A4 when engaging reverse, I got a proximity screen on the MMI as well as the audible.
In the S3 I don't get anything on the MMI, but do get the audible warning, is that normal?

Secondly, this one is a real newbie to automatic question and hopefully doesn't sound too dumb.
When parking my manual, if I parked up and the decided I needed to creep forward a bit I'd use clutch to do that.
In the auto when I park, if I let foot off the brake, I have to tickle to throttle to get any movement, and it may be because I'm a but heavy footed but I perhaps get a little more momentum than I'm expecting.
I'm sure I'll nail it over time but am I missing a trick, reverse for example starts to creep when I take foot off the brake.

Last one, my S3 has the technology pack, and looking online that suggests it should have virtual cockpit, but it does not. Are there different types of technology packs?

Cheers in advance!

Andy
98961519363197d3512aac2b69f52636.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new toy.

Regarding parking sensors, you only get the graphic display if you have front and rear parking sensors, so your system is working correctly.

Congratulations on your new toy.

Regarding parking sensors, you only get the graphic display if you have front and rear parking sensors, so your system is working correctly.
Hi!
Thanks for your reply.
That makes sense. The A4 did have front and rear.
Cheers for the info!

Andy

When at a standstill just a quick tap of the accelerator will release the brake, the car will then start to pull forward or back depending on gear selection.

If you have start stop enabled and it kicks in at lights for example. Tap the accelerator to start the car then again to release the brake. Then apply power, you will get a smoother set-off tgis way than just pressing the accelerator.

Virtual cockpit was an extra option on top of the tech pack.

When at a standstill just a quick tap of the accelerator will release the brake, the car will then start to pull forward or back depending on gear selection.

If you have start stop enabled and it kicks in at lights for example. Tap the accelerator to start the car then again to release the brake. Then apply power, you will get a smoother set-off tgis way than just pressing the accelerator.

Virtual cockpit was an extra option on top of the tech pack.
Hi Josul
Thanks for that, didn't realise the virtual cockpit was an option on top of the option!
Neither did the salesman I was dealing with.

Sounds like I need to refine my 'quick tap' technique!

Andy

Reactions: josul
PFL S3 you could code the graphic display in but that option disappeared on the FL.
Thanks George, it was a nice to have, surprised there was no visual at all.
Thanks for the info.

PFL S3 you could code the graphic display in but that option disappeared on the FL.
Does this mean that you can’t activate the graphic display with VCDS either?
My mums 2018 A1 has rear sensors only and initially just had the audible warnings…..
Using VCDS I was able to activate the screen display which obviously just shows the rear end of the car…..
Seems rather a retrograde step if you can do this on a lowly A1 and not the A3……..

My mums 2018 A1 has rear sensors only and initially just had the audible warnings…..
Using VCDS I was able to activate the screen display which obviously just shows the rear end of the car…..
Seems rather a retrograde step if you can do this on a lowly A1 and not the A3……..
Not sure to be quite honest. worth a try.

You could do this with the PFL but not FL 8V, or that was the case a good few years back the last time I looked

Not sure to be quite honest. worth a try.

You could do this with the PFL but not FL 8V, or that was the case a good few years back the last time I looked

Currently negotiating the purchase of a FL 8V Sportback with just rear sensors so will have a fiddle with VCDS if/when purchase is finalised and will report back :smile new:.

Reactions: josul