New owner of 1.8t (190) S line ... Few pics & questions

Jonahjones26

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly here are a few picks from when I viewed the car ( I pick it up Friday :) )

E0B05A91-856A-408F-9088-A61C668F18A1-10390-0000056993E6E8C7_zpsc3826727.jpg

43D0F6CC-4CBB-442E-9BE6-C7636219BD79-9297-000004D23BD2DF5F_zps1aca6538.jpg

DBA9A858-D6D8-4BEC-BCDA-45F60B95846A-9297-000004D2458324B6_zpsaf024e57.jpg

I have a few questions too;

is there an iPod (aux) plug in on the stereo? I think it's a symphony system built in 6 cd?

also I have been told by my garage that I should have an oil change as soon as I get it and flush the system? Why would I need it flushed?

What size tail pipes are people running with ? Will 3.5" fit in the s line rear? Also what size pipe is the exhaust?

Oh and finally I want to remove that S4 badge off the rear i presume that is stuck on and not mechanically fixed?

Thanks Jonah

Nice looking car same as mine apart from colour people worry about the sludge issue with 1.8t which is why they've probably told you to change oil and flush check through history to see of its had pick up pipe done, there's no iPod connection as far as I'm aware you need extras like xlink as for tailpipes I'd like to know what size will fit too as I want to change mine and welcome

I'd be amazed if that badge wasn't stuck on. Even the originals are glued on. Have a go at slowly peeling it off, of needs be get the hair dryer out to soften the glue, and try something like a credit card. Just be careful and it'll come off fine.

Glad you're taking it off though, it looks horrendous ha.

Badge will come off with a hair dryer and dental floss, as for the tail pipes on the sline rear end 3.5" will fit nicely, I'm running 4" with a votex rear end.

I would 100% recommend going through the service history, if it's been on long life service stop and get it checked for sludge you can normally see it around the oil filler cap. These engines should have the oil changed every 5k or 6mths to keep them running sweet.

Nice looking car good luck with it, if you need any info there are always plenty of people on here to help you

Thanks guys,

pabs regarding the servicing its been services every 10k or less around every 12-18 months? Is that long life?
i may just get it done as a precaution any way.

and regarding the tail pipes have you gone for tips only or full system?

Welcome and nice colour.

That "S" badge is the wrong way round LOL

To remove, just heat them up with a hairdryer and slowly pry it off...........that is it. You may need some polish afterwards to remove any residue left behind.

Last edited:
Welcome and nice colour.

That "S" badge to the wrong way round LOL

To remove, just heat them up with a hairdryer and slowly pry it off...........that is it. You may need some polish afterwards to remove any residue left behind.

i thought it looked odd! And looking back over the dealers photos they actually put that badge on?

Mmmmm tidy saloon there fella. The S-Lines just set themselves apart from all the other 'normal' :p A4s out there.

Good shout removing the 'S' badge though, it's not fooling anyone.

Nice car. I have an Akoya silver avant version of it.

Get the oil pick up pipe done, even if just for piece of mind. Take the vacuum hoses off the top of the engine and check for sludge. If they are sludged up then definitely get the pick up pipe done. Prob worth getting the oil pump done at the same time.

Mate long life servicing is every 2 years hence they use different oil and thats what normally causes the issue, as long as yours has been serviced every year or 10k whichever comes first you should be ok, Ive had mine 6 years this year and it gets a new filter and oil every 10k or 12 months whichever comes first and Ive never had an issue some people choose 6 months or 5k miles each to their own to be fair mate.

Nice looking car, i have the avant version and the 4wd is great :)

Have an xlink cable on mine very easy to fit but its a concert bose with no changer, sure there will be cable for you though.

4inch pipes will fit fine :)

As for sludge its pot luck mine is on 110k and has had oil changed every year, sometimes twice according to the service history and no sign of any sludge yet!

I personally wouldn't use engine flush on anything, I have done when i first got into cars and it ruins engines from my experience.

Keep you're eye on coolant as the bleed valve can weep if it hasn't already been replaced (on metal pipe underneath engine cover) and if you get oil smell in cabin will either be crank breather hose broken up or cam cover gasket weeping.

May also be worth checking with your local dealer about coil pack recall, previous owner had already replaced two so i wasn't covered but got 4 beru ones for 95 from euro car parts as mine were destroyed by a leaking cam gasket

Hope you enjoy the motor! :)

Every 10k you should be fine just get your garage to have a good check, I choose 5k because i've done lots of mods to mine and the first owner did have a problem with sludge but luckily it cost him not me, he had to pay for the sump to be dropped, new oil pick up and new oil pump so I just like to keep it clean. Had mine for 5 yrs now, it's on 115k and it's still spot on...

Is there anything in the service history about the cam belt, water pump tensioners idlers etc, these should be done every 60k or 5 yrs, it was one of the first job I did when I bought mine for peace of mind

Full turbo back system on mine, blue flame performance high flow cat and full exhaust system, it's running a stage 2 map at the mo but fitting a new front mount intercooler in a few weeks so the map will be tweaked.

Not long to wait now :yahoo:

My car had oil changes every 7.5k. I still suffered the blocked pickup.

It's not worth the chance in my opinion.

@ avantsline thanks for the advise I will defo get all of those items checked

@ Duffy I will also get the pick up pipes checked is there a how to guid on here anywhere?

@ pabs the cambelt was at 60k ish but I do not remember seeing the tensioner etc?

cant wait to pick her up Friday :)

and thanks for the advise very much appreciated.

No easy way to check without dropping the sump. I'd start with the breather pipes on top of the cam cover at the back of the engine. If they are clear then you're prob ok.

This car is still being advertised on an Autotrader advert Audi A4 1.8T 190 S Line [6] 4dr Multitronic 2004. But these photos have all the badges on the boot including the suspect 'S' badge in a different place. I don't want to sound pessimistic but are you sure this car is what it claims to be? I thought the 190 S Line models were pretty rare and had a silver plate on the drivers door sill and an S line badge on the steering wheel. The pictures aren't great but neither of these items seem to be there. Others can probably give you a definitive answer and I believe these features may have only been on very specific models. I believe the log book should record if it is a true 190 S Line model. I may be wrong but as it appears that the garage have messed around with the badges it might be worth checking that everything is as claimed? Apart from that it's a nice looking car and I have another saloon in the same, Mauritius Blue, colour!

Well it's got the slime blades and also sline on the door trims. You can't even see the steering wheel or kick plates on the auto trader photos so not sure why you've got your knickers in a twist.

They don't all have the sline badge on the steering wheel but they all do have the perforated leather wheel and gear knob.

Yeah I have checked everything and the badges are in the glove box the 1.8T and a4 both snapped ( no idea why they removed them)
and it does have the silver kick plates etc i have checked the chassis number and all documentation is present and match inc the v5.
also checked tax and mileage etc via dvla.

now I am worried I have missed something.

Never seen the buttons before i dont have a clue what they do, if everything checks out then i would not worry, the engines in a 190 have engine code BEX, this will be stamped on the engine bay just so you can check

Don't worry about the steering wheel same as mine,

007_zps13f89808.jpg

A4 avant quattro 190 sline on the logbook, should be 1.8T on engine cover mate :)

Don't worry about the steering wheel same as mine,

007_zps13f89808.jpg

A4 avant quattro 190 sline on the logbook, should be 1.8T on engine cover mate :)

yeah it has :)

i got worried for a minute … still the seller said I can pop over tomorrow and check what ever I need too so I will just double check the engine no. And re check chassis v5 etc…

Well it's got the slime blades and also sline on the door trims. You can't even see the steering wheel or kick plates on the auto trader photos so not sure why you've got your knickers in a twist.

I was not getting my knickers in a twist but simply trying to help the guy before he parted with the balance of his cash. The 'sline blades' that you refer to also appeared on some 'Sport' models (I have exactly the same blades on my own 54 reg Sport model and the same wheels). It is not unknown for some owners/sellers to pass off Sport models as Slines and particularly as it appeared that the dealer had messed around with the badges it raised a question that I thought was worth asking. I acknowledged that the Autotrader pictures were not great, but that's partly the point as if it was the real deal wouldn't you take pictures which highlighted those features rather than pictures taken from angles where it is unclear? I raised the question and invited other forum members to clarify, which some have helpfully done with pictures from their own cars. The OP now has more information to reassure him and the seller has offered the opportunity to check any points before the sale is completed.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but you made reference to certain things being absent from the vehicle even though the parts in question could not be viewed on the photos. Hardly helpful imo.

I would rather you say something and I double triple check than be dissapointed if its not the real deal. Going over this afternoon to re check everything is present and correct.

Thanks guys

I'm sorry but you made reference to certain things being absent from the vehicle even though the parts in question could not be viewed on the photos. Hardly helpful imo.
Looking back at my original post I would acknowledge that I could have used more precise wording to question whether these items were missing because of the uncertainty created by poor picture angles. But, with respect, 'getting your knickers in a twist' is hardly a shining example of helpful input either. It was however 10.30 at night and so perhaps neither of us were at our best!! I'm sure we can both agree that we hope the OP enjoys his new Audi and has enjoyed the positive aspects of when forum members offer up their collective knowledge and experience.

Lmao. The only part of my post that wasn't helpful is the part about twisted knickers.

Apology accepted.

Just checked the number plate for you and its defo a Sline with 187bhp and this will be on the v5

Lmao. The only part of my post that wasn't helpful is the part about twisted knickers.

Apology accepted.
Apology accepted? What are you talking about? The only part of my original post that was not helpful was, with hindsight, the way I worded the issue of the photographs not clearly showing a couple of features that appear on some Sline models - but that was the one point you choose to take issue about. My previous post was just trying to draw a line under it and suggest that neither of us could claim to be without fault in our contributions to the forum. Every other members' reply has either just clarified the points I raised (which was my original intention) or in the case of the guy is buying the car a thank you for raising the point so that he could double check.

*** mate just drop it already.

Your post on the thread was not helpful.

I'd already posted on the thread a number of times outlining things he may want to consider. You basically barge in and to all intents and purposes say it isn't an sline because it doesn't have a steering wheel badge or kick plates, even though you can't see the wheel or the inner cills in the photos.

I then went on to pull you up about it and tell the op that not all slines have wheel badges and pointed out the sline features it does have.

So in summary. Me = helpful, you = wind up merchant.

Don't worry, I won't be trip trapping over your bridge anymore.

*** mate just drop it already.

Your post on the thread was not helpful.

I'd already posted on the thread a number of times outlining things he may want to consider. You basically barge in and to all intents and purposes say it isn't an sline because it doesn't have a steering wheel badge or kick plates, even though you can't see the wheel or the inner cills in the photos.

I then went on to pull you up about it and tell the op that not all slines have wheel badges and pointed out the sline features it does have.

So in summary. Me = helpful, you = wind up merchant.

Don't worry, I won't be trip trapping over your bridge anymore.
Good grief, I don't think I have ever seen such a hostile post on this forum. I am not a wind up merchant and even reading back my original post I cannot see how it can construed in that way. I raised a question which I felt was worth checking out and also advocated that others may be able to provide more clarity, which they have done in the usual helpful and constructive manner that we regularly see on this forum. I acknowledged that I could have worded the original post in a clearer way but I hardly feel there was anything that I needed to be 'pulled up' about as they were points which I have seen discussed on here before and I thought I was helping the guy. Everyone else seems to have taken my post in the spirit intended and clarified/corrected where appropriate (which I invited) so I don't see why you have chosen to launch such a personal attack on me.

Guys, let's try and keep things civil please. This isn't the S3 forum... :undwech:

There is plenty of confusion around as to what constitutes an S-Line, and plenty of people have been disappointed when they've realised their 1.9TDi is a 'only' a Sport! So I think it was sensible to raise the issue to double check the OP is happy with the spec of his chosen car.

Can we leave it there now please, cheers.

Ive got a 190 s line quattro same colour too and its got satnav,trying to selll it ,no one seems to want it

Ive got a 190 s line quattro same colour too and its got satnav,trying to selll it ,no one seems to want it
I'm surprised to hear that. I always regarded the 190 S Line, in Mauritius Blue, as the holy grail of A4 B6's, especially with Quattro. Four years ago, when I was looking for mine, I would have bitten your arm off if you had offered it to me! Hope you don't have to wait too long for a buyer.

Just to confirm the chassis numbers match and engine number ( thanks for the advise there guys) all as should be … re did the hpi today and rechecked dvla also rang the Audi garage who confirmed they changed the cam belt and water pump and tensioner? 5k ago end feb 2012, so I took her there and then

Love it … looks great and drive beautifully … even in sport mode :)

now to remove that god damn s4 badge ;)

Looks very tidy. Change the oil every 5000-6000 miles and she'll see you right. Use good quality oil and filters though.

The buttons say ' ski bag & pull and they pull out a little plastic handle with a hole running through it still no idea what they are for?

i will get some pics up