New owner A4 Avant 1.4 TFSI - Is it remapped?!

tom19852

Reaction score
Hi all,

Picked up a 16 plate avant sport 1.4 tfsi, came from a 330d xdrive touring (changing jobs, needed to rid of big pcp) wanted a petrol ~15k budget estate and the A4 was for me by far the best option in terms of value for money.

I am wondering if the car has bene remapped as I can't quite get over how well it goes for what it is, 330d isnt really a comparison but the other half has a 116i which pretty close in torque and power and feels slower (despite being lighter car). It's also pretty easy to light up the front tyres which is odd (tyres are good all round).

It's got quite a bit of turbo lag, maybe that makes it feel quicker when it kicks in?! the BMW 116i is more linear i guess...or im thinking its remapped, guess no easy way of telling unless i get diagnostics run?

Refinement and comfort is great, enjoying the more modern interior too. Despite a downgrade in spec and power, really enjoying the car.

Cheers

You can’t map the ecu as yet, So no. Unless it’s got a tuning box which I doubt someone left it in. Re the tyres breaking, it is winter, so to be expected especially if you have small wheels. What tyres do you have and what size are they? The b9 A4 is lightest in class. *Your mileage may vary depending on what options and wheels are on. 120kg weight saving over the b8, you’ve got the Avant so it’s slightly heavier than the Saloon.

EDIT: can indeed be remapped. I was mistaken. Apologies.

Last edited:
You can’t map the ecu as yet, So no. Unless it’s got a tuning box which I doubt someone left it in. Re the tyres breaking, it is winter, so to be expected especially if you have small wheels. What tyres do you have and what size are they? The b9 A4 is lightest in class. *Your mileage may vary depending on what options and wheels are on. 120kg weight saving over the b8, you’ve got the Avant so it’s slightly heavier than the Saloon.

Are you sure, because the 2.0T is able to be mapped? Does it run the same ECU as the S4 then?

Hi all,

Picked up a 16 plate avant sport 1.4 tfsi, came from a 330d xdrive touring (changing jobs, needed to rid of big pcp) wanted a petrol ~15k budget estate and the A4 was for me by far the best option in terms of value for money.

I am wondering if the car has bene remapped as I can't quite get over how well it goes for what it is, 330d isnt really a comparison but the other half has a 116i which pretty close in torque and power and feels slower (despite being lighter car). It's also pretty easy to light up the front tyres which is odd (tyres are good all round).

It's got quite a bit of turbo lag, maybe that makes it feel quicker when it kicks in?! the BMW 116i is more linear i guess...or im thinking its remapped, guess no easy way of telling unless i get diagnostics run?

Refinement and comfort is great, enjoying the more modern interior too. Despite a downgrade in spec and power, really enjoying the car.

Cheers
I also would advise a tuning box but there are companies advertising remps for the 1.4 so best to check with them to see if it is available. Which gearbox have got as a tcu map will also compliment the tuning and help to reduce any lag...

170 bhp and 300 nm torque. From 150 bhp & 250 nm. (Not recommending this company was just the first one that came up)
IMG 3690

Hi all,

Cheers
Just to answer your question regarding if the car has had a remap. If this had been performed within the warranty period and the car had been into a Audi dealership for any servicing then this should have been picked up by them and a TD1 flag generated against the car. More here https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/24414-definate-answer-on-td1-code-logged-by-modding/
Tuning boxes cannot be detected by the same methods after being physically removed.
If your car had been remapped, and by some chance no dealership had detected it, then they only way to tell would be either to take it to a rolling road dyno or have the map on the ecu examined by an expert who would firstly check the checksum size...

Hi all,

Cheers
I’ve got the 2016 1.4 avant too. Brought it for similar reasons - it was hands down the best car for my needs for £15k.

I’m gonna guess that it’s not a remap. For a 1.4 engine it has a surprising amount of pep. To be fair, first is very short and can be a tiresome, especially when the engine is cold. But you know, there’s fun to be had especially from the top of second up to top of fourth.

As you say, you do have to ride the turbo. I’ve made the mistake of dropping too many revs at a roundabout and losing power. Once you know how to manage it, it’s not a problem though.

Sure, it’s doesn’t have the beast of an engine that many people on here seem to have. And of course the squillion HP of RS4 sounds very appealing. But for that price, for a safe, comfortable, incredibly well built cruiser, I can’t think of any better car I could have brought.

... and as for the engine remap... I’m gonna start posting to find out about people’s experineces once my warranty runs out!

Reactions: cuke2u
Only 16 or 65 plate b9 a4's can be remapped as audi upgraded the ecu during 2016 many companies advertise a map but as I and others have found out when you contact them they can't do it. Mines a 66 plate

Reactions: Daggerit