New number plate

Coxy234

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a personalised number plate from dvla and would like to know the best place to buy the new number plate.

Do I go to the web or back to the dealer. If I buy from the web will it fit ok?

Thanks

'Plates for Cars' on the interweb is a number plate maker I have used. www.platesforcars.co.uk
They're not cheap but the quality is good. Lots of options like borders and national flags etc...

Reactions: Coxy234
I've always used A1 Showplates, good quality plates and I can get the size I need.

Reactions: Coxy234
I'm about to purchase a personalised number plate from dvla and would like to know the best place to buy the new number plate.

Thanks
If you buy from the Web just make sure that they are legal ones and not show plates. Don't want to fall foul of the law!!!!

If you buy from the Web just make sure that they are legal ones and not show plates. Don't want to fall foul of the law!!!!

Thx. I will make sure before purchase

Thanks

At least if you purchase a set from the dealer you know they will be legal.

The plates have to be in the correct typeface, with the correct spacing between the letters and number. The must comply with British Standard (BS AU 145d) This must be stated on the plates together with the name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier, the name and postcode of the supplying outlet. A non-reflective border is optional.

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (red dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

Reactions: cuke2u
Why not get the dealer to do them for free? It's included in Audi's 'road pack' or whatever they call it which you would already have been charged for, so they should do it.

Dealer would be easiest - remember to get an EU plate if you think you will go abroad.

Reactions: cemerson
I got EU plates all round for mine, just in case! I got them to do an additional rear plate as well for towing.

Why not get the dealer to do them for free? It's included in Audi's 'road pack' or whatever they call it which you would already have been charged for, so they should do it.

They have already supplied one set tho. Not sure they will give me another set for free.

I usually use demonplates, never had a problem with that site

When I'm in charge I'm banning PPs but meanwhile get a dealer set. Correct postcode detail etc.

Dealer sorted mine, although the plate transfer did delay things by a couple of days.

When I'm in charge I'm banning PPs but meanwhile get a dealer set. Correct postcode detail etc.

I have no problems if other people want to spend their money on private plates. Or the fact that the dvla is making a profit on this.
What I don't like is the illegal spacing....

Although I do like the German plates. Better looking fonts, cool regional logos. No age displays and same colour front and back.

Going back to the original point.... Maybe consider a pressed plate? There's another thread about this somewhere.

Pressed plate sounds retro-cool! Are they road legal then? Had no idea!

I don't believe pressed plates are legal on new cars. The DVLA website has all sorts of info. or try this
Number Plates Law

I completely agree about German Plates and the Regional spin. I suppose we do have a Regional spin on our 'normal' plates with L* being Greater London amd W* being West Country etc but not as clear as the older County Specific.. *BP ,* PO, * PX being West Sussex and *YA,*YB, *YC etc being Somerset. Bit pointless these days with people buying cars from all over the place but you can still ask for a local number even if buying from a distant dealer but it takes a bit of personal effort!

In France number plates used to be personal (not in the PP way) and transfer with you unless you moved Department. For example Paris was a 75 Department (all postcodes are then 75***) Eure et Loire is 28 Department (Postcodes 28***) If you moved from Paris to Eure et Loire you used to have to have a new number.

In UK folks can do what they like with little regulation and little enforcement of 'illegal' plates.

I have no problems if other people want to spend their money on private plates. Or the fact that the dvla is making a profit on this.
What I don't like is the illegal spacing....

Although I do like the German plates. Better looking fonts, cool regional logos. No age displays and same colour front and back.

German plates are 'personal' to the individual. When you change cars you put your 'personal' plate on to the new car. The first letters (before the two dots} refer to the city/town where you live - M=Munich, S=Stuttgart, COC=Cochem etc. If you move from say Munich to Stuttgart you have to register you car and get a new number and set of plates issued. It is also possible to register a car or motorcycle for say 6 months of the year at a reduced rate. Useful for people who only use a motorcycle, soft-top or classic car during the summer months. This is also indicated on the number plates. All new plates issued are EU type plates. There are no cases of mis-spaced letters and numbers etc because the local government department 'issues' the plates and it is illegal for anyone else to make up number plates. There are still some personal plates about. The best one I've seen was on a Porsche 911 near Stuttgart - S:EX 69!!

Germans can collect their new car direct from the Audi factory if the want to. If you visit the Audi Forum at the factory in Ingolstadt, you will see people arriving to collect the new car with a set of number plates under their arms. They hand these in at reception and then go on a factory tour and then have some lunch by which time their plates have been fitted to their new car and it is in the collection area at the specified time wait for them. Audi show them round their new car, they have the photo taken with it and then drive it home. Makes for a great day.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks and Leeber
German plates are 'personal' to the individual. When you change cars you put your 'personal' plate on to the new car. The first letters (before the two dots} refer to the city/town where you live - M=Munich, S=Stuttgart, COC=Cochem etc. If you move from say Munich to Stuttgart you have to register you car and get a new number and set of plates issued. It is also possible to register a car or motorcycle for say 6 months of the year at a reduced rate. Useful for people who only use a motorcycle, soft-top or classic car during the summer months. This is also indicated on the number plates. All new plates issued are EU type plates. There are no cases of mis-spaced letters and numbers etc because the local government department 'issues' the plates and it is illegal for anyone else to make up number plates. There are still some personal plates about. The best one I've seen was on a Porsche 911 near Stuttgart - S:EX 69!!

Germans can collect their new car direct from the Audi factory if the want to. If you visit the Audi Forum at the factory in Ingolstadt, you will see people arriving to collect the new car with a set of number plates under their arms. They hand these in at reception and then go on a factory tour and then have some lunch by which time their plates have been fitted to their new car and it is in the collection area at the specified time wait for them. Audi show them round their new car, they have the photo taken with it and then drive it home. Makes for a great day.

It is a nice system. Great descriptive posts here!

Presumably theres no way we can also collect our cars from the factory?

A friend of mine from LA went to "collect" his from the factory. He was offered a flight deal, was given a tour of the production line, a comprehensive short insurance (he had fun driving around the alps), got his German plates. He then flew back to LA and waited for his car to be shipped (20 days). He kept the German plates on and just stuck the local plate at the back of the car. Under California law only the back plates needs to be legally shown.

I'm not saying I'd like to do exactly what he did, but going to the dealers on a rainy day here doesn't mirror the experiences of some of our fellow Audi drivers from other parts of the world.

It is a nice system. Great descriptive posts here!

Presumably theres no way we can also collect our cars from the factory?

A friend of mine from LA went to "collect" his from the factory. He was offered a flight deal, was given a tour of the production line, a comprehensive short insurance (he had fun driving around the alps), got his German plates. He then flew back to LA and waited for his car to be shipped (20 days). He kept the German plates on and just stuck the local plate at the back of the car. Under California law only the back plates needs to be legally shown.

I'm not saying I'd like to do exactly what he did, but going to the dealers on a rainy day here doesn't mirror the experiences of some of our fellow Audi drivers from other parts of the world.

As far as I'm aware the only Audi, that UK customers can collect from the factory is the R8. I've been told the the problem is due to the car having to be given a temporary registration in Germany and then registered again in the UK when it entered the UK where it would not be regarded as a new car, having already been registered in another county. I must admit it something I would very much like to do myself.

Its important the plate make has their post code and details on the plate, otherwise they are not legal. Certainly round here the old bill are quite keen on that. Most web based suppliers do not do that.

The garage supplied mine, but they had those horrid black tabs on the bottom with the garage name in large lettering. I took them off and replaced them with the plates from my previous car - much better!

I've had plates sourced on the internet on my car for a few years. Although the font, letters and spacing of the letters/numbers conforms to the legal standard (I dislike people trying to make the reg look like some word or name...) my plates don't have all that 'makers name and postcode' detail on them. I opted not to have them. I know it makes them technically illegal but I've never been stopped and the car went through a number of MOTs with no problem because the format of the displayed reg IS legal. Anyway, the black plate holders that my dealer fits as standard would cover this info anyway!

I've had plates sourced on the internet on my car for a few years. Although the font, letters and spacing of the letters/numbers conforms to the legal standard (I dislike people trying to make the reg look like some word or name...) my plates don't have all that 'makers name and postcode' detail on them. I opted not to have them. I know it makes them technically illegal but I've never been stopped and the car went through a number of MOTs with no problem because the format of the displayed reg IS legal. Anyway, the black plate holders that my dealer fits as standard would cover this info anyway!

SNAP.........Same for me too.

I've been using Myshowplates for several years and probably have ordered around 15 sets of plates off them in that time.

The current ones on my A6 use the correct font / spacing etc and are legal in those areas. I have Scotland Flags at both sides as well as my name in the middle bottom of the plate. There are no postcodes / kitemarks etc on my plates.

Never been stopp ed by the police in around 7 years and have sailed through the last 4 MOT's

Same here I've had show plates for years with legal font and spacing which is the important thing to be noted here because if you don't have legal font and spacing then the plate recognition technology that's in the police cars can't read it meaning the police will pull you over!